Done / Completed Blade Runner 2049 "Voight Kampff" *ONE LEFT*

Update time:

There's a bit of good news and bad news wrapped up into one:
Good news=the popup arm, both the outer plates AND central arm can almost certainly be done in metal!

Bad news=for a metal popup, we need at least 20ppl to get onboard OR the cost would go over the $550 'roof' I had projected.

(IMPORTANT TO NOTE: The cost ceiling did NOT include a metal popup, so this would be an extra perk we all have to agree on.)

We are currently at around 16 committed signups and if that number stands, those 16 would have to split the cost to cover the 4 'unclaimed' metal arm slots, which would be maybe an extra 15-20-ish bucks per kit IF all16 stay on. The cost would, of course, go up a few dollars for each additional dropout, if any happen.

I will soon therefore be messaging all confirmed signups to reaffirm commitment and gauge if everyone thinks the extra few dollars is worth it.

An ADDITIONAL bonus
will be that, if we do the metal, I can probably fit a metal laser-cut base plate for a stand, at no additional cost, since the aluminum sheet still has room! (Some resin for a 'holder' still needs to be factored in somewhere though.) IF that happens, the metal plate would look something like this:
1604531074998.png

As a proof-of-concept, I was able to have a plate cut from my file! The left piece here is the laser-cut test by itself (note that the design is not final) and on the right is an updated plate 3d printed in PLA and covered with graphite powder.
1604523980085.png

Finally, there's an UPDATE in the BUILD THREAD too!
Blade Runner 2049 Voight Kampff Eye Scanner Tutorial / Buildup

Add me to the interest list, please.
Fully ready.

Brandon
Will do, thanks!

I am compiling a message that will soon go out to everyone who has committed to the run. We're basically down to waiting on the coder to finish. (I'll be trying to do a buildup using non-final animations just to make sure everything will work. Then we can start collecting payments to order all the parts and materials. I reckon it'll take at least a couple months to order, print, pack and send everything once we get going, so y'all will have stuff to do in the new year!

Small update in the build thread.

Still compiling a message to send out to those that are signed up. As mentioned before, we can all get a metal popup arm if we contribute an extra $15-20 above the earlier projected 550 cost ceiling.

Currently waiting on some more info from the programmer- that's where most time will be needed going forward and he can really only devote tie to this on weekends. I'm 99% done with the shell and mechanism at this point, so am mainly compiling a list of vendors where to get all the parts from!

I've been following your progress. Very impressive, as always. :love:

Please add me to the list for a full kit.

If you end up doing finished builds, I'd love to commission you to build my kit, so put me on that list, too, if such a list ever comes to exist. ;)

I've been following your progress. Very impressive, as always. :love:

Please add me to the list for a full kit.

If you end up doing finished builds, I'd love to commission you to build my kit, so put me on that list, too, if such a list ever comes to exist. ;)
Noted, thank you!

OK folks... important update! Check the build thread. It's not too exciting, but basically, the last major hurdle in making this a reality has been passed. I've been waiting on this confirmation from the programmer before contacting everyone on the list, so it won't be long now before I do so. The programmer needs 1-2 more weekends before he things there will be a final set of code so that he can send me a set of electronics to build into a final working unit.

A message has been sent out to all who have so far signed up. We're getting close folks. Official signups will only be open for a couple more weeks or so. Once the run is locked, any extras might go up in cost (and the metal upgrade possibility will only last until those parts run out).

So.. if you're on the fence, now is the time to chime in!

A message has been sent out to all who have so far signed up. We're getting close folks. Official signups will only be open for a couple more weeks or so. Once the run is locked, any extras might go up in cost (and the metal upgrade possibility will only last until those parts run out).

Hey Joe. Do you have a link for a rechargeable battery as I can’t seem to find one with those dimensions here in the UK.

Hi I’m on the fence as I’m just unsure if what level of work will have to be done to the kit to get it looking like the prop. I’m not very experienced in prop building or painting etc, but would you mind just listing the high level things a buyer would need to do to get it just right

Hi I’m on the fence as I’m just unsure if what level of work will have to be done to the kit to get it looking like the prop. I’m not very experienced in prop building or painting etc, but would you mind just listing the high level things a buyer would need to do to get it just right
Well, you'd need some general knowledge about building/painting model kits. More of the parts will be 'ready to assemble' aside from a little sanding to clean up support 'dimples', optimize fitting and prep for paint. A couple 3mm-4mm metal tubes and/or pins will need to be cut, as well as the circuitboard for the display (which sounds a lot scarier than it is). I suppose the most 'difficult' thing is that you need (very) basic soldering skills to put the electronics together.

