Blade Runner 2049 Luv's Blaster

Simon, the photo/blaster on the right is mine. I didn't paint it, though, so can be of no help with paint information/details. The one on the left was made and painted by the same craftsperson. I have photos that I took of the one on display at the Petersen Automotive Museum, if that would be of use.
Rick, you posted those pictures earlier in this thread.

Never really thought about this blaster before, but seeing it here has made me kind of fall in love with it. So TipTop Workshop just got my money! Thanks Don B!
Hi sliuman, hope you like it! Please share your build too - love to see it.

Last edited:
Simon, the photo/blaster on the right is mine. I didn't paint it, though, so can be of no help with paint information/details. The one on the left was made and painted by the same craftsperson. I have photos that I took of the one on display at the Petersen Automotive Museum, if that would be of use.
Very helpful, thanks Rick :)

Thanks,
but the original, do we know how it reloads?
Hi NiNaCa, Doug Harlocker in the well known interview with Adam Savage (see below) notes that he made these guns for a female character but only says that he made the internal parts on show move and added a light, so I don't believe he provided a true load mechanism for these. The part where he discusses these guns starts around 16:20.

Last edited:
I'm going to aim for these sorts of colours. There's a lot of tricky paintwork here!

for ease, do we think it's better to the top parts all silver, mask off and do the internal black parts, or vice versa? Probably easier to spray all black, mask off the internals and then apply silver?
I'm going down the black first path.

Hi sliuman, hope you like it! Please share your build too - love to see it.
Haha, unfortunately that may take a while. Making a country to country move in a few months and the kit will be in the UK. It looks like an easy kit to build and paint (at least I hope so!).

What grade of sandpaper is anyone using to sand down the the blaster in out the box shape?

Anyone considering using UPOL? Gives a very smooth surface to sand with very high grade.

What grade of sandpaper is anyone using to sand down the the blaster in out the box shape?

Anyone considering using UPOL? Gives a very smooth surface to sand with very high grade.
Usually use 220 to start with plus various small-work files that I have and use Holts Knifing putty to fill where required. Never used UPOL but suspect it'll be similar to the Holts.

I've been really studying the pictures for colours and my feelings that they are these:

Polished Aluminium for the barrels and back part
Humbrol do a Polished Aluminium spray that you can polish to look like real metal:
They equally do a steel but I think is too dark:

This is how that polished look looks like - (I used it on a 3D print of Deckards blaster):

20171205_115032 - Copy.jpg

The handle is likely medium steel blue:

The trigger/trigger guard is gun metal grey:

The above two colours can be bought as 1K Cellulose/Full gloss which can be polished for high shine/gloss. As the picture shows a very high gloss.

I'll use UPOL#5 black to coat it and bring it to very smooth surface. This will also serve the internals.

This is what I've used as the reference point:

My feeling is, looking at some completed models is that people aren't noticing that the trigger guard and the handle are two different colours. I'm equally not sure if the barrel and the back part are two different shades!
20191117_142100.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the paint colors. For the handle, I was considering Tamiya Dark Ghost Grey (first attached swatch) and Vallejo mecha blue grey (second swatch). They’re both a shade lighter than humbrol steel blue grey and I think the handle is lighter than the Humbrol. However, I didn’t take into consideration how much indoor lighting would brighten the paint, so ultimately I believe that Humbrol is probably a better choice.
09692D5D-E512-4D6A-A8FA-0758B9294BB1.jpeg

AEDD3ABA-A45F-4FE5-9ED7-631162C557C0.jpeg

I've been really studying the pictures for colours and my feelings that they are these:

Polished Aluminium for the barrels and back part
Humbrol do a Polished Aluminium spray that you can polish to look like real metal:
They equally do a steel but I think is too dark:

This is how that polished look looks like - (I used it on a 3D print of Deckards blaster):

View attachment 1446020

The handle is likely medium steel blue:

The trigger/trigger guard is gun metal grey:

The above two colours can be bought as 1K Cellulose/Full gloss which can be polished for high shine/gloss. As the picture shows a very high gloss.

I'll use UPOL#5 black to coat it and bring it to very smooth surface. This will also serve the internals.

This is what I've used as the reference point:

My feeling is, looking at some completed models is that people aren't noticing that the trigger guard and the handle are two different colours. I'm equally not sure if the barrel and the back part are two different shades!
View attachment 1446019

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the paint colors. For the handle, I was considering Tamiya Dark Ghost Grey (first attached swatch) and Vallejo mecha blue grey (second swatch). They’re both a shade lighter than humbrol steel blue grey and I think the handle is lighter than the Humbrol. However, I didn’t take into consideration how much indoor lighting would brighten the paint, so ultimately I believe that Humbrol is probably a better choice.
View attachment 1446042

View attachment 1446043
Can you get those in sprays?

I'm equally not sure if the barrel and the back part are two different shades!
See the photo below from rickhoward. Which looks like the back is darker than the barrels which is in contrast to the side view, where the barrels appear darker. I believe this is simply the lighting and both parts are the same. Any thoughts on this?

1618296916864.png

Last edited:
See the photo below from rickhoward. Which looks like the back is darker than the barrels which is in contrast the the side view, where the barrels appear darker. I believe this is simply the lighting and both parts are the same. Any thoughts on this?

View attachment 1446241

I think you're right Don B - this could be a trick of the light as the colours are definitely reversed in other pics, however in this one, the back looks darker again.

