Limited Run BLADE RUNNER 2049: Officer K (Ryan Gosling) Jacket/Coat - NOW SELLING

ORNX (think I spelled that right) used this, but I think had some trouble. The issue with this dressing is it's something you need to melt and keep melting, and then apply with a brush. The example I showed on the other page, where you use the bar of wax, I can only assume is the easier option. You just basically rub the bar of wax onto the fabric then evenly distribute heat with the craft heater. This is a tutorial page similar to my process: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Wax-Your-Clothing-and-Gear/

and here:

https://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/06/03/how-to-wax-your-own-clothing-and-gear/

though that second one doesn't really use items that portray the "Waxed" cotton effect, but the first apron one does.

Cool, thanks. So my next question, is a craft heater pretty much the same as a hair dryer? Can I use a hair dyer or would I be better off with the heater? I want to get this right the first time.

Cool, thanks. So my next question, is a craft heater pretty much the same as a hair dryer? Can I use a hair dyer or would I be better off with the heater? I want to get this right the first time.

good question and i would say MAYBE? but im not sure. all i can say is the thing that i bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00083OZQY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 definitely gets it warm enough. it feels like maybe as hot as a hair dryer? but i actually dont own a hair dryer in my house at the moment lol so can't speak for certain.

Cool, thanks

My coat finally arrived! Beautiful work! First off, my mirror is crazy dirty, it's actually pretty embarrassing. I was going to clean it and retake the photos, but it seems like an awful lot of work :) Back to the coat, the color is perfect and the fit is super snug. I ordered a custom size and could use a bit more room in the chest. When I pull my arms back it opens the coat. I may put an extra hook in there to keep it from opening. My sleeves are also a bit too long, so I may have them hemmed up. Those faults are all my own as I did my own measurements, but everything else is perfect. If I had to complain, I'd say the magnets could be a bit stronger and the collar a bit stiffer. I plan on waxing the cotton later this week, which will stiffen the collar a bit, and dying the fur based on Zlurpo's video, so I'll post more pics when I'm done.

image1.jpegimage2.jpegimage3.jpegimage4.jpegimage5.jpegimage6.jpeg

UPDATE: Just dropped it off at the tailors for ¾ inch off the sleeve and a bit more tapering from the elbow to the cuff. I'll windex the mirror and take more pics tomorrow afternoon after I wax it.

Last edited:
Zlurpo it's right. Himself its being in his coat for a year and in that time he does not achieved the right coating, so, he knows about it.
My feeling about that the coat is not finished without the coating. I think the coating mades the coat, without it is something closer, but not right.
I can see, HITMAN2049, that you post it a pic from somebody that i figure is ofering and selling a K's coat. The pic of The coat is cut, but maybe you can share The link of them and maybe we can ask about his coating and see The whole picture.
It looked small to me and it was looks like a Miniature version but here's link where they said that their asked the film crew in they said it was waterproofing that made the coat shine
ee81cfd4e8c1f6508847354500de15a2.jpg
c2a0b5d29438786b4da5abd4db1b29ef.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Good idea. I’ll iron it tomorrow before waxing it.

That is a good point to start. Is imperative the jacket is warm before you aply the wax. If you have a heater in the room close all the doors and keep the room warm. Never, I repeat, never Iron the jacket after aply the wax. That could cause the wax melts and sticks to the iron.
If you go with the tin instead of bar warm the wax but never to the point of boil. If boiles you spoil the wax.
All those things hapened to me, maybe my mess could serve you for go this thru.
I wish you luck. An patience.

I just have a couple bars of otter wax. I’m going to rub them in and then use a hair dryer to smooth it out. It looks pretty simple online.

Hey all, here a video of the zlurpo piece after applying the Otter wax. It's pretty perfect, IMO. Doesn't really modify the color that much, makes it shiny, and maintains nearly the same flexibility (much better than my attempt at applying liquitex). This was the wax: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008PJV0P2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's completely dry in this video, and was dried thoroughly with a small handheld crafts drier: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00083OZQY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had to convert the vid to a gif to post here, but it captures it pretty well, though if someone wants to see the actual video, DM me and I can email it to you (its 51mb):

View attachment 804415

EDIT1: err.. I guess gifs don't work either. here's a link to it: http://gph.is/2IHn02e

EDIT2: i meant to say this too: this will take a little while to do the entire coat, and might take more than 1 of those otter wax bars - I'm not sure yet - but it's definitely the method I feel comfortable with doing and I feel like potential damage to the coat doing this process is minimal, but DON'T QUOTE ME OR HOLD ME TO THAT :)

Have you waxed any more of the coat? I'm starting the process tonight and was wondering what to expect.

I haven’t! I’m waiting for my medium to arrive. I have a small, but it was just a bit too snug, so I’m going to sell that new as-is and wax the medium when it arrives. Good luck tonight though if you go through with it!

Surprise this morning. I have a package
Received the coat. Unespected at all.
I'll make some coments later.
The main issue is the coat is too tight in the place the back meets the armpit. That maked very hard to lift my arms. And it's unconfortable. Weird, because I whent for sure and the meassures where taken by a taylor paid for it. I don't think this is easily fixed.
Also in the package I did'nt find scraps for do the coating tests, so, big drama!

Mine is tight there as well. A good tailor can let the back out a bit and that should loosen up the coat. I didn’t have test scraps either, but there’s been so much testing already, I fell confident about the waxing.

I've been toying with the idea of sending mine to a company that refinishes waxed garments, since I'd trust their expertise over my own. That said, the Barbour-style wax is probably somewhat different in behavior from Otter Wax...I'm curious to see how everyone's various waxing endeavors turn out!

I believe I wrote a post about it already; I ran out of the fabric scraps, but I can get some more. If anyone needs some test pieces let me know and I can mail you one.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back