Blade Runner: Background Extras' Patches ID'ed

Mike J.

Master Member
Turns out some of them are 'off-the-shelf' US Army patches (some worn sideways), not something Tom Southwell drew up:

http://gndn.wordpress.com/

-MJ

Attachments

• bsinb.jpg
    bsinb.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 968
  • Eagle Guys.jpg
    Eagle Guys.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 1,562
I wish I had seen your post before diving into my own research project on these patches, Mike J. :) I can add what I think is a cool detail to the conversation.

With regard to the brown uniform background actors: the U.S. Army 27th Infantry Division insignia has an interesting design history. The 27th was formed from the New York National Guard (hence the NYD – New York Division – you can pull out of the line work), and during WWI under the command of Major General John F. O’Ryan, who’s role was memorialized with a play on words depicted in the stars shown on the insignia: the seven primary stars the make up the constellation Orion.

I believe that the use of these patches is purely coincidence (based on the evolution of that famous line, and the production timeline), and I have not found any discussion regarding insignia’s design in any of my research to date. The serendipity, though, makes me happy.
1f603.png
If only it had been used as a shoulder patch...

Attachments

• Patches Cropped.jpg
    Patches Cropped.jpg
    588.5 KB · Views: 201
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back