Black Panther

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

ionhsmith

So I am trying to do a black panther set up with foam... first time with foam so any pointers would be great.... this is what I have so far ... early stages ... what can I use on foam to get the details?

Attachments

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Hazmat

People get really good results just by cutting the foam with an exacto knife and then hitting it with the heat gun which lets the cuts open up. You can also get thin craft foam for the details, that works better in my experience.

Bill Doran goes through a few techniques in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRrehVIlds4

ionhsmith

Thanks for the tip ... have another question ... what's the best way to bond the foam together ... I used high temp hot glue but it seems to come apart easily

Ikras

Can you give an example of what you mean with that?

I've been using hot glue for everything in my build and I've never had any issues with it coming apart. It takes a lot of effort to get a join to separate if I need to make any changes.

If you are still struggling with it, there's a lot of people who like barge contact adhesive. Think it's an american product but there are definitely equivalents out there. One thing to note is that I think it's much more toxic so you need to take that into account.

ionhsmith

Thanks for the response ... I hot glued the clips on the sides and they keep popping off other than that everything else is good

Ikras

Yeah, the foam should hold together well. It might mean that you need a different way to attach them. I'm not sure how well the glue would hold them directly. I think I've see some people use it attached directly.

You might consider putting some strapping on the the buckles and gluing that to the foam? Might hold a bit better that way. I've not tried it myself yet but that's how I plan to attach the buckles.