Black Ops 2

BF3 for me, M26 or not I still rock their socks! BO2 is just ridiculous. These games try too hard without offering anything truly different.
And running around worrying about K/D ratio's is OK until it comes time to help the team on HQ or CTF...
That's why I love BF3. Sure I can jump in a Heli and BS, but as long as I'm providing some type of support, we get the win.

I'm surprised to hear all the hate for this franchise. I haven't played Black Ops but I thought it was a darling of the gaming world. Odd to hear that people didn't like it.

Black Ops 2 looks stupid. Same old early 2000 graphics, same old Call of Duty gameplay. It's never going to change. It's gotten to be very dull and boring. I'm excited for Halo 4, I could use a break from all this COD nonsense.
:thumbsup Halo 4 FTW!!!

I don't multiplayer so i'm not worried about that cheaters. I pick up the COD games used. I would like to see something in a bit more futuristic as it's kinda stale. Halo 4 looks good too.

Treyarch is the crappiest team of the call of duty series. All their games are pieces of ****. They have no game value. The levels are not replayable and everything moves so darn fast that you can't enjoy a level.

Once infinity ward left, the cod series died.

The M26 glitch is that, when you use it with the underbarrel attachment on an assault rifle, each pellet or dart it fires gets the damage of that assault rifle.

So, a G3A3, which does 34 damage, will give you like, 8 pellets or darts EACH doing 34 damage. The other assault rifles will have darts doing 25 damage. It makes the game embarassingly easy, and DICE still hasn't fixed it. Also, the suppression makes your barrel "curve" in a sense. The game always had some conefire in it, but the suppression DRASTICALLY increases it, to the point where you can be aiming dead at a guy, pull the trigger, and still miss.

That makes perfect sense. I saw a huge influx of guys using the M26 after the patch and it never occurred to me why all of a sudden it was such a popular weapon now. Well that sucks.

I'm surprised to hear all the hate for this franchise. I haven't played Black Ops but I thought it was a darling of the gaming world. Odd to hear that people didn't like it.

Black Ops specifically wasn't a huge hit. The COD franchise itself is still a megahit, though, and is a bankable brand name -- at least until they torpedo the series by producing too many lackluster entries (which may end up happening...). Modern Warfare 3 was, I think, the last game that Infinity Ward did for the series, and it got mixed reviews, although the multiplayer is still insanely popular. We'll see what happens next.

Personally, between COD and the recent screwups with the Battlefield series, I think the industry as a whole is ready for a major shift.

That makes perfect sense. I saw a huge influx of guys using the M26 after the patch and it never occurred to me why all of a sudden it was such a popular weapon now. Well that sucks.

Yeah, that and the suppression got me to stop playing altogether. The shame of it is that I was really looking forward to the patch and how the guns would operate differently now, instead of there being a "clear winner."

Black Ops specifically wasn't a huge hit. The COD franchise itself is still a megahit, though, and is a bankable brand name -- at least until they torpedo the series by producing too many lackluster entries (which may end up happening...). Modern Warfare 3 was, I think, the last game that Infinity Ward did for the series, and it got mixed reviews, although the multiplayer is still insanely popular. We'll see what happens next.

Black Ops actually was a huge hit, it had the largest entertainment opening of all time, until MW3 beat it. After six weeks of release, Activision reported Black Ops had earned $1 billion in sales. In August 2011, Activision confirmed that the game had sold over 25 million copies worldwide, making it the best-selling game of all time in the US, UK and Europe.

Infinity Ward is still going, it's just that the two heads of the studio were forced out not long after MW2 was released, and Sledgehammer was brought in to help with the multiplayer of MW3 to make sure it came out on time. For the last several games, Treyarch and Infinity Ward have been rotating on releases for the series, but that may be stopping after BO2 and the combo of Infinity Ward/Sledgehammer may be producing them all after. I can't remember when that was mentioned, but I think it was before MW3 came out.

Ah, I was basing my sense of things off of reviews which, from what I saw, were largely of the "ho hum" variety, and comments from players who in spite of buying it still thought it sucked.

I thought that Infinity Ward or at least the main creative force behind the success of MW1 and MW2 (and earlier games in the series) was now gone, and that was why there was rather a looming question-mark about the future of the series.

I'm sure the games will continue to sell well for a while, but the thing I see happening with these and other game franchises is that people buy them, complain that they suck, and still buy the next one. That pattern has held for a while, but I question how long it will hold if the response to subsequent games continues to be "Man, this sucks. MW2 was so much better..."

Basically, at what point does the strength of the brand name alone just not cut it anymore?

The fact that the last few COD games have been great successes in terms of sale and revenue, the franchise is, understandably, reluctant to make any major changes.

However, it's been said already: at which point are the games too similar. I remember the first time I played MW3, visually I couldn't really tell the difference, sure some things are different but all in all it's pretty much the same...

