Black suit/symbiote Spider-Man Costume Help

pjfinn

Hello! I am brand new to this, and am very excited to start making my first costume. I was thinking that the black suit Spider-Man would be the easy for me to start off with, as I love Spider-Man, and it's a very simple suit. The problem is I'm not so sure how to go about it. I was thinking I would just grab a black Zentai suit, use a dark blue/purpleish fabric paint for some shading. Now the spider is where I am little unsure. I was thinking that maybe this http://www.amazon.com/cdp2-white-t-...423699027&sr=8-8&keywords=white+iron+on+vinyl might work? What do you guys think? Has anyone ever used this? Any thoughts on the durability? Help?

I used Taylor McManus's pattern, cheap and good.
I recommend you print it from fabric on demand for quality, or zentai zone for price
fod will give you the sheet, which means you have to sew it up. Zentai Zone will have so-so sewing and tailoring.
Up to you

Peek73, thank you for that thread, that was incredibly helpful!

IndridColdx, I was looking to have something more unique, make it my own, you know?

Here is the Symbiote file:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_sNvgA37t6qOHlwbk5kY25FOEk&authuser=0

Or if you wanna customize it, just use one of my layered patterns!

That's awesome, thank you Ken. I really wanted to make a print file myself, but I didn't even know where to start. I want the muscle shading to be real sharp and crisp, like in the comic books, but I had no idea where to put the muscle shades, you helped me so much! Now to see if I have the skill to do this. . .

I'm really looking to make something like this
2613716-12_spider_man_saga__4___page_28.jpgASM-252-04.jpg3679015-7820874999-tumbl.jpg

Last edited:
Peek, thanks for referencing my thread :D I indeed did use a zentai suit, cutting out a pattern of white lycra for the spider. I used a product called Heat n Bond which basically turns the pattern you cut out into an iron on transfer, that way the orientation is perfectly centered and does not move when you sew it (all those little spider legs will want to move around on you!) I was really happy with the result:
symbiote_zps4b821dae.png

That's awesome, thank you Ken. I really wanted to make a print file myself, but I didn't even know where to start. I want the muscle shading to be real sharp and crisp, like in the comic books, but I had no idea where to put the muscle shades, you helped me so much! Now to see if I have the skill to do this. . .

View attachment 438567View attachment 438568View attachment 438569

One note of caution on the sublimation dye for a symbiote suit: I have owned two of these (one was a FoD print purchased from the junkyard, the other was a Taylor McManus pattern) and with both patterns they did not come out dark enough. The main problem is, they are printing black onto white fabric (I asked about sublimation dye onto other colors but no place I have found locally has wanted to do it). Since the pattern is printed onto white, it makes the black look a bit "grey" and sort of disappointing. I suppose there are things you could do to remedy this but at the end of the day, you are printing black ink onto white fabric and the white will show through as you stretch/move, making the suit look grey.

Just my personal experience, your mileage may vary. Good luck!

View attachment 438567View attachment 438568View attachment 438569

Most of the all black symbiote patterns are quite like that, unless you mean you want some blue, in which case Orhadar has a blue version.

Just keep in mind that muscle shading on black might not appear as you want when it prints out, as I have learnt it the hard way. Even FOD can't get all the details perfect. The darker it is, the harder it is to be clear

Peek, thanks for referencing my thread :D I indeed did use a zentai suit, cutting out a pattern of white lycra for the spider. I used a product called Heat n Bond which basically turns the pattern you cut out into an iron on transfer, that way the orientation is perfectly centered and does not move when you sew it (all those little spider legs will want to move around on you!) I was really happy with the result:
View attachment 438657

One note of caution on the sublimation dye for a symbiote suit: I have owned two of these (one was a FoD print purchased from the junkyard, the other was a Taylor McManus pattern) and with both patterns they did not come out dark enough. The main problem is, they are printing black onto white fabric (I asked about sublimation dye onto other colors but no place I have found locally has wanted to do it). Since the pattern is printed onto white, it makes the black look a bit "grey" and sort of disappointing. I suppose there are things you could do to remedy this but at the end of the day, you are printing black ink onto white fabric and the white will show through as you stretch/move, making the suit look grey.

Just my personal experience, your mileage may vary. Good luck!

Thank you , I'll keep that in mind, if only I could print black onto blue . . .

Most of the all black symbiote patterns are quite like that, unless you mean you want some blue, in which case Orhadar has a blue version.

Just keep in mind that muscle shading on black might not appear as you want when it prints out, as I hae learnt it the hard way. Even FOD can't get all the details perfect. The darker it is, the harder it is to be clear

Yeah i want the "shading" that is actually the blue highlighting, in the same style as the comic books. Essentially I want it to look just like the pictures, in real life.

I really liked Brandon's approach: He did a modified standard dye sub for the contouring and pattern, and then covered the entire suit in dimensional fabric paint to ensure that there was always some amount of pure black no matter what stretch or lighting conditions the fabric was under:

poster6_original.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back