Blade Runner 2049 Voight Kampff Eye Scanner Tutorial / Buildup

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello all,

1574760776813.png

(Sorry for the bad screengrab...)

I've had a junkyard thread open for this for a few weeks and have been waiting until there was something interesting (beyond 3d renders) to show before starting a build thread, so here goes.

This kit is being made along with a programmer friend of mine. He does all the coding and electronics design (arduino or teensy-based for this), while I do the shell, graphics and "practical" hardware setup. (I tend to stay out of the coding completely... my guy has worked on actual space probes to Mars and the Rosetta comet... so he likes to do things his way, haha.)

• The goal is to make a prop-accurate replica of the eye scanner, with some added "role play animations" functionality (since a real screen will be used, it would be a waste not to) and to make it fairly easy to build as a kit.
  • It will probably have two electronics modes "movie accurate" and "role play", but the second will use graphics captured from the film as much as possible.
  • I want to stay as close to prop-accurate as possible. That means that I will not break accuracy for the "role play" part without a lot of thought. it has to REALLY be worth it. (Real-world limitations on available electronics hardware will play a big part in this.)
  • Hopefully, I'll be able to make the lens pop up. This is one of those accuracy things... to match the prop, it should pop up with a spring, but adding a real display may leave too little room for the mechanism. I'm also concerned about durability, because earlier experiments with "spring action" mechanisms have proven troublesome with resin 3d prints- they tend to crack with shock impacts. We'll see.

At the time of writing, I'm still working on the outer shell and planning how to do the internals. I tend to study, test and remodel things for weeks before I'm happy. Obviously, with a prop like this there are already lots of copies out there, but I try to not look at them too much so as not to "cloud" my thinking. (The reason I rarely build "finished" kits these days is because I like to figure things out as part of the challenge.) The first thing I do on a build is make a collection of collages of photos, breaking up all the details in different images where I do a lot of changes to lighting, color and contrast to better see how things actually look.

Example: For the eye scanner, there were a number of small details that are very easily missed- things that not many would notice (or even care about). One of those details- a little "slanted groove" present on two corners of one side of the bottom of the shell, drove me nuts for the better part of a week before I figured out how it really looked.

Since one of the main challenges with this will be to figure out how to fit everything inside, that's where I started, with the "physical testing". After checking all available reference, and doing a lot of measuring, I concluded that I would have to use a 2.8" TFT display to cover the entire screen area. This is unfortunate, because a HUGE chunk of the screen will go unused and take up a lot of space inside. But because the display area on a 2.4" is a few mm short (GHAAA!) in the vertical axis, it would leave black lines at the top and bottom, which I don't want. It MAY be that we have to use a 2.4" in the end anyway, but I at least want to try with a 2.8 and not have to compromise accuracy right off the bat! The make and type of display is basically the same as the one used in my Nick Fury Pager buildup a few months ago, just bigger.

Here are a couple "xray" renders showing how much space the display takes. You can see the TFT screen and the frame of the prop screen. (As mentioned, the outer shell is not done yet.)
1574757806412.png

1574757829315.png

To save resin, I cut out and printed a section of the shell, where the display shows, and set it up to hold the screen. First, I had to cut away part of the circuit board to fit it at the top. This might look scary, but it was surprisingly easy- there's just ONE connected circuit between the controller chip and the unneeded memory card holder.

The screen was held on by thin double-sided foam tape along the edges, so I just carefully ran a scalpel down the sides to loosen it, then I put some Tamiya masking tape on the important circuits as a reminder to be careful with them, and to protect from scrapes.

First thing to do was remove the memory card holder. I heated up the four contact pads with my soldering iron and carefully lifted it up off the board:
1574757953605.png

The plastic contact frame comes off easily, by rocking back and forth a couple times.
1574757994403.png

1574758009974.png

Some more tape, then it's time to cut:
1574758033909.png

Not the most straight of cuts, as I was holding it with my hand while cutting and didn't put it in a vice, but good enough.
1574758051884.png

Here you can see the only connector between the card and control chip.
1574758099325.png

I stuck some new double-sided tape to the board to hold it to the display, and a piece of masking tape on the outside.
1574758174642.png

The printed section of frame. Some areas are only 0.5mm thick, but I'm not worried about durability since those areas can be filled from the inside with epoxy glue and be strengthened by internal parts.
1574758285882.png

1574758303079.png

1574758326486.png

To my surprise, the display fit almost perfectly on the first try. It almost "snapped" into place.

1574758351573.png

From this image, it looks like I will just barely be able to fit the popup mechanism in the middle section (with the cut groove) as on the screen prop. So far, so good.
1574758375258.png

1574758461432.png

The screen currently sits about 1mm deeper than on the real prop. There's no getting around this, since I can't get it closer due to the beveled edges of the shell and the size of the display. I MIGHT end up having some 1mm plexiglass cut and glued in place to fill out the gap.