STUNT GUN.jpg

Here's a shot from the video of them discussing the blaster with Adam Savage:

34047815_2208534519186565_23316234988683264_n.jpg

All looks the same colour to me.

Last edited:
Some great new (or at least new to me) photos above. Thank you to white43 in particular. The difference in colour between the trigger guard and the handle, which I confess I never noticed, was a real eye-opener. This gun seems to be one of those props that changes its appearance considerably under different lighting conditions, so it's really hard to tell exactly what the colours are without the actual references! Still, the various photos have made me realise how wrong my original paintjob was! So I've spent a couple of days re-painting mine.

I've left the metallic parts alone for now, although I might treat them to a graphite rub at some point to add some more metallic lustre and also, perhaps, to darken the lighter metal slightly. I have re-painted the trigger guard and handle, though... twice!

I used the colour swatches in white43's suggested paint scheme first. I used my usual Vallejo acrylics, straight 'Engine grey' for the trigger guard and 'Grey blue' with a dash of 'Neutral grey' for the handle (and the little detail around the muzzles). The paints themselves looked a perfect match to the swatches when they first went on, but the tendency of the acylics to dry several shades darker left them way too dark. It may also be that my screen is showing the swatches differently too, of course. Anyway, the effect was nice. Better than the paler single colour I had before. But way too dark. It's always struck me that there's only a slight tonal variation between the gloss parts and the metal parts when seen in flat lighting. Placing the gun next to my K's blaster showed exactly how dark the chosen colours were. The colours were better, but the tone was definitely wrong.

70D7BFF0-91DC-4E66-A686-C8F130E6CFAC_1_201_a.jpeg 8E4BC565-D1AE-4D02-A758-B1E13BF29465.jpeg 64B06771-3468-4D21-9C1B-47B8F5B300F0_1_201_a.jpeg

So I experimented a bit more and came up with a mix that I think works. I'm aiming for an effect somewhere between the darker look in the top picture in white43's most recent post, and the lighter look of the gun in Doug Harlocker's hand in the second pic.

Note that I haven't applied the clear coats yet in these pictures, so the paint is still matt, and I've still to tidy up the black accents. What do people think colour-wise though?

8D353800-456F-47C5-9220-66812F9965C4.jpeg D74735AC-C70E-4780-8072-9F40A64BDEBE_1_201_a.jpeg C0A3F6B9-9BE1-4ADF-A949-3C5C083A57BB.jpeg 6B443CB4-20AE-4296-8FE5-857B68C1572B_1_201_a.jpeg

I think it's close, especially if, as I say, the lighter metal is darkened slightly. For what it's worth, the final colour mixes (for Vallejo acrylics) were a 50/50 ratio of Engine grey and Light grey for the trigger guard, and then for the handle and muzzle detail the same mix but with Grey blue added drop by drop until the colour looked right(!). I think it ended up being about 80% original Engine grey/Light grey mix and 20% Grey blue.

Last edited:
Some great new (or at least new to me) photos above. Thank you to white43 in particular. The difference in colour between the trigger guard and the handle, which I confess I never noticed, was a real eye-opener. This gun seems to be one of those props that changes its appearance considerably under different lighting conditions, so it's really hard to tell exactly what the colours are without the actual references! Still, the various photos have made me realise how wrong my original paintjob was! So I've spent a couple of days re-painting mine.

I've left the metallic parts alone for now, although I might treat them to a graphite rub at some point to add some more metallic lustre and also, perhaps, to darken the lighter metal slightly. I have re-painted the trigger guard and handle, though... twice!

I used the colour swatches in white43's suggested paint scheme first. I used my usual Vallejo acrylics, straight 'Engine grey' for the trigger guard and 'Grey blue' with a dash of 'Neutral grey' for the handle (and the little detail around the muzzles). The paints themselves looked a perfect match to the swatches when they first went on, but the tendency of the acylics to dry several shades darker left them way too dark. It may also be that my screen is showing the swatches differently too, of course. Anyway, the effect was nice. Better than the paler single colour I had before. But way too dark. It's always struck me that there's only a slight tonal variation between the gloss parts and the metal parts when seen in flat lighting. Placing the gun next to my K's blaster showed exactly how dark the chosen colours were. The colours were better, but the tone was definitely wrong.

View attachment 1447091 View attachment 1447092 View attachment 1447093

So I experimented a bit more and came up with a mix that I think works. I'm aiming for an effect somewhere between the darker look in the top picture in white43's most recent post, and the lighter look of the gun in Doug Harlocker's hand in the second pic.

Note that I haven't applied the clear coats yet in these pictures, so the paint is still matt, and I've still to tidy up the black accents. What do people think colour-wise though?

View attachment 1447094 View attachment 1447095 View attachment 1447096 View attachment 1447097

I think it's close, especially if, as I say, the lighter metal is darkened slightly. For what it's worth, the final colour mixes (for Vallejo acrylics) were a 50/50 ratio of Engine grey and Light grey for the trigger guard, and then for the handle and muzzle detail the same mix but with Grey blue added drop by drop until the colour looked right(!). I think it ended up being about 80% original Engine grey/Light grey mix and 20% Grey blue.
I'd say your second coating is much closer to what we're trying to achieve, well done! I think what's throwing me off is that you haven't finished it yet with a gloss finish and the internals very much contrast as a very dark or black and yours are silver at present.

I'll be spraying mine and using UPOL/High build primer for that highly smooth surface, so I expect my end result will be different.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back