Hey Joe. Do you have a link for a rechargeable battery as I can’t seem to find one with those dimensions here in the UK.
I'll try to dig up some suggestions when we get closer to release.

There are probably dozens of options as these are pretty common. 3.7v LIPO., rechargeable.

Something like this (as long as it's within the size range 25mmX5mmX37mm) :
5 x 3.7V 200mAh Lipo Rechargeable Battery 502025 For MP3 headphone smart watch | eBay

NOTE: The one linked does NOT have the little white connector for the power booster. There are batteries that DO have the connector so I'll see what I can find.
The one we used is 25mmX5mmX37mm. (I can see if it has a specific model number.) I suspect you might get away with something slightly larger, but I don't know- you don't want it TOO cramped inside. Since we got our battery locally here in 'little tiny Sweden', I reckon it will be MUCH easier to find elsewhere because our local selections are always lacking.

Last edited:
I'll try to dig up some suggestions when we get closer to release.

There are probably dozens of options as these are pretty common. 3.7v LIPO., rechargeable.

Something like this (as long as it's within the size range 25mmX5mmX37mm) :
5 x 3.7V 200mAh Lipo Rechargeable Battery 502025 For MP3 headphone smart watch | eBay

NOTE: The one linked does NOT have the little white connector for the power booster. There are batteries that DO have the connector so I'll see what I can find.
The one we used is 25mmX5mmX37mm. (I can see if it has a specific model number.) I suspect you might get away with something slightly larger, but I don't know- you don't want it TOO cramped inside. Since we got our battery locally here in 'little tiny Sweden', I reckon it will be MUCH easier to find elsewhere because our local selections are always lacking.

Hey Joe....would this do? It has a depth of 8mm.

Hey Joe....would this do? It has a depth of 8mm.
It might fit, but it's 3mm thicker than the measurements I've been counting on. There is a little extra space in there, but since I haven't done a build with all the electronics yet I don't know exactly how cramped it is. (And there's no way to get inside and measure, haha.) I also can't tell what connector it has from the photo. (You want the connector that works with Adafruit stuff.)

Here's some more info on the battery we're using for the ones we are doing:

1607434633237.png

Searching for "VDO 502535" turns up several pages of links.
(We paid about $8 and that's with the 25% sales tax we have here!)

The Adafruit connector is also called "JST-PH".

(Note: You can of course use a SMALLER battery without issues. It will just need recharging more often.)

So, I had a brief moment of Brexit panic when I noticed that there was an 11-day lead time on the screws we need (M2 buttonhead) and that there's no chance they would arrive in time even if I ordered them now. Apparently, super-small sizes like M2 , in black steel, is not so easy to come by in bulk. You can get them for RC cars, but then they cost a fortune. I had one supplier in the UK that I've used before, but that door is probably closing Jan 1st.

I know there are lots of places in Germany where you can order screws, but as I don't speak German, it's hard to seach!

Luckily, there's a specialty screw shop a few hundred yards from my house, and I asked them about it. Turns out that they could order them direct from Germany! They weren't cheap, and I had to get a lot more than we need in total, but it was manageable! So... the ordering of parts has officially begun!

Also.... head on over to the BUILD THREAD for a near-final update on the electronics!

Finally... I'm a bit worried that several of the folks who have signed up and been contacted have not yet acknowledged that they have received the info I sent out via PM. Maybe the RPF isn't sending out notice-emails (it happens sometimes) but I hope those folks see this and check their PM box. This run is already at minimum level to make the thing work economically and if we lose a bunch of folks... well... let's just say it would likely be the end of any future projects using electronics like this from my end. (My programmer buddy is spending entire weekends on this, while dealing with various medical issues. So he's being a freakin' hero under the circumstances!)

And a reminder: THIS IS A ONE-TIME RUN. I am ordering components in bulk to cover all of us, with a few extra parts in case something goes wrong, but once they're gone, that's it. (Also, if there are any extra sets, those might very well cost more once the run goes into production.)

More soon! It's close now, very, very close!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back