Blade runner 2049 K's Blaster test pull chromed

Flyscriber

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi everyone.
Over the last couple of months I have been helping out TipTopWorkshop with their latest K'sblaster offering. I am not sure when this will go on sale, but they have kindly allowed me to do a limited run of completed blasters once it is. I will make a thread in the Junkyard Interest section once we have a time frame, so please don't post any wishes for orders or such on this thread.
Over the last year or so I have been selling some completed versions of TipTopWorkshops first blaster kit. The first version was a nice kit with, but it had a lot of surface finishing to do on the parts from the mould and wasn't very accurate.
With this version I was keen to have the chromed appearance under the paint job (as it looks awesome) but I couldn't stand any more sanding and finishing the outer surfaces.
So I worked with them to get a model as close to the original as possible. So after many modifications to their 3d model, I received their first master prints, and spent a good deal of time making them ready for moulding up.

Before sending the masters back they gave me permission to make some rudimentary pour moulds to test the finish on the parts.
So I have made the first prototype from these to check the fit and finish.
I don't have access to a vacuum chamber, or a pressure casting pot, so all the parts you see on this model are strictly prototypes, hence small bubbles etc. The actual kit will be degassed and pressure cast for an even better finish.
So with all that blerb out of the way, I have some images which may help others with their builds in the future.

Here are some of the parts assembled all chromed up and "ghost" looking. There was no surface finishing to do on this, each part has been painted and chromed without ever seeing sandpaper, apart from the centre seam on the main body. I am very pleased with the results so far, obviously it can be finished further than this, but that's not the point of this first tester.
Andy Preston Blaster Proto muzzle chromed.jpg
Andy Preston Blaster Proto parts chromed.jpg
Andy Preston Blaster Proto power check chromed.jpg

Electrics are touch sensitive, so each time the blaster is moved or feels a vibration the led's light up. The gold looking finish is from the light source in this image
Now added the grip with the magnetic cap and electrics in the grip.
Looks like a ghost version with a white and grey grip could be cool. You will notice there are still some parts missing. I will be doing the masters for these bits in the next day or so and I will post hero images when it is complete.
Andy Preston Blaster Proto ghost 1chromed.jpg
Andy Preston Blaster Proto ghost chromed.jpg
Andy Preston Blaster Proto grip close chromed.jpg

Now onto the painting.
Here it is partly done with satin black airbrushed enough to look black but not enough to stop the light reflecting back through it. Masking fluid is used on the barrels and silver insert details.
Andy Preston Blaster Proto close body 1 chromed.jpg
Andy Preston Blaster Proto close body chromed.jpg
Andy Preston Blaster Proto close chromed.jpg

Where did all that lovely chrome go !!

Last edited:
Now its onto the next stage of painting the black front barrel assembly in a gloss black with a heavier application to block the chrome. This gives a nice difference to the reflectivity and adds detail. The vents are done in German Grey Flat, which looks a lot darker in real life than it does in these images.
Andy Preston Blaster Proto build chromed.jpg

View attachment 994844
Andy Preston Blaster Proto close chromed.jpg
Andy Preston Blaster Proto hammer chromed.jpg

Here's a couple of images of where it is at the moment with surface scratching added. Please ignore the date on the stand !!! :)
andy preston k blaster scratched side 2.jpg
andy preston k blaster scratched side.jpg
muzzle paint scratching.jpg

More updates to come soon. I'm off to make the master for the carbon inserts above the grip now.

Last edited:
Hi DeLano80.
I use a chemical method of chroming as I've tried every paint system available and none of them are close to this method, this is mirror reflective. Its expensive and really tricky to use, but once I got the timing with the chemicals and base coats sorted it works a dream.
Here's a video of the application procedure, this is a generic video and isn't me. :)

Very nice. Regarding the transparent paints over the chrome, I've been doing some tests with the Italian Kcolors candy filter colours (Black Neutral for the barrel and Black Burnished Metal for the more gunmetal shades - they also have Black Anodised) over polished aluminium/chrome for my Joatrash FX blaster and they look great, just like the transparent effect seen on the blasters in the Tested video. Steve at Model Innovations is their UK supplier if you want to try them out.

Thanks for posting the info on the Hydro chrome. I have a project that I've wanted to try this on, Alcad looks great but the durability in my experience has sucked. I researched the hydro chrome process quite a bit before, but the majority (I want to say all lol) of the videos I found were made by the manufacturer... So between manufacturer videos (versus objective customer reviews/experience) and the cost, I held off trying it. Now I'm thinking I should give it a go. (y)

Cheers Buzby, I will check those out. I am always on the lookout for new paints to play with.
Laellee, I think it is worth a go. Follow exactly the base coat info (this is the most important thing for a decent finish) and the timing for the chemicals. After a couple of attempts you will find that you can be more surgical with the application than you would first think.

Hey Flyscriber... As someone who has a few of the items you have done, love your work. I am really digging the recent tutorials as well. Keep up the good work.

Hi DeLano80.
I use a chemical method of chroming as I've tried every paint system available and none of them are close to this method, this is mirror reflective. Its expensive and really tricky to use, but once I got the timing with the chemicals and base coats sorted it works a dream.
Here's a video of the application procedure, this is a generic video and isn't me. :)

Wow, that is one stellar K blaster. I too have a JoatrashFX in a box right now and I think you just bumped it up in my priorities.

Have you tried airbrushing with molotow chrome ?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back