Black Widow / Scarlett Johansson bust WIP

Discussion in 'Sculpture and Makeup Effects' started by VashDstampede, Dec 7, 2011.

1. VashDstampede

VashDstampede Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just wanted to share another female sculpt I've been commissioned to do.
    I actually started it a few weeks ago, but had to redo it, because the eye blanks I used were throwing me off.
    I've only done a couple of sittings with it, but I figured I'd post it as a sneak peak and maybe get some input from the knowledgeable folks here.
    I'm only sculpting the head section, but it's going to be built up as Black Widow. I'm hoping to do her justice, so please stay tuned ;)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks for looking,
    Ely

Gordon Gekko and benhs1898 like this.
  2. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks good to me, lips seem really full but I don't really know what her lips look like.

Looking forward to seeing more progress.

3. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

I agree you can def already see her 100% but the lips do look a little full and the philtrum may be a bit to pronounced. Just MO of course and looking very nice like all your stuff Ely. ;) Looks like your going for this pose.

[​IMG]

4. VashDstampede

Thanks guys!
    Yep, still early in the sculpt. I'll start fine tuning and blending things soon. I'm still tweaking the facial structure and proportions. I'll probably start seeing her in the sculpt after several more sittings.

5. Darth Niob

Darth Niob Sr Member

Looks great so far but man ..are you sure you wont be sculpting anything from her upper body:lol If i would have your skills i would do that:love

6. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That looks fantastic! You and Fettster's skills can't be beat on the RPF! :thumbsup

7. n0regret5

n0regret5 Well-Known Member

enlarge the eyes a smidge, reduce the bottom lip a touch....man this is pretty amazing. I actually feel bad pointing out where you could improve :D

8. streetjudge79

streetjudge79 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

9. lurtz001

lurtz001 Active Member

Great likeness , I look forward to the updates

10. Haywire

Haywire Well-Known Member

Yes! Another amazing sculpt and one that is pretty easy on the eyes! Definately going to be watching this wip...thanks for sharing!

11. Trilogy

Trilogy Sr Member

The lower lip does indeed require some reduction. Nonetheless, the sculpt is once again easily recognisable at this stage.

Previous work is a clear indication of what to expect by the time the piece is finalised. So we can sit back and enjoy watching this progress into another fine bust.

12. Leon Kowalski

Leon Kowalski New Member

great work!

13. aradia

aradia Member

wow you have some amazing skill there it looks great so far

14. fettster

fettster Sr Member

Looking great so far Ely

15. VashDstampede

Wow! Thanks everyone!
    I'm glad you guys are liking it even at this early stage. I have lots more work to do with her and I'll definitely try to pin down the lips and eyes as best as I can.
    [​IMG]
    Finhead - Yup, that's the reference picture that the client wanted me to try to capture. It's impossible to get it perfect, but I'm going to try to get it as close to that picture eventually ;)

16. doc

doc Active Member

That looks amazing. I'm very jealous of my your skills.

17. AGxM

AGxM Well-Known Member

Great stuff already.

Echo others views on the bottom lip - her mouth is fairly narrow and her chin a smidgen longer.

Still spectacular!

18. XtcofPain

XtcofPain Well-Known Member

* thats pure class. Looking great man. Cant wait to see more

19. Simmon M

Simmon M Sr Member

Ohhh lala! Fantastic start!

20. Zendragon

Zendragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Another amazing sculpt. Nice work on this. At first the nose looked a bit long, but the second pic posted actually looks really close.

21. camper

camper Well-Known Member

WOW Ely!

She is looking great so far!

I would suggest that when you take your photos of your sculpt to try and match the same lighting as your source material. That way you can compare how the shadows are falling. I think that the lips are actually closer to your source photo than they appear, due to the dark shadow under the bottom lip. :cool

°Jeff

CAMPer

22. reelprops

reelprops Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

There it is!:love I was wondering when this would pop up.

I agree that the bottom lip needs to be toned down. Perhaps the corners of the eyes a little sharper. She has very distinct features. Eyes and lips are the most recognizable.

Reel

23. reelprops

Ely, this is what I'm talking about...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  24. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

That's a very good likeness already. I would perhaps widen her brow and the top of her skull a bit, as it looks a bit narrow up above her eyebrows. Other than that I'm just gonna sit back and watch your magic unfold.

If I could mention one thing. Her eyes should have a kind of slant to them, looking to be lower in near the nose than out towards the temples. You have them looking rather straight across.

25. VashDstampede

Thanks for the compliments and critiques. I work slowly, but know that I've noted those areas already and will making the changes a section at a time.
    I will be focusing on the lips on the next sitting and will be working on the eyes afterward, since I want to get those just right.
    Keep the critiques coming though just in case I missed something.

Ely

26. Haywire

Haywire Well-Known Member

You are a total professional Ely. Not only because of your work, but also of you acceptance of critiques, and how your work is never rushed or forced. Whoever is receiving this, is one lucky person to have this sculpt in your hands.

27. BrundelFly

BrundelFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Vash...she is amazing... what do you sculpt in?

28. Chris27989

Chris27989 Well-Known Member

love the lips :p
    great work

29. streetjudge79

streetjudge79 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sculpt from the * up!!!! Just my 2 cents.. :)

30. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sculpture would topple over to easily.

Sorry had to go there.

Nick

31. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

LOL. QFT. ;)

32. El Visitor

El Visitor Member

Woah!!!
    This is my first peek into the replica props forum (been mostly over at general modelling)

The is a good thread to start on! I'm in total awe.

This is fantastic work, really incredibly lifelike (to the point of almost creeping me out, lol)
    I'm full of admiration for those of you who can sculpt such organic shapes as I'm kinda limited to what I can work out on paper and measure out with a ruler.
    Maximum respect to you for this work of art. :) :thumbsup

33. j0wE

j0wE Well-Known Member

I love Scarlett's busts... I mean busts of Scarlett.

34. reelprops

Any updates???

Reel

35. Chris27989

Chris27989 Well-Known Member

any news on this awesome project

36. 666

666 Member

maybe a 1:1 full size ? mmmm yummy
    Excelent work, looks great, like to see it finished

37. VashDstampede

Sorry for the lack of updates guys, it's a hectic few months with the holidays, so things are moving a bit slow.
    Still working on getting the eyes and lips to the right proportions (yes I still need to reduce the bottom lip a bit ;)), but here's a bit of progress on it:
    [​IMG]

38. VashDstampede

Just read over the comments and thanks again for the compliments guys :).
    Brundlefly- I'm using Roma Plastilina oil based clay since that's what I'm most comfortable working with.

To everyone else - I may be adding a bust to her after the initial head sculpt commission, so stay tuned ;)

39. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

With BIG... details! :lol

BTW, maybe it's just the picture, but it looks like the bottom lip of your sculpt is a little bit bigger than the real one. Everything else looks awesome as always :):thumbsup

40. Too Much Garlic

This is probably the worst and most misleading line drawing I've tried to make, 'cause I really can't see that big a difference in your sculpt to the actress as this line drawing suggests. Though, in case it may be helpful, I decided to post it anyway and I'm sure, as skilled an artist as you are, that you can take from it what is helpful, if any, and just ignore the rest.

[​IMG]

41. VashDstampede

Thanks Abaris!

Too Much Garlic - It's really hard to match the picture perfectly, from the size of the picture to getting the exact angle.
    That's why I think I'm one of the rare few that actually post side by side comparisons of the sculpture to the reference picture. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment :D
    However, I do think that the left cheek bone (right in the picture) does need a bit of plumping. I'll get to that on my next sitting. Thanks and please keep the suggestions coming.

42. Too Much Garlic

I can definitely see that your bust is turned a slight bit more towards the left (right in the picture) than the reference, but it is very minute, but can explain some of the extreme discrepancy in that line drawing example. Buffing the left cheek might be a good option, but I don't think as much as the line drawing suggests is needed. Trying to think 3-dimensionnaly it seems things line up pretty well, otherwise. The separater (sorry, don't know the term) between the nostrils could be pulled up a bit and made flatter and the cleft (philtrum?) softened a bit.

Man... looking at the row of sculpts in your signature banner... just awesome pieces.

43. suckface

suckface Active Member

another great sculpt mate, your really nailing these liknesses , looking forward to your work in 2012 even more :)

I gotta add that it's great to see an artist excepting peoples critique as well as you do mate
    congrats on another great great female sculpt, as was said before on the Mila not many people do the female likness here but your making these look so easy ;) keep up the great work

44. Leon Kowalski

Leon Kowalski New Member

VERY well taken!
    TMG nice "plain" method of comparison. Simple is often best.

Overall Vash, it's awesome. You have mad skills. [​IMG]

45. pinkcloud

pinkcloud New Member

Absolutely beautiful ......I can already see her already .........good job ......u r an amazing artist :)

46. 4505marcel

4505marcel Active Member

Nice work, really like what you have done.

47. VashDstampede

Thanks guys!
    I did a major overhaul on the sculpt, mainly pushing back the chin area as well as softening the forehead/brow. It doesn't look like it in the pictures but it was a lot of work.
    Anyway, I had some fun with photoshopping in the eyes and hair, and I think she's starting to get there. Still need to refine the lips etc. but at least I'm seeing her now.
    [​IMG]

48. j0wE

j0wE Well-Known Member

this is looking great Vash. :thumbsup

49. Too Much Garlic

That's cool. .)

50. Davlin

Davlin Well-Known Member

Cool sculpt. From that angle, it's very lookalike. :)