Blade Runner Blaster Holster Build

FPLeatherCo

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Been trying to score Deckard's blaster for a while but it's a pretty big project to commit to. In the meantime, I grabbed the Takagi version which would be a good start on which to model the holster. Here's how I did it:

IMG_3139.JPG

First, I grabbed all the reference material I could find and properly scaled a picture of the blaster in Inkscape. After a couple versions, I came up with the design that I thought best reflected the original in terms of size and shape. The Safariland holsters on which the blaster holster was based used spring clamps to secure the gun. I wanted a holster that wouldn't put any pressure on the blaster so I opted for a design that uses a strap and snap to keep the blaster in place. I'm debating whether to include the additional belt slot but left if off the final holster for now.

IMG_3138.JPG

Here I've got all the materials cut out and stitching marks drawn on. I'm using vegetable tanned leather for the shell and a nice light green suede for the interior which is accurate to the original.

IMG_3140.JPG

Leather is dyed up and waiting for an oil coat to be applied.

IMG_3141.JPG

Shoe-makers contact cement to attach the lining to the shell.

IMG_3142.JPG

All the parts ready for stitching. Leather has been oiled and finished with a wax-based top coat. The retention strap is glued between the layers and the brass snap was also attached before affixing the lining so the metal won't rub on the gun.

IMG_3143.JPG

All the holes punched and ready for stitching.

IMG_3144.JPG

Everything stitched up on each half of the holster. Takes a bit of time to saddle stitch everything but it's not too complicated a stitch up. Mostly just flat surfaces. I also beveled, dyed, and burnished the outside edges so each half is pretty much finished.
IMG_3145.JPG

Now to attach the two sides I need to glue a welt between them to add some additional width to accommodate the thickness of the gun. I'm using some thicker vegtan leather for the welt.

IMG_3146.JPG

Got the welt glued in, trimmed, sanded down and ready to be dyed and burnished.

IMG_3147.JPG

Now I've got one flat looking holster. That's good for stitching the welt together but I'll need to shape it later.

IMG_3148.JPG

Another view of the newly burnished edge.

IMG_3149.JPG

And got the welt all stitched up.

IMG_3150.JPG

Since the welt made the edge so thick the stitches got a little off line on the backside but that's fine. It's not noticeable and easy to fix next time around and the front is nice and straight.

IMG_3151.JPG
IMG_3152.JPG

Finally, time to mold the holster to the blaster. Usually, I wouldn't recommend ever submerging a piece of leatherwork in water but since I was confident how this holster would react I dunked it in a pot of room-temperature water and then worked the gun into the holster. Installed the final snap once I knew exactly where it should go and snapped the gun in place to let the holster dry. Once advantage to using the water pistol is I don't need to worry about getting it wet.

And some pictures of the final product. Once the holster dried up a bit I was able to buff a nice shine back into it. Fits the blaster snuggly but not too snuggly and I like how the suede lining turned out. Now I just need a better blaster.

IMG_3153.JPG IMG_3154.JPG IMG_3155.JPG IMG_3156.JPG IMG_3157.JPG IMG_3158.JPG IMG_3159.JPG

Thanks for the compliments! I've been thinking about making this for probably a year and have had that green suede sitting on my shelf for almost that long. It's no nice to see a project finally come to fruition.

Funky - I'm probably gonna add this to my Etsy store at some point. I'm thinking around $175 or so but have to think about costs a bit more.

Nice craftsmanship on the holster. I think that the strap is a good alternative to the spring steel insert. Well done!
David

Nice craftsmanship on the holster. I think that the strap is a good alternative to the spring steel insert. Well done!
David

Yeah, not only would it be difficult to source and install the spring but I'd hate pull out my blaster too fast and rip off all the greeblies.

No kidding! I've got a real Safariland and it would sure streamline a blaster the first time around! A big honkin' heater like the blaster would really need some additional support. And probably suspenders to keep your pants up!

No kidding! I've got a real Safariland and it would sure streamline a blaster the first time around! A big honkin' heater like the blaster would really need some additional support. And probably suspenders to keep your pants up!

Very cool! Got any pictures of your original Safariland you'd share?

This is an older Safariland Model 1000 large auto shoulder holster Along with the spring metal clamp that holds things in, there is an adjustable strap for security and a snapped belt loop to keep it from flopping around. There's also a metal "guide along the back welt that helps keep the front sight from wearing into the leather (I guess). They are kind of quick pictures, but I think it shows the major parts. Front to back, I measure 3"; center of the keeper strap snap to bottom, I get 6.8"; the back welt is 0.6" thick.
David
DSC_0344.JPG
DSC_0345.JPG
DSC_0346.JPG
DSC_0347.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back