Black Rain.....Why all the Blade Runner references?

Mr Webber

Master Member
If the internet was around back in the day early 1989 style, Black Rain would probably have been labled a Blade Runner prequel. At the time i remember vague associations mainly focused on the obvious such as all the Kenji, night scenes and lighting and left it at that, apart from talking about it with a few friends then moved on, thats all you could do back then.

Watching Black Rain again recently just highlighted how many direct references both visually and with some aspects of the storyline there are. Was SRS just being cheeky at the time? The only reason i can think of why he would put in so many references was that the main critisism of Blade Runner was that the detective in the story didnt detect a lot maybe.

View attachment 84029View attachment 84030View attachment 84031View attachment 84032View attachment 84033View attachment 84034View attachment 84035

Wow never would have made the connection between the 2 flicks. I guess I'll have to watch Black Rain again.

Fascinated me at the time, more so now with the net being what it is, would have lit any like forum up at the time had they existed. Was SRS asked about it at the time?

LOL I am sure he will be responsible for the Black Rain Special Edition now with Police Spinners and lightsabers CGed in and "a few new surprises" like Michael Douglas talking to Jabba...

:lol
If he does i will hold it against him forever and spew my venom across the world for an indefinate period.:rolleyes

Dont tell me all the BR mafia are in the witness protection program, anyone?

Interesting similarities, even has the Ennis house motifs on the walls.

I saw both movies together as a double feature at the UC Berkeley.

Nice double feature to catch though i bet you wanted to stand with the sun on your face for a little bit afterward.:)

Did you remember anything written at the time about why they are so similar?

Very cool. Thanks for posting this. It has been a long time since I have watched this film, and seeing how I love Blade Runner I'm going to see what I can find watching it this time with this knowledge:)

Black Rain is one of my favorite movies. Extremely under rated.
I've always noticed SIMILARITIES to Blade Runner, but never considered them to be REFERENCES. I always thought that was just Ridley's style. Just my opinion.

Gladiator2000_s.jpg

9061447_gal.jpg

Hauerblade.jpg

The Romans just didnt have neon, lol.

Last edited:
Black Rain is one of my favorite movies. Extremely under rated.
I've always noticed SIMILARITIES to Blade Runner, but never considered them to be REFERENCES. I always thought that was just Ridley's style. Just my opinion.

Gladiator2000_s.jpg

9061447_gal.jpg

Hauerblade.jpg

The Romans just didnt have neon, lol.

Twenty years ago i would have agreed with you but now i see the same shot set ups, camera sweeps, scenery and even sub text that goes well beyond some candles. The fact that this was made only eight years after Blade Runner also makes me curious to SRS`s motivations. But there is the possibility there is nothing in it and thats why its been under the radar for so long.

Could be. Scott did say in the you tube vid that the first thing that struck him about the location was how clean everything was, may have inspired him to put the audience back in the BR universe only this time a clean one.

Was thinking last night how similar even the two main charcters are. Nick is a detective who is pretty much fed up with the job, is to all intents an alcoholic and his wife has left him. And although simplistic, Sato`s and Battys coats and attitudes seem to be standard Scott issue.

Whatever the reasons behind Scotts intentional "marrying" of these two films i give much kudos to him for actually pulling it off. Both films are superb and i can think of no other example of this happening anywhere else in filmdom, especialy two films made in the same decade from the same director. It certainly will make my first viewing of Prometheus all the more worthwhile and interesting if thats possible.

I had to upgrade to the HD as well, the dvd has terrible quality. Wish i was getting a cut:lol

EDIT What was the release date of the BR Directors Cut? This could have been the greatest
manufactued pre hype for a re release in history.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back