Blade Runner Bathroom

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Jon Laymon

My partner and I are doing the bathroom in our new facility very much like Deckard's from the original.

We began with some quick CAD for a layout:

Deckard_CAD_1.jpg

We'll be doing a shower instead of a tub, and the room proportions are different (taller, narrower) but should still allow us to capture the look and feel.

Next some quick renders from the CAD to test lighting and sunrise/sunset:

BATHROOM_TEST_3.jpg

We sort of like the stainless steel toiled idea, though strictly speaking it appears Deckard has just a standard, fake-wood/brown toilet lid. Also, we aren't sure about the floor. Elsewhere the apartment has quasi-terra-cotta tiles. A dark floor helps with the lighting, so perhaps slate. Not sure yet.

BATHROOM_TEST_3b.jpg

After this test, we decided we're going to do the slotted-wood-paneling look in the shower.

In any case, time to build. We began by extending part of an existing concrete pad outside the building.

Deckard_1.jpg

Deckard_2.jpg

Deckard_3.jpg

Deckard_4.jpg

Below you can see the profile outline for the sink.
Deckard_5.jpg

Deckard_6.jpg

Making the former for the fiberglass sink.
Deckard_7.jpg

We grabbed an Ennis tile...
Deckard_8.jpg

Moudled it, and are casting in custom-tinted concrete.
Deckard_9.jpg

We've also obtained a working Panasonic TR-535, and will be machining the sink faucet ourselves, along with the wall panel and other sink greeblies. Two items on the counter look like oil and vinegar cruets or salt/pepper shakers. Strongly suspect found items - anybody know?

Anyway, more to come, but it's been a good week so far.

JL

Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

eethan

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
already said it on propsummit, but this is awesome and super interesting to follow. It will be even easier if it's posted here too!
keep us posted with updates, looking forward to see more. (y)

Jon Laymon

We have several ideas for how to color the concrete tiles - it's just going to be experimentation, but we really like the natural, real pitting and such we get from dry-packing the mould. Because the tiles are actually stone and not just fiberglass, the room is going to have that cold, almost tomb-like feel, which should be cool.

Deckard_10.jpg

We are hiding drawers behind 3 of the panels on the post. You can also see the fiberglass sink in place now.
Deckard_12.jpg

LTsmash1200

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is for our new fabrication shop. We build a lot of stuff for the Disney and Universal theme parks, and decided to do something for ourselves for a change :) We're doing various rooms and parts of it modeled after the movies that inspired us as kids.

That's awesome, I hope we get threads like this for those other rooms too!

sstnickg

I am knocked out with this!
Kudo's to you for attempting [and by the look of it ,soon succeeding] this.
Still trying to bring a bit of Blade runner into my daily life, but only have Blinds on the house up to now-still trying to talk my lady into installing a slow moving "disco ball" type light in the kitchen to throw some bars of light into the front room from the kitchen.
Its a dream I have.
Will follow this avidly.
All the very best of luck to you,
Nick G

Jon Laymon

Great question.

The panels in Blade Runner are obviously fiberglass, or at least not real stone... sometimes embarrassingly so, right down to the brush strokes in the black wash. And I think if we were going for a precise re-creation that might be the move. But this is a long-term, real installation, and bathrooms can be pretty harsh environments. So we wanted to take the reel to real so to speak. The truth is, when you're actually standing in a room surrounded by stone you can feel it. You can hear it; it changes the temperature and the ambience of the space. If you reach out, it's not a fake; it's not theme painted. It's real. We can paint MDF to look like metal, but that's nowhere near as sexy as if it IS metal, you know? The walls have Durock on them, and adhering the panels to the wall isn't a problem. And hopefully, the room will be like this for a long long time to come!

Darrellt

I totally get it and support your effort. Just the way light would play off it makes sense. I would put radiant heat in the floors tho. :)

robstyle

Master Member
Some of the original Blade Runner wall flats were saved and re-discovered awhile back. If memory serves they were buried behind years of various set flats in storage. This I found out some time back when a similar idea of using the tile design for a kitchen ceiling came to mind.

Attachments

• BRWALLS.jpg
    BRWALLS.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 181

Jon Laymon

Darrellt - In Florida, as an exterior structure which gets sun all day, and where "winter" is about 60 degrees, thankfully we won't need radiant heat! That'd be the move though, for sure.

robstyle - interesting how much sharper those pulls are than the multi-generation-loss softness of so many other panels...!

So we ultimately settled on pouring the tiles out of white stucco, and will be staining them all in situ once they're on the walls.

Deckard_13.jpg

We have about 50 of these to pull or so. We experimented a bunch with different base concrete mixtures, stains, and tried to see how fast we could pull them without breaking. Too dry a pack, and too impatient a pull yielded a couple of these pro gems. It'll just be a secret between us.

Deckard_17.jpg

They come out really sharp - a touch too sharp wethinks. When they're slightly softer the edges catch the light better, and match the on-screen aesthetic a bit better, so we hit them with a concrete brush while still relatively fresh.

Deckard_15.jpg

You can see the sharper/softer before/after shots here:

Deckard_14.jpg

Deckard_16.jpg

It's subtle, but we don't want to go too far - we can always go further with that later by sanding/grinding.

In other news, began fiberglassing the curved section below the mirrors:

Deckard_19.jpg

Deckard_20.jpg

This will ultimately be wrapped in another material, painted that custom goldish-greenish metal in the film. Probably using some Alclad II in automotive paint.

Also getting the edge lathe in place and a first pass of taping and mud in preparation for mounting things.

Deckard_18.jpg

In the next post, we'll be looking at the sink, which upon further reflection we've realized is too big. Well... "further reflection" and a couple of helpful members noting as much and letting us know. It's all about the references, and we dug around to find some more. We're redoing the CAD for that, now, and though bummed about having to redo that fiberglass piece, that's just the way it goes, sometimes.

Okay, most of the time.

Stay tuned.

JL

eethan

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
awesome update! I really love the tiles. I love that they are all different and have all the little stucco imperfection. It will look great (y)