This franchise needs some new blood, but most importantly they need to realize that the people are starting to get bored very quickly.

Ah, I was basing my sense of things off of reviews which, from what I saw, were largely of the "ho hum" variety, and comments from players who in spite of buying it still thought it sucked.

I thought that Infinity Ward or at least the main creative force behind the success of MW1 and MW2 (and earlier games in the series) was now gone, and that was why there was rather a looming question-mark about the future of the series.

I'm sure the games will continue to sell well for a while, but the thing I see happening with these and other game franchises is that people buy them, complain that they suck, and still buy the next one. That pattern has held for a while, but I question how long it will hold if the response to subsequent games continues to be "Man, this sucks. MW2 was so much better..."

Basically, at what point does the strength of the brand name alone just not cut it anymore?

That's exactly it, since MW2 this franchise has tried to make the games easy to play for newer players...

At what point does the older generation of COd consumers turn their backs to the franchise?

I already have. I was super jazzed for MW3 and laughed at the thought of BF3 being anywhere near its level. After beating the game on veteran and moving on to the multiplayer, I straight up hated it. Aside from a cool couple of cutscenes and a mission, the game felt like an expansion of MW2, nothing added. I hated multiplayer, I swear no scoping/quick scoping got even worse in this game, they have like 5 different UAV perks, there's absolutely no teamwork whatsoever in the game.

They may as well call the game Call of Quake.

I already have. I was super jazzed for MW3 and laughed at the thought of BF3 being anywhere near its level. After beating the game on veteran and moving on to the multiplayer, I straight up hated it. Aside from a cool couple of cutscenes and a mission, the game felt like an expansion of MW2, nothing added. I hated multiplayer, I swear no scoping/quick scoping got even worse in this game, they have like 5 different UAV perks, there's absolutely no teamwork whatsoever in the game.

They may as well call the game Call of Quake.

Same here, I bought MW3 but haven't touched it in months, and I've barely played it at all.

I never had any interest in MW2 or Black Ops' multiplayer, mostly because I'd heard about the perks, which struck me as about one of the dumbest decisions you could make. Let me get this straight. On a per-game basis, the player who is doing the best is given additional toys with which to further dominate the battlefield? What kind of nonsense is this? Let's make the guy who's already beating the snot out of everyone else even MORE powerful? I prefer a far more level playing field, to the point where I even think unlocks in games = asking for trouble. Give everyone stock gear and let player skill alone be the deciding factor.

I got black ops new as a gift, and I got MW2 free with my computer. Outside of that, every game I've ever played in the COD series has been bought used, and been pretty much played solely to have a goofy throwaway single player experience. And at this point? Yeah, it's ALL the same stuff over and over again. And it's actually gotten even more linear over time as the games have tried to become more and more "cinematic," to the point where there's often only ONE solution to how to beat a mission.

I don't even think that the "making it easier for newer players" thing is going to help in the long run. The franchise will need to innovate after a while, but even that may not work. I tend to think that gamers want their games to be the same and yet different. They want the game to stay the way it was when they liked it, but they want additional....something....to keep themselves from getting bored too easily. Personally, I think it's a fool's errand to keep cranking out cookie-cutter games like this. Eventually it'll get stale and people will be only too ready to jump ship to the "next big thing."

There are Free-to-Play MP shooters coming out soon that will be vastly different. Tribes, for example, is coming out soon, and that'll be WAY different from anything put out by either the COD or BF franchises. How long can these games last doing the same thing as before but with basically only a few graphical tweaks? At what point do gamers say "Seen it," and move on?

This is supposed to be a pretty faithful remake of Tribes 2. I only played the first game, but I really enjoyed it.

I'm embarrassed to say that I can't keep all the titles straight. I think I've played all the WW2 ones, and there was a Modern Warfare that had levels set in a Chili's type restaurant and an aircraft graveyard. More memorable titles might help...

What? You can't tell the difference between Battle Duty: Medal of Freedom: Modern Combat 2 and 1/2? ;)

Modern Warfare 2 was, I believe, the one that had the battle in the fast food restaurants. Don't know about the airplane graveyard.

I thought that Infinity Ward or at least the main creative force behind the success of MW1 and MW2 (and earlier games in the series) was now gone, and that was why there was rather a looming question-mark about the future of the

Infinity Ward is basically gone. After the two heads were fired, the majority of the Infinity Ward staff quit and sued the game company. Out of all the staff, I think only two employees refuse to leave.

The employees joined their two former heads and created a new gaming company.

You can find their law suits online. They even tried to sue to get modern warfare three from being finished and released. Treyarch supposedly did the majority of the story act game and sledgehammer did multiplayer which I believe since the levels styles matched black ops. They just slapped infinity wards name on it and sold it.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back