Done / Completed Blade Runner 2049 "Voight Kampff" *ONE LEFT*

Me as well. I've not seen an acknowledgement to my reply message. :)
Can you please add me to the list?
Noted. I've been away from the RPF a lot during the holidays, working on getting the electronics sorted.

There's a new update in the build thread.
Blade Runner 2049 Voight Kampff Eye Scanner Tutorial / Buildup

Shortly, I'll have something VERY nice to show. We're getting VERY close to the cutoff point. It's taking a bit longer than I anticipated... fitting all the electronics into the unit is proving to be a challenge. Oh, i can get 'em in there, but they're interfering with some of the mechanisms, so I'm tweaking a few things to take care of that. With a project like this, I don't want to press the GO-button until I've eliminated all the risks. (I feel like NASA... very little margin for error!)

Don't touch that dial....

IMPORTANT MESSAGE!

OK, I sent out PMs weeks ago to everyone that is on the committed list, asking for a soundoff. Thus far, I've heard back from 12 out of (last count) 20 signed up. Many of those whom have yet to sound off have been on the forum recently, yet some haven't even read the info I sent. (This COULD be a glitch in the RPFs system... I sometimes don't get notified when a thread updates or a PM is sent .)

An almost 50% dropoff puts the whole thing in jeopardy. (Not to mention future projects.)

SO... IT IS VERY IMPORTANT that the following people PLEASE SOUND OFF ASAP!

Jodo
UnitPD
Matt009
mtrixman
framed
Flecktarn92
RogueScout
Batstone

PLEASE check your PMs and confirm that you are ready to go when called!

If you already have, and I missed you, please accept my sincere apologies. It's been a stressful few months for us all.

We are VERY close now. If all goes to plan, I should be able to start ordering parts and collecting payments in the next week or two.

To show you just how close, take a look at this:

Here's a first glimpse of the unit... mechanisms and electronics assembled and working!
Powered here with a USB charger... the battery inside isn't connected yet. It's also just taped and clamped together, so the fact that everything works even though none of the switches and things are 'nailed down' in position is a minor miracle! (I am still making minor tweaks to a couple things.)

Last edited:
A couple minor updates.

Blade Runner 2049 Voight Kampff Eye Scanner Tutorial / Buildup

I've rounded third base and am about to cross home plate. Just a couple more things to take care of and then this will be ready. Once I show a fully working, contained buildup under its own power, the list will lock. At that point I will start calculating mass orders of all the needed parts. Any latecomers (including those already on the list who have not acknowledged their PMs) will have to pay more for the kit (if there are extras) and they may not get all the metal perks.

I have also been trying to photograph every stage of putting this together for inclusion in a PDF document.

With luck, I'll have something more to show before the weekend is over!

FYI, I am still in, just say the word when you are ready. Sorry for the delay
No worries, I already had you on the confirmed list! (Check the updated 1st post.) : )

I am currently tallying how many of all components and such will be needed, and will be getting back to everyone on the confirmed list soon with payment info!

Update:

I'm currently tallying up all the parts that need to be ordered, finding the best places to source them. Confirmed signups should expect a PM with payment info in the next few days. (Most likely I'll collect everything at once, unless someone absolutely must split the payment in two. This project is challenging enough to manage!) I am now anticipating all kits to be sent out by late spring. It's going to take a couple months to order, sort, print and pack everything and I don't want to rush it and risk missing something.

From the looks of it at the moment, we'll have parts enough for 20 units and all but a couple are spoken for. Once the parts order is placed, that will be it... no more spots for signups.

Also, for those who haven't noticed, the first post has been updated.
(Note: the info there is mainly for those who didn't sign up before Jan 18th. Those who did, will of course get perks for supporting the run early.)

On a less fun note, I'm very disappointed in a few of our fellow members who signed up, committing to the run, yet have been completely absent and ignoring all messages or attempt at contact. I understand that, especially last year, finances have been hard for a lot of folks, and I indicated that if someone was in real trouble, I would not force them to follow through. But there are members who have not even had the decency to get back to me with a reason for dropping off, yet they continue to post interest in other items on the RPF, so are obviously not in financial straights, nor absent from the forum. (And searching through my PMs, at least one of these people has a history of asking to buy things, then doing a disappearing act.) This run will be fine despite them, but it's disappointing that common courtesy seems to be missing in these individuals, and I encourage them to NOT ask to be in on any run or project I might do in the future. (I'm actually thinking of setting up a do-not-deal-with list and sharing it with fellow RPFers.) Anyway, enough about that.

To end this post on a positive note:
I've been continually testing and playing with the completed scanner and can report that it's still holding up and working fine! Some 'bug tests' have also been done with the software functions, testing to see what happens if buttons are held in while it starts and such and it looks like the programmed code is solid and stable!

OK... LAST CALL on this. I'll be sending out PMs this weekend and hopefully be able to start ordering parts next week. This is possibly your LAST CHANCE to get in on this run. IF there are any extra sets of parts when they are all done, they will almost certainly cost more.

LIST WILL LOCK ON MONDAY FEB 1ST!

PMs have been sent out to all confirmed signups! LET'S DO THIS THING! : )

I said I'd lock the list on the first... but it's still a day or two until I'll start ordering stuff, so IF anyone wants in, I can still sneak you in.

OK, I'm still waiting on around 5-ish payments (I don't want to start ordering parts until almost everyone is). Before I start ordering parts I can still add to the list, so again... IF anyone is on the fence... jump in now or miss out on "teh awesomeness"!

Wish I had the skills to build one of these. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I realize you're not selling completed one's, but I'd love to have one. Really truly impressive work.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back