Blade Runner Blaster Colors?

PHArchivist

Master Member
I know this has been hashed, and re-hashed...

But what is considered Canon for the colors of the various elements of the gun?

I scanned the "Debunking" thread, and accept the butt plate is silver, the Stayer is blued, etcetera.

But what about the grip frame? Especially the front and back that is exposed? Is it silver, as in some old shots on RAC's site, or is it gunmetal too...?

What about the various add-ons? The "laser pointer", the bolt, the screws and switches (safety?)..?

Did Phil's update post of a few months ago get archived? As I recall, he confirmed some of the 'minority' opinions from the 'debunking' thread.

Bottom butt plate is black. Front and Back of frame between grips is silver. :)

I'm finishing up one myself. Got the above info from RAC himself a couple weeks back.

Jay

Here are some screen shots and pics of the original gun.

gripandbutt.jpg

16_1.jpg

16a.jpg

br-back.jpg

bladerunner3.jpg

On my BR blaster I went with gunmetal on the bolt housing, titanium on the bolt and bolt handle, magnesium on the pistol frame and cylinder, and satin black on the grip frame and magazine housing and covers.

DSCF0891.jpg

DSCF0908.jpg

BR3a.jpg

BR1a.jpg

It's not 100% accurate, but I like the look. :)

Thanks for the caps, Wolf.

Love to see more -- from anyone...

Here's a question...

Is there consensus as to whether the trigger guard and triggers of the original hero prop were somewhat tarnished or weathered?

So many fine looking replicas have clean, pristine silver components, and somehow appear to be missing some "character".

Yours, Wolf, looks like actual brushed metal, which retains that "character"...

But many cleanly-painted silver components look a little too perfect...

All the metal parts of the gun (minus the Steyr ammo housing and clip, that are made of nylon) were blued to a high polish finish. Then (this is my guess), prior to reassemble them, they were worn out using steel wool. That would explain why the diffrerent finishes.

The barrel, Steyr receiver and lever look like a medium gunmetal-steel grey. The side covers of the Bulldog drum are high polished blued, same as the "laser pointer". Steyr magazine is semi gloss black. Bulldog frame, triggers and trigger guard are worn polished to a almost natural steel color. The grip frame is dark gloss blued, with minor wearing where it meets the buttplate. Buttplate itself is natural polished steel on the sides and worned blue on the flat part.

WinstonWolf359, congratulations, IMO you have made one of the most film accurate depictions of the gun. I would change one thing maybe, just making the sides of the buttplate a lighter shade of steel, almost like the one on your trigger guard.

Thanks for the insight, Spinner. Yours is another that did not go with the pristine bright aluminum/silver, and I like it...

I'm in the finishing stages of mine at the moment. Right now I have the trigger guard et al painted in bufffable Testors Aluminum, but I am going to experiment with "tranishing" it a bit...

What aboout the two "grooved" switches on either side of the gun? The one on the right (bolt lever side) should be black, but what about the one on the left?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PHArchivist @ May 11 2006, 06:41 PM) [snapback]1242676[/snapback]</div>
Thanks for the insight, Spinner. Yours is another that did not go with the pristine bright aluminum/silver, and I like it...
[/b]
I think you may be mixing up Spinner 44's here. I think the one I painted is what you might be referring to:

[attachmentid=7988]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PHArchivist @ May 11 2006, 06:41 PM) [snapback]1242676[/snapback]</div>

What aboout the two "grooved" switches on either side of the gun? The one on the right (bolt lever side) should be black, but what about the one on the left?
[/b]

Thanks for the words but actually they should go to spinner44.com (very similar nicks I know). His blaster is the one you are refering to. I have mine disassembled to make a few modifications but I haven't painted it yet.

The one on the left, should be natural steel with a wash of black-blue, as if it had been blued and then polished with steel wool, leaving traces of the blue in the grooves.

Ok first the Grip frame is black (or gunmetal blue..) between the grips.

I went with a Brand New Finish for a few reasons, First is many when spending the price for something like this expect it to look great and a worn scruffy model looks bad.

And if is much easier to do worn and scruffy to a new looking finish that the turn a worn scruffy finish into a new look finish...

Fact, try it some time....

I am completely in agreement with spinner 44 with the added idea that they may have also used a gull coat to cut reflections.

Rich

Great looking blasters guys. :)

Thanks for the kind words about my blaster, too. :$

The trigger guard on my blaster IS brushed metal, which explains why it has "the look." The triggers are also bare metal as well.

The butt plate on mine is intentionally darker than the prop, though it looks even darker in these pics that it does in person. I went a little crazy with the weathering and liked how it turned out so I left it. Though these pics are blurry as hell they show the color a little better. IIRC it's a random mix of bright aluminium, magnesium, burnt iron, and plain old black dry-brushed in layers.

DSCF0904.jpg

DSCF0903.jpg

Cool Rich. Totally makes sense.

Wolf, the butt plate on yurs looks really good. I also like the darker amber grips you have...

Spinner(s) 44 -- you're both right. ;)

I just hosed this Doppleganger kit down with a gunmetally automotive enamel and a Krylon silver. I really did not put a lot of time in it since I just put it on Ebay afterwards. It was a neat kit with some fun obstacles.

Also shown is the Vid-Phon artwork I located from an old magazine publication that went on to be used for the plastic cards that so many members here enjoy.

pkd1.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spinner 44 @ May 11 2006, 05:05 PM) [snapback]1242627[/snapback]</div>
WinstonWolf359, congratulations, IMO you have made one of the most film accurate depictions of the gun. I would change one thing maybe, just making the sides of the buttplate a lighter shade of steel, almost like the one on your trigger guard.
[/b]

Just finished watching the movie (again), and must agree with this statement.

Many replicas (mine included so far) have colors that are far too bright or rich - the amber (orange) grips, the bright aluminum triggers and guard, jet black barrel components...

Wolf, yours is just right...

How did you do the grips? Were they -- to begin with -- the fairly common more-orange type resin that is so prevalent now?

I didn't like the bright orange look. I did a test what it may look like if the back of the grips were painted black. However, I don't wanted to spoil the grips. So I used some transparent double sided tape to stick black paper against the back of the grip for a test. The grips became a lot darker and as the tape didn't stick evenly it had a very interesting amber effect:

AmberGrips.jpg

Not screen accurate but interesting....

Cheers,
Stefan

In the top frame of this collage, there is a large portion of the pistol frame at the top of the grips, and underneath the grips (visible through the clear resin). On many replicas I've seen, this (and any other portion of the frame visible through the clear resin) is painted silver.

Is there proof that this is the way the original prop was finished?

Is this part of the original Bulldog, and if so, how was it finished on the original revolver?

I have mine painted silver too, based on the other replicas I have seen, but am now wondering how it'd appear if it too were black (or blued). Would that then give the more appropriate darker appearance to the amber grips?

Also, if the exposed parts of the frame handle (front and back, exposed between the grips) are blued, why wouldn't the rest of it be blued too?

BTW, this is not a criticsm of those that have these parts done in silver. The silver offers a very cool look , allowing the frame to be more prominent under the grips, lending a "real" feel...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spinner44.com @ May 11 2006, 07:41 PM) [snapback]1242706[/snapback]</div>
[attachmentid=7988]
[/b]

Also, after watching the film again, I'm fairly convinced that the trigger guard is closer to a steel color (like Spinner has done), similar to a Testor's Steel. In the film, it appears (at least to me) to be consistently darker than the butt plate.

At least that is my interpretation, and hence how I'll do mine. And that's what this damn hobby is all about, right?

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back