Blade-o-matic 9000

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

AngReed3180

Alrighty... I am now working on a new and improved version of my original drawer-slide-blade design that just fell short. After having a look over at Gauntlets Complete and seeing the truely AMAZING working simple (as in non-complicated, not cheap) design by Master Anubis, I decided to take a crack at a re-do... I am soooooo happy I am.
Hokay, so, what I'm going to do is attempt to make a extending/retracting modular wrist-blade gauntlet based off of Master Anubis' tut.
Materials are: Sintra (sign maker's plastic, PVC like, but better), ABS Plastic (septic tubing at HomeDespit), rubber bands/surgical tubing, various sizes of screws/rivets, HEAT gun, furniture foam for insulation, Smooth-On brand polymers/resin/urethane/etc. and a whole lotta B.S.&T.
First off, a snapshot of what I did last night:
I've begun cutting THE new-and-improved-tried-and-true-blade-guy method... I got a hold of some sheets of 1/4" sintra from my bud at the campus sign shop, sketched them out and started to cut/trace out the design. I'll be going just a tiny bit longer (~ 17" x 3.5") for the bigger return draw, and a little closed to the original curvy style (higher arch) for that "wicked" edge... no pun intended. I'm just going with the sintra now as a) I don't have any ABS and :) this is just going to be my negative anyhow...
I'll be modding the placement and small "sliders to get a good "SNIKT" sound as well as holding them in place.
Here's an image of it so far... sorry it's not all pretty-fied, it's just a snappy. I also included an Xacto handle for comparison.

Blade_1_scale_size.jpg

the silver on it is a common laminate for sign gloss/pre-cut so that's why it's all metallic...

Then after all that was done, I arrived at this point:
Along with my old design (bottom blade) which was machined for me... seemed bit TOO perfect on the lines, so on the new one for casting, I hand carved and sanding as well to give it a more wild build feel. the new material is also NOT lamination of two separate sintra boards, and is so streamline.

Blade_2_scale_size.jpg

I'm actively working on found (home depot) ABS now, as again the method M.A. described works wonderfully!
I'm going to modify the spacers just a tad so that there will be some slight lateral movement (popping down closer to my knuckles) that will also serve as my forward locking mechanism (ABS lock-bracket).
I will also be testing out an idea to have a return action as well - but we'll see...

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

AngReed3180

Roit.. well, I've flattened and reshaped my ABS, made a leaf-spring out of the same, and finished and sanded my master blade down... soon I'll have pics and casted plastic/resin blades.
And yes, now that I think of it, this probably should be in the Arsenal section....

AngReed3180

Thanks for the kind words ;)

I'm really looking forward to seeing your take on it.
Having a bit of a hiccup at the moment, I ran out of clay for my two part mold bed, and had to scrounge up some more, THEN find out the rubber I have to the wrong kind (brush-on Smooth-On "rebound") so, unless I get something to thin out the pour, I'll have to layer over and over... and that isn't cool.
On the plus side, my Bio is coming along, still in sculpt faze, but it'll do nicely... I'll post pics soon.