Blade Runner 2049 Joi's Emenator

Can someone be so kind to recommend what kind of black paint I should use? and dose it need a base coat of a different colour?
If it was me, I would do a grey rust oleum rattle can primer, do the typical primer and sand until it looks smooth, do a final grey and then a matte black all rattle can. Take your time and do multiple coats, and follow the instructions on the can carefully. I would say that rust oleum is a strong enough paint that you might not need a top coat either, and I never have, which is great because it also helps to keep the black color pure. (If you plan to handle it all the time and see potential for wear though, then it never hurts to do a top coat.) The silver I am unsure on, but I do occasionally use Mirror chrome paint. It may work, but I don’t know how it would look compared to the more matte metal look of the original prop. I’m sure someone on here has a GREAT answer to how to achieve that color.

I see none of the replicas here include the tracker K removes from the Emanator. I'm thinking about making a version that includes this.
I don't think it's a part included in the prop as we can't actually see K take it out of the Emanator in the scene. They probably just gave Gosling both the Emanator and the reciever seperately for the close-ups.
However i think I can store it underneath the panel on the opposite side of the rail and have that panel just friction fit into the Emanator (or alternatively held on with magnets).

I'll update in this thread if i get anywhere.

Was there ever a consensus reached on the overall measrements of the prop?
I've been going off the assumption that the thing is 20mm across just comparing the shots of people holding it to my own hands, but I don't know if thats at all accurate.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-13 180404.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-13 180404.png
    445 KB · Views: 113
These images may help give some relative scale (taken at the Petersen Automotive Museum in 2019).

Attachments

• 20191112_134534A.jpg
    20191112_134534A.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 166
  • 20191112_135232B.jpg
    20191112_135232B.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 169
I've got the general design down, except for the rail at the back. I'm not sure yet if I want to spend like 70€ on a linear guiderail or f i wanna print it.
Printed might not be stable enough, as the rail in the real prop is just 3mm across...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-14 210103.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-14 210103.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Screenshot 2021-11-14 210122.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-14 210122.png
    8 KB · Views: 121
I think i might even be able to fit in a dfplayer mini for sound if I remove the pin headers and shave down the sides a bit... TBD

Last edited:
I've not had time to read all of the pages yet, but is anyone here currently offering the finish emenator (with box would be amazing!) Been wanting one with the light since the movie came out but there wasn't many people making one that had electronics.

I've not had time to read all of the pages yet, but is anyone here currently offering the finish emenator (with box would be amazing!) Been wanting one with the light since the movie came out but there wasn't many people making one that had electronics.
I don't think anyone is currently offering any completed ones with light and box. I think there are some 3d printed blanks (unpainted) on etsy but nothing too accurate from what i have seen. Once I'm done with mine I will make the 3d files available if that helps.
I might also sell the electronics as a kit although i do need to get them working first.

First prints are out. Really happy with the finish although at this thickness the black is still a little translucent. Depending on the brightness of the LED I might need to spray some paint on the inside so the light doesn't bleed.
It feels really small in my hand but I compared myself holding it to shots of gosling holding it and it seems to match pretty closely. Maybe he just has larger hands than me...
I also tried printing the rail but at this size it just seems unfeasible. I'm either gonna have to scale it up, making the prop less accurate or be forced to lay down the money for an actual metal one. Still not quite sure if I wanna do that.
Especially if this is supposed to be accessible for people to 3d print, having to buy an expensive part to enable the main functionality seems wrong.

Attachments

• PXL_20211211_231053108.jpg
    PXL_20211211_231053108.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 82
It definetly FEELS like I'm getting closer...
This is for the fully 3d-printed version, hence the printed rail. This will only work if printed on an SLA printer, as details this small are probably impossible on FDM.

Attachments

• PXL_20220319_194107416 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20220319_194107416 - Copy.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 104

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back