Blade Runner Blaster completed

PHArchivist

Master Member
As some may have noticed, Blade Runner has been on my mind of late...

I've recently finished this version of the Deckard blaster. My apologies, FWIW, that this is not a Coyle kit. My own loss, I know.

It may not be 100% accurate to the screen prop, but 100% accuracy on this one seems to be ever-elusive. So I finished it the way I felt it should be...

I hope you enjoy the pics...

Very beautiful, I've been tempted to pick up one of these kits for a long time, maybe this will push me over that edge.

Thanks for the comps, guys...

Ok here's a brief run-down on the paint...

We all have our secret formula for "gun black" -- my favorite is Crown Ace Hardware's Wrought Iron Black. I spray it, wet sand it to 2500 grit, then coat it with a thin coat of Testor's Semi-gloss. On the Stayr barrel, due to a happy accident, I polished this with a cotton tee shirt and got a very nice shine (check the pics closely).

The grips were also wet-sanded to 2500, then coated with multiple coats of Future BUT they were not glossy enough for me, so I hit then with a rattle can clear gloss (forgot which brand). The grips appear dark because I painted the entire pistol frame black, including that area near the top that is done in silver on most replicas. I really like the darker look.

The butt plate is simply Testor's buffable Aluminum Plate. I really love this stuff when you get a truly effective buff out of it. Another happy accident -- I'd applied some masking tape over it and when it peeled off it marred the finish. So I sprayed again, buffed again, and some of the marring remained and looked beautifully like a naturally beat up part. The resin was a charcoal grey, so for the bottom I just sanded off most of the Aluminum paint.

The triggers and guard started as the ALuminum Plate too, but I brushed on thin coats of Model Master brush-on Steel, sanded that to 2000 grit, then washed them again with black.

Here's some pics "in context"...

Do you like the juxtaposition? I don't have a Blade Runner poster.

Very nice description, thanks.

I have mine on a shelf right now and I love the variations of yours, spinner44's and WinstonWolf's... I just need to tackle the painting of this prop.

All of the great tips I have seen lately have given me quite a few good ideas. It looks like one of the successful common elements is to get a really good wet sanding in.

And yes, LOVE the display... add some alien props and it will be the Ridley Scott wall.

-Bryan

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth Lars @ May 20 2006, 07:09 PM) [snapback]1247567[/snapback]</div>
Looks great. :thumbsup
I have never been able to get such a nice finish myself. First, I thought it was metal.
[/b]

Now that's a great compliment.

The technique I used ofr the Steyr really looks cool.

<div class='quotetop'>(obi1kenny @ May 21 2006, 05:35 AM) [snapback]1247809[/snapback]</div>
Looks great my good man, makes me want to bust out my old kit and work on it. Also, great to meet you a few weeks back.
[/b]

Thank ya -- thank ya very much. And ditto --Staurday was a good time had by all.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back