1574758402346.png

Next up is trying to come up with a suitable spring-mechanism. I have some ideas, and will be stripping a couple miniature bearings from some old hard drives to use until I find a supplier of new ones. (I think bearings will be necessary, because printed resin doesn't "glide" against itself easily, even if it's smooth.) Might have to print the main part of the spring arm in PLA instead of resin for durability. (If I can make it work economically, maybe I can have the outer plates of the arm laser cut in aluminum... we'll see.) There's a chance the spring arm needs to move a millimeter or so off-center because of the display, even with the backing cut off. It's the first real accuracy-change I have to do. Hopefully not.

More soon.

A year ago (or more; time flies as they say), one of our member had come very close to a fully working prop. I can see that yours seems to go into the right direction already...specially the electronics. Eager to see your next update!

OK, it's been quiet for over a month, but things are starting to happen again. The programmer and I have been scratching our heads about a few things. He at first had trouble getting the screen to work, but that's sorted now. He did the first tests with the Arduino platform since he already had that test bed set up while waiting for Teensys to arrive, but they didn't want to work for some reason. Then we've had some issues with voltage- the setup needs both 5v and 3v! Since 5v batteries are hard to get hold of, we have to use a voltage booster. The plan is to use a standard 3.7 lipo rechargeable battery.

I'm still thinking about the popup mechanism, but have been trying to gauge how everything will fit. It's gonna be CRAMPED:

1579183506192.png

Grey=chassis, Blue=Teensy and booster, Orange=screen, Green=battery

And there are no cables in there yet. Yikes! I'm looking for a smaller battery. At the moment, I don't think we have room for a sound board and speaker, but that was always going to be a "maybe, if we have space" bonus, since there's almost no sound from the prop in the movie- just that very low whine. We might try to squeeze in a piezo buzzer and do something with it, but not much more. The aim is still to be prop accurate first and foremost. (I'm even having a hard time deciding if I want to include a charging port in the bottom or if the unit will have to be opened to recharge!)

OK, it's been quiet for over a month, but things are starting to happen again. The programmer and I have been scratching our heads about a few things. He at first had trouble getting the screen to work, but that's sorted now. He did the first tests with the Arduino platform since he already had that test bed set up while waiting for Teensys to arrive, but they didn't want to work for some reason. Then we've had some issues with voltage- the setup needs both 5v and 3v! Since 5v batteries are hard to get hold of, we have to use a voltage booster. The plan is to use a standard 3.7 lipo rechargeable battery.

I'm still thinking about the popup mechanism, but have been trying to gauge how everything will fit. It's gonna be CRAMPED:

View attachment 1247592
Grey=chassis, Blue=Teensy and booster, Orange=screen, Green=battery

And there are no cables in there yet. Yikes! I'm looking for a smaller battery. At the moment, I don't think we have room for a sound board and speaker, but that was always going to be a "maybe, if we have space" bonus, since there's almost no sound from the prop in the movie- just that very low whine. We might try to squeeze in a piezo buzzer and do something with it, but not much more. The aim is still to be prop accurate first and foremost. (I'm even having a hard time deciding if I want to include a charging port in the bottom or if the unit will have to be opened to recharge!)

Thanks for the update :) I always guessed it would be cramped to fit everything in there but I'm sure you will both figure it out and after all, if the prop guys can make it for the film, then it must be do-able :)

Thanks for the update :) I always guessed it would be cramped to fit everything in there but I'm sure you will both figure it out and after all, if the prop guys can make it for the film, then it must be do-able :)
Haha, but in this case... we actually have a bigger challenge than the prop guys, adding a real LCD screen and mini-computer to run animations. The real prop probably just had a flashing white led or two behind a diffuser- something which would be pretty easy to do with just a timing circuit and a couple resistors. If we were doing that, cramming it all in there would be no problem and we might've been done alrady. If the prop dept had a real screen in there, they would probably have made the prop screen fit something existing, which it doesn't- at least nothing we've been able to find available. It was the same way with the Captain marvel pager... trying to get available real-world components to fit into something that wasn't designed for them, without breaking accuracy except where absolutely necessary. The whole real-screen thing is just a fun "let's see if we can do it" thing.

:)
Haha, but in this case... we actually have a bigger challenge than the prop guys, adding a real LCD screen and mini-computer to run animations. The real prop probably just had a flashing white led or two behind a diffuser- something which would be pretty easy to do with just a timing circuit and a couple resistors. If we were doing that, cramming it all in there would be no problem and we might've been done alrady. If the prop dept had a real screen in there, they would probably have made the prop screen fit something existing, which it doesn't- at least nothing we've been able to find available. It was the same way with the Captain marvel pager... trying to get available real-world components to fit into something that wasn't designed for them, without breaking accuracy except where absolutely necessary. The whole real-screen thing is just a fun "let's see if we can do it" thing.

Ok gotcha (y) :) Well if you can "real -screen" then great but if not, screen accurate will most definitely do :)

:)

Ok gotcha (y) :) Well if you can "real -screen" then great but if not, screen accurate will most definitely do :)

Hope you are well :)Just re-reading this thread and was wondering if there are any updates? Take care and stay safe! :)

Heya!

I know, it's been too long. Getting a couple Mandalorian items finished basically took all my time, but those are now done so I'm looking at this again. The latest thing I did was order a bunch of small bearings, as I'm working on the popup mechanism. Looks like some test prints might be doable soon. I'm also cutting up some graphics for the display animations.

Heya!

I know, it's been too long. Getting a couple Mandalorian items finished basically took all my time, but those are now done so I'm looking at this again. The latest thing I did was order a bunch of small bearings, as I'm working on the popup mechanism. Looks like some test prints might be doable soon. I'm also cutting up some graphics for the display animations.

No problem and thanks :) Looking forward to this immensely!!!

As a small update.. this is what I'm currently tinkering with:

1586452615393.png

Editing the real movie graphics to work on the tiny screen. The little rectangle in the center is the replica screen, so I have to make everything fit in there! We plan on trying to have the fingerprints and portraits slide-animate like in the movie. Not sure yet if we'll use the eye or not... maybe. This part, for me, is just a "fun bonus" since we have the hardware there anyway... and my main goal is still emulating the original prop behavior.

Almost done with the base bitmaps and layout. The fingerprints and mugshots will scroll/animate like in the movie IF the refresh rate on the screen can handle it. The "system text" not currently there will also animate in "1980s terminal style". And if the screen can handle it, we'll do some kind of DNA animation or something in the field on the right. The draw rate on these screens is so low that if you throw too much at them, you can actually see each line being drawn!

1588083829056.png

Almost done with the base bitmaps and layout. The fingerprints and mugshots will scroll/animate like in the movie IF the refresh rate on the screen can handle it. The "system text" not currently there will also animate in "1980s terminal style". And if the screen can handle it, we'll do some kind of DNA animation or something in the field on the right. The draw rate on these screens is so low that if you throw too much at them, you can actually see each line being drawn!

View attachment 1292179

Any updates on this? :)

Last edited:
OK, time to resurrect this thread! Sorry for the long silence. My programmer bud didn't do much programming during the summer due to the heat wave here and I had my hands full with other stuff, and I didn't think it was worth posting until I had worked out a lot of the 3d stuff. But I'm now back on this and hope to see it finished in the next couple of months! And now I actually have some real-world functionality to show!

First, some more thoughts on the 3d work:
1603203956227.png

The more I worked on the internals and designing the functionality, the more of a nightmare this became. replicating ONLY prop accuracy would not have been too difficult, but adding "role play" electronics, with a working screen, meant that where there was once plenty of space, now every tenth of a millimeter was now worth a fortune in space.

Every time I had something 'working', I discovered that there was another moving part, switch or other item that would stop it. The darn display screen takes up almost half the thickness, throughout the entire model! It also takes up almost the entire width, which interferes with the buttons.

So essentially, ALL moving-parts functionality have to be placed in one half of the shell- and the "popup arm" is supposed to be pretty much centered!
1603204251158.png

And fitting the computer, battery and power converter (needed because the screen takes 5v and the computer 3) takes up most of the bottom!

Top-to-bottom: Piezo speaker, Teensy computer, battery, screen, power regulator.
1603204090785.png

Eventually I ended up with a working design. This schematic is the 3rd variation of it.
1603204641752.png

Here's my first mechanical test.

Note that several parts of the construction are missing, yet it still works! (No bearings, no pin holding the button spring in place, no lubricant, among other things.)

Some things were "sticking" though, so I decided some revisions were in order. And the popup arm didn't automatically lock into place when pushed down- you had to hold in the button. My initial design also called for two main springs, but I discovered that only one is needed.

Here I've added a guide bar, refined the button and a couple other things:

The movement is MUCH smoother, and there are still no bearings or other guides.

I also got hold of some super-small pressure switches (and not cheap... $4-5 each...), which seem like they'll work great. The idea is that when the popup is down, the unit will be switched off. This will allow the screen to "flash" when it pops up, just like it does in the film. (Note: the computer needs a few seconds to power up though, so I'll have to fit a proper on/off switch somewhere- also important to be able to display it "open".

Now, I wanted to keep things simple, in terms of the button activation, for long-term durability, but some things were bugging me. The lack of space meant I had to use the lower of the three buttons, not (what I think is) the correct screen-prop button to activate the popup. I also had to make the button a little too wide, to be sure it would be durable.

The system works. Whatever happened now, I at least had all the base functionality in place. So... as an experiment, I looked at some other traditional methods for latches and activator switches, and set about a total redesign... which led to Rev04:
1603206262466.png

It works... video and a bunch of photos coming soon.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back