Blade Runner 2049 "Trash Mesa" Relief Piece

Custard Gannet

This is kind of an indulgent experiment, but I'm making a (not really a diorama, more like a) bas relief of the Trash Mesa, in (about) 1:87 / HO scale. The intention is to cast this in cold cast iron, and let oxidation have its way with it...

20210310_160448.jpg

The printed peugeot needed a little bit of cleanup (when they said "slightly grainy feel" they weren't kidding).
20210316_114446.jpg

In context (with a couple of ship elements there).
20210316_100452.jpg

The rubble placement is pretty screen accurate, as far as I can tell.
I'll be the first to admit it doesn't look like much right now, but the intention is that, cast in metal/resin, it will have its own character.

Custard Gannet ( by the way- great name )
Well it’s an unusual diorama to model but the fact that it ”out of the norm” makes it very interesting.
Watching with interest.

By the way, did you finish the Lobster Aerodyne?

Last edited:
...did you finish the Lobster Aerodyne?
Not yet. Thank you for asking, maestro! Just needs the paint applied.
Where did you get the print of the peugeot?
It was my first Shapeways order. I was surprised at the amount of finishing required. I'll have to investigate which material prints with the least amount of "terracing".

DSC00215.jpg
DSC00214.jpg

I used an inferior resin so there was a little warpage, but after a week long salt water soak I'm not completely displeased with the results (above). The thing was completely brown at first, but a little judicious wire wool work and a little polishing of the highlights introduced a bit of colour, some tonal and specular variety (below). I was after an effect that would be easily reproducible, so I didn't want to introduce paint of pigment into the equation. Ultimately I'm pretty happy with the monochrome effects you can get by introducing some atomised iron into your resin. Pretty close to the end on this one, now.
DSC00234.jpg

It`s looking good, but I would`ve put more debris at the front of the car...basically, this car crashed and became a big shovel (specially with the front design and the two wheel wells protruding on each side.;) (y)

more debris at the front of the car
You're correct - it would read better. But I tend to make the mistake of clinging to reference material too much, and most were of the set on the day of the fight choreography, and showed this arrangement. Interestingly, the image below shows the stunt/crash shoot, where it's a far more chaotic affair. There are many things about the setup that don't make sense. Most notably, the car conveniently comes to a halt at the only clear ground for miles around...

71532528_10158777380650130_7984904735150833664_o.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back