black "wash" application

georgieboy26

how do you perform a black wash to accentuate the cracks and grooves etc in a figure......I never really mastered this, I am starting another figure and would like to get it right. does the wash affect the rest of the figure? i have given it a grey primer basecoat, and using acrylic paints

I've found one way of applying the black wash is to get all your colours on first, then apply a coat of matt varnish, then you can apply diluted paint. Only do a section at a time, you want to clean off the excess before it dries on the rest of the model. if you don't apply the varnish first, the wash will tend to stain all the colours. Hope this helps mate

I've found one way of applying the black wash is to get all your colours on first, then apply a coat of matt varnish, then you can apply diluted paint. Only do a section at a time, you want to clean off the excess before it dries on the rest of the model. if you don't apply the varnish first, the wash will tend to stain all the colours. Hope this helps mate
cheers for that matey, didnt want to affect the colors so this will help will give it a go later

Georgieboy, washing in general is a waterdown paint mixture. Black is also not your only resort. I see the your body is base coated a flesh color. Try using a burnt umber wash with a little bit of the base paint you used. Mix it real good and work in small sections. The key is not really to cover the whole figure in the wash. Try to focus on the muscle areas first and then and to your liking. If you want a great reference to learn how to paint, David Fisher DVDs all the way, or the best is to ask some of the other model artist on here. We have a lot. I really have to get off my lazy ass and start posting my recent paint ups in progress. I was also going to do a break down on dry brushing, and washing. I'll work on that soon. Feel free to PM me anytime.

J

Georgieboy, washing in general is a waterdown paint mixture. Black is also not your only resort. I see the your body is base coated a flesh color. Try using a burnt umber wash with a little bit of the base paint you used. Mix it real good and work in small sections. The key is not really to cover the whole figure in the wash. Try to focus on the muscle areas first and then and to your liking. If you want a great reference to learn how to paint, David Fisher DVDs all the way, or the best is to ask some of the other model artist on here. We have a lot. I really have to get off my lazy ass and start posting my recent paint ups in progress. I was also going to do a break down on dry brushing, and washing. I'll work on that soon. Feel free to PM me anytime.

J
cheers bud

you can try pro moddlers washes they are really good they have there own website and citadel have a larger selection of different color washes which are great too

i just have my paint and tiny cup of water. i dip my brush in paint and then in water. brush it around on a paper plate until i get it the way i like it. back and forth.

play with it - you will figure out what works best.

and for skin, i second using other colors other than black. if the skin is going to brownish go with darker shades of that. if you are doing P2 colors try reds mixed with dark browns, etc.

EDIT:: I forgot to add wiping it off. after you paint it on, wipe it off and rub it in.

Daman explained what a black wash is: black paint mixed with water. Thats it. How much you mix will determine how dark or watered down it is. Keep in mind that when it dries it may be lighter or darker that it looks when its wet, so you might have to put more black or more water in. I usually mix 50 percent water with 50 percent paint.

Black washes are perfect for crevasses and indentations. Once its dry, you can paint on the surface and have black still showing in the nooks and crannies...

Daman explained what a black wash is: black paint mixed with water. Thats it. How much you mix will determine how dark or watered down it is. Keep in mind that when it dries it may be lighter or darker that it looks when its wet, so you might have to put more black or more water in. I usually mix 50 percent water with 50 percent paint.

Black washes are perfect for crevasses and indentations. Once its dry, you can paint on the surface and have black still showing in the nooks and crannies...
thanks buddy

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back