Blade runner blaster - metal Coyle

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

spoudastis

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A few months ago I purchased my full metal Coyle blaster and I finally have had time to get started on it between moving and the birth of my second child. This is going to be a slow burn build but I wanted to keep a log of my progress.

The project started with me contacting Rich about picking up a couple of metal pieces to upgrade my Coyle CS+T resin blaster and progressed to me very quickly succumbing and purchasing a full metal kit. I build models and am fairly experienced but this is the first time I have tackled anything like this. Wish me luck.

The obligatory shot of all the pieces lovingly set out on the bench ready to go.

image.jpg

And the inner grip frame. This was a test piece just to get used to the material and see what I needed to do to get a nice shine on the parts. I started with 80 grit to rough out the shape and worked down to 1500. I'm waiting on some buffing pads to arrive from Amazon to finish it off but so far the process seems promising though there are still a few scratches.

image.jpg

Hopefully more to come soon.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

I Athena I

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have to say that this Blade Runner blaster is one of my favorite weapons!
I can sympathize for your build a head. My dad made one and then converted
it to, live fire. It's so cool. I can't wait to see the rest of your build. Good luck!
:thumbsup

~ I Athena I

Last edited by a moderator:

asalaw

Sr Member
Is that cast aluminum? Looks like it. Don't forget to try a Scotchbrite pad on it. Works great on metals.

spoudastis

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It is cast pewter. It is quite rough in its raw state but with some work it polishes up to almost a chrome shine.

Is that cast aluminum? Looks like it. Don't forget to try a Scotchbrite pad on it. Works great on metals.

Sean

Sr Member
Cool beans! subscribed...

may I ask what kind of buffing pads your waiting on? I'm attempting to build a ghost with one of Rich's kits. rough going so far..

spoudastis

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Nice, good luck with the ghost, I love the way those look. These are what I ordered on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XAQCI6?redirect=true

i tried a buffing wheel in my grinder and it didn't work so well, hoping these give me a better shine with the dremel. The progression i used was 80, 150, 220, 320, 400, 600, 1200, 1500. And it turned out pretty shiny with a quick buff with a rag. I have read that hitting the parts with mag wheel polish after the sanding really makes a big difference as well. Good luck, and I'll let you know what ends up working best for me.

Cool beans! subscribed...

may I ask what kind of buffing pads your waiting on? I'm attempting to build a ghost with one of Rich's kits. rough going so far..

Sean

Sr Member
Nice, good luck with the ghost, I love the way those look. These are what I ordered on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XAQCI6?redirect=true

i tried a buffing wheel in my grinder and it didn't work so well, hoping these give me a better shine with the dremel. The progression i used was 80, 150, 220, 320, 400, 600, 1200, 1500. And it turned out pretty shiny with a quick buff with a rag. I have read that hitting the parts with mag wheel polish after the sanding really makes a big difference as well. Good luck, and I'll let you know what ends up working best for me.

Thank you very kindly. and I think you will do a fine job with your build.

spoudastis

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'll look into that. When you say you buff, do you buff with a machine or by hand? And the polish will get the piece scratch free even after only 400 grit? Thanks.

The order i follow, file carefully with jewelers files. Sand with 180, 220, 300,400.

then buff with this stuff..
http://www.nevrdull.com

a wipe with a lint-free cotton rag, and the piece is ready.

spoudastis

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hit it the inner grip with mag wheel polish and man what a difference! It looks like polished stainless steel, makes me consider doing a ghost now :D. In the first image you can see the reflection of the camera and my shirt.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Thank you very kindly. and I think you will do a fine job with your build.

spoudastis

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Got a chance to work on the butt plate. This will be the last of the in progress polish pics as from now on I will be roughing out the parts and then fitting them before refining and polishing. Started with 80 on the belt sander to get the bottom flat then progressed up to 600. Polished with my dremel then with mag wheel polish. You can still see some skratches so I'll probably go back at some point and redo this part, I just wanted to quickly see how the dremel polishing worked out.

image.jpgimage.jpg

mugatu

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just found this! I LOVE this gun! I can't wait to see your finished piece.

Quick question: I'm unfamiliar with handling pewter. I believe it is a soft metal. Is it so soft that one would need to be very careful handling the prop, once it's completed, to ensure not damaging it? For example, can you crease/dent/mark the pewter with a fingernail?

Mechanized

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Good luck with the build! It's a time piece but well worth the effort you'll put into it. Getting one of Rich's blasters was my Holy Grail. Having one is by far my favorite prop, can't beat what he makes.

spoudastis

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hope me you like the build I'm enjoying myself already!

the pewter that Rich uses is an alloy, not 100% pure pewter, so it's not noticeably soft. It is easy to work but you would never damage the metal by handling it. Dropping it would do some damage I image though.

Just found this! I LOVE this gun! I can't wait to see your finished piece.

Quick question: I'm unfamiliar with handling pewter. I believe it is a soft metal. Is it so soft that one would need to be very careful handling the prop, once it's completed, to ensure not damaging it? For example, can you crease/dent/mark the pewter with a fingernail?

spoudastis

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thanks! This and Hans greedo killer are my favorite blasters, but this ones design is stunning. I can't wait till I can have this one on display.

Good luck with the build! It's a time piece but well worth the effort you'll put into it. Getting one of Rich's blasters was my Holy Grail. Having one is by far my favorite prop, can't beat what he makes.