Done / Completed Blade Runner 2049 "Voight Kampff" *ONE LEFT*

Are there still spots open for this? If so put me down for the full kit.
There is no set limit as of yet. Just be aware that since we're not anticipating makeing a lot of them, signing up is committing to the run. (I would not dare invest in the cost of prototyping it otherwise.)

Nothing new to show as of yet, but I did decide that the top lens case will probably have the textured surface in the actual printed model! I think I have a good way to do it.

I'm just gonna see how this goes until I already have money set aside in January too many house repairs right now, great work though

Yikes. The amount of engineering thought needed to make this function in all areas is proving to be quite insane!

1602464080864.png

Keeping the overall shape screen accurate, and fitting the electronics board, rechargeable battery and power booster inside PLUS making latching popup is just nuts. And things like making sure LED wires have someplace to go when you close it, and don't catch anywhere add to the problems. Not to mention the fact that so many areas are so thin, that I have to be extra careful so that everything won't just snap when it springs out. (Different materials will likely come into play. The popup armature need to be printed in something durable. (Machined metal would have been ideal, but there's absolutely no way to do that in such a small run with an acceptable budget.) It's like, every time I solve one problem, another surfaces. I know at first glance the render above looks pretty similar to the render in the OP, but they are night-and-day in terms of what's going on mechanically. (Not to mention probably 1-2 full time work weeks blocking out the internals!) If we were just making an exact 1:1 copy of the screen prop with popup, a flashing white "screen" and RGB LED, it would be much easier. The added "roleplay" electronics eat up tons of interior space. It took a while to really get back into it, but now it's moving along. It's getting there.

Hopefully I'll be able to print up some test parts for functionality soon. That's gonna be interesting....

OK folks. This is where it gets real.

It's also where expenses will start to mount up in terms of R&D, with the ordering of various components and things that need to be tested, along with resin test prints and so on. So again, if you sign up, please make sure you can follow through. This will hopefully be ready Nov-Dec and I know lots of folks have extra expenses come Xmas, so make sure to set aside funds for this.

The above video is just a raw functionality test of the base mechanics. I didn't even install bearings or add lubricant because I wanted to see if the functionality was robust enough to work without any help, which it was, I'm happy to see.

I'll do a longer writeup with photos and post it in the build thread in the main forum soon, but I figured you all would want to see this video.

It's a MAJOR breakthrough and I'm very happy that it seems to work. (I still don't honestly know how I managed to get everything to fit!)

OK folks. This is where it gets real.

It's also where expenses will start to mount up in terms of R&D, with the ordering of various components and things that need to be tested, along with resin test prints and so on. So again, if you sign up, please make sure you can follow through. This will hopefully be ready Nov-Dec and I know lots of folks have extra expenses come Xmas, so make sure to set aside funds for this.

The above video is just a raw functionality test of the base mechanics. I didn't even install bearings or add lubricant because I wanted to see if the functionality was robust enough to work without any help, which it was, I'm happy to see.

I'll do a longer writeup with photos and post it in the build thread in the main forum soon, but I figured you all would want to see this video.

It's a MAJOR breakthrough and I'm very happy that it seems to work. (I still don't honestly know how I managed to get everything to fit!)

Looking great.....perhaps it will be a happy Christmas after all!!!!!

Just a quick question JOATRASH. We briefly exchanged the idea of a power up sound effect on this....will there be any room? Nice to have but not essential.

Looking great.....perhaps it will be a happy Christmas after all!!!!!

Just a quick question JOATRASH. We briefly exchanged the idea of a power up sound effect on this....will there be any room? Nice to have but not essential.
I am currently planning for a piezo buzzer. You can see it under the battery in the render a couple posts ago. There's no room for a proper sound board and speaker, but it should be able to do some 1980s sounding sawtooth waveform sounds! (It might be possible to get close to the "camera whine" effect in the film, but that's a sinus waveform, so it'll sound a little more 'buzzy' if that makes sense.)

And on that note... there's a MAJOR UPDATE in THE BUILD THREAD.

In the future, I'll try to keep any information updates in that thread. (It will also serve as a tutorial on how to assemble the thing.)

There's another big update on the way, as soon as I take care of some other commitments, and I'm currently looking into the (VERY SMALL- no promises, please do not get your hopes up) possibility of doing the popup arm and super-thin plates in metal (either laser cut, machined or printed). It can be done, in some way, but I don't know if it can be done within the budget on the promised max cost. I have a few ideas, but I need to do a lot of checking. It also depends on how many of these we're doing.

Another update:
Blade Runner 2049 Voight Kampff Eye Scanner Tutorial / Buildup

I am currently starting to calculate costs. I am still trying to see if a metal popup armature can be done- if it can be managed (a big IF), it'll be a "one-shot" deal... i.e. there will be no margin for error or redos and will have to be seen more as a really cool 'bonus' if it works out. For that reason, I'm doing everything I can to be as certain as possible it'll work, but since I'm not actually an engineer and have limited experience with etching and laser-cutting, there is a small chance of failure. (The still doesn't affect the base functionality though... the mechanics do already work in 3d printed form.)

Pretty soon I'll do a consolidating pass of everyone that has signed up to doubly reaffirm commitment. (No need to reply here... wait until you hear from me please!)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back