Black Ops 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Eopie Herder, May 2, 2012.

1. Eopie Herder

Eopie Herder Sr Member

Not sure what to think of this, set in 2025. Looks a little off. But, if Treyarch can keep the cheaters out better than whats going on in MW3 I'll be happy.

2. Dpeterson117

Dpeterson117 Active Member

Call of Duty puts out way to many games, it's getting stale..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

3. JoMamma_Smurf

JoMamma_Smurf Master Member

Everything after MW2 has been absolute garbage.

4. Dpeterson117

Agreed.

5. Delmustator

Delmustator Sr Member

I always enjoyed playing BF2142 until Punkbuster made it unplayable on the Win 7 Ultimate OS. COD needs to get away from the tiny maps that allow noobs to sit and kill people over and over with their Aimbots (PC version). The game just isn't fun anymore, BUT it will sell by the butt loads so they will keep milking it. It's all about the $$$, not the content.

I didn't buy BO1 and I don't plan on buying BO2.

6. Dpeterson117

I'm not a pc gamer so I don't have the cheating issues. I play on xbl so it's constantly monitored by staff and not up to the gamemakers to do so.. That's not my problem with cod.

My issue is that they are charging $64.96 for the same da*n game with a different skin! Why not just do dlc for campaign and multilayer? Instead of milking us dry...

7. Eopie Herder

Eopie Herder Sr Member

Unfortunately, aim bots are not limited to PC, Xbox live has that crap too. And they are ruining the game. Just look up MW3 aimbot on youtube and you'll see a whole bunch of them on XBL.

8. El Duderino

El Duderino Sr Member

Black Ops was an abortion of a COD game, terrible one of the worst games I ever played, I'm so happy I so my Xbox, games are just getting worse and worse.

9. Dpeterson117

I'm not saying it never happens, I know it does, however xbox live will do something about unlike pc versions where it is up to the developer to do so.

Besides I'm a Halo player, and I've been lag switched, aim bots, map Hacked. Lol I've seen it all, but it's like 1 out of 50 games.

10. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Black Ops 1 was decidely "meh," but then that's my feeling about every Call of Duty game, including MW2. I find the "YOU DID IT WRONG DUMMY. NOW YOU DIE" scripting to be annoying. I prefer Battlefield (well, I DID, anyway...) as far as online design goes, and I suck at the zombies mode, which annoys me anyway with its points system (I prefer L4D/L4D2 for zombie games).

I'm just getting bored with the whole "cinematic shooter" thing.

11. Dpeterson117

L4D was in my opinion an amazing game, as well as design.

12. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Definitely. It's quite well done. the main problem was the shortage of maps, in my opinion.

13. made007

made007 Sr Member

My favorite was world at war, still it is

14. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

I enjoyed the online portion of Black Ops, I was * good at it. Single player was meh. I bought MW3 and I just hate the online part of it. Single player sucked too.

BF3 is my baby though, I got hooked on it pretty hard.

15. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

16. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I was generally enjoying BF3 