Blade Runner - Deckard's ID badge

spoudastis

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I wanted to share my progress on making Deckard's ID badge from the original Blade Runner. Below is an original as photographed by Carl Tate and Richard Coyle at worldcon.

BR_ID_Front_web.jpgBR_ID_back_web.jpg

I started off with a free blank ID badge by MikeJ located here:

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=281807&highlight=blade+runner
MikeJ did an awesome job and the measurements align almost exactly with the original. Because the file is a pdf I was able to open it in illustrator and strip out the "x" and move a couple of things around slightly. Below is the ID freshly imported into photoshop and after I added the wear with various brushes. The badge is really small, only about 2" across so most of the wear will probably not be very visible although if you look at the original it is pretty beat up inside the lamination.

BR Blank_ID_web.jpgbadge grunge_web.JPG

I also worked on setting up a photo. I wanted a picture of deckard in a patrolman uniform so I snagged one off the web and stitched it with Deckard's head.

id process.JPG

I have some amberlithe for the orange "x" and I will later laminate and add the clip. Stay tuned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing new, but here's a full-sized screengrab of the production artwork for the badge from the 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition Blu-ray:

PoliceID.jpg

The only part that does not match the Worldcon badge and screengrabs from the film is the name. The final versions had the names centered and without any roman numerals.

"OF THE AMERICAN PENAL COED" Not every original prop is perfect, after all. I wonder if that was something done to make spotting replicas (with the proper spelling) easier, like a canary trap?

"OF THE AMERICAN PENAL COED" Not every original prop is perfect, after all. I wonder if that was something done to make spotting replicas (with the proper spelling) easier, like a canary trap?
Who knows? Good eyes though, I didn’t even spot it myself!
Anyways, for what it’s worth, here’s a couple screenshots I had laying around. I know there’s a better one out there where Deckard is pointing at his ID that shows good detail on his ID photo (especially when viewed in native 2160p)
662C3D60-8794-4242-BD44-69C71E1EC3EA.jpegB80957F2-C7EC-45AB-841A-F7D359B90CFA.jpeg

Thanks for sharing this! Although it may not be new I have never seen this before and it is making me reconsider the name Im using, I think I may switch it to "R. Deckard XV" :cheers

Nothing new, but here's a full-sized screengrab of the production artwork for the badge from the 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition Blu-ray:

View attachment 845023

The only part that does not match the Worldcon badge and screengrabs from the film is the name. The final versions had the names centered and without any roman numerals.

Who knows? Good eyes though, I didn’t even spot it myself!
Anyways, for what it’s worth, here’s a couple screenshots I had laying around. I know there’s a better one out there where Deckard is pointing at his ID that shows good detail on his ID photo (especially when viewed in native 2160p)
Idly, I wonder if the red X over the badge was supposed to be a symbol of Deckard's retirement; maybe 'active' Blade Runners of the era wouldn't have it? We never get to see Gaff's ID to compare, sadly.

There is the "James Jacobson" badge above that has the X. Interesting idea but I guess there are not too many examples to compare.

Idly, I wonder if the red X over the badge was supposed to be a symbol of Deckard's retirement; maybe 'active' Blade Runners of the era wouldn't have it? We never get to see Gaff's ID to compare, sadly.

I finished printing and gathering all the materials I needed. I printed the badge itself on 180g glossy brochure paper and the photo on glossy photo paper. The brochure paper is a perfect satin finish as opposed to a gloss, everything was printed on my inject printer and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and that all the worn detail was picked up.

Below is everything I need including a 1/4" corner cutter, amberlith, and 10mil laminate sheets. I also have three varieties of clips, none are an exact match to the reference pick but they are close enough. I am going to make this badge like the "Jacobson" badge even though Deckard never wore one in the film although there was a badge in his wallet.

IMG-5672.JPG

I cut the amberlith "x" and used spray adhesive to attach the photo, cut nice and crooked, over the top. I then masked the badge and did a very light mist of spray adhesive on the amberlith to hold it in place.

IMG-5673.JPG

I trimmed the amberlith corners and will try and finish it off in the next couple of days. Just need to add a signature, laminate, and add the clip.

IMG-5674.JPGIMG-5675.JPG

Attachments

• IMG-5673.JPG
    IMG-5673.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 788
I finished up the ID and am pretty happy with how it came out. I laminated with 7mil then used an ID hole punch for the clip. Ill probably make another for myself that weathers the badge a little and improves the signature on the back. This one will be in the mail to my friend.

I ended up getting clips from office depot, hobby lobby and ebay. They were all pretty close to the screen used one but not 100% so I ended up using the ebay ones which are a little less refined/machined than from the big box stores. I will be doing a limited run so keep an eye out on the project runs thread.

final.jpg front_final.jpgback_final.jpg

I finished up the ID and am pretty happy with how it came out. I laminated with 7mil then used an ID hole punch for the clip. Ill probably make another for myself that weathers the badge a little and improves the signature on the back. This one will be in the mail to my friend.

I ended up getting clips from office depot, hobby lobby and ebay. They were all pretty close to the screen used one but not 100% so I ended up using the ebay ones which are a little less refined/machined than from the big box stores. I will be doing a limited run so keep an eye out on the project runs thread.

View attachment 847512 View attachment 847514View attachment 847513

...Any idea when you might be posting that? I'll be on vacation for the next two weeks but I don't want to miss out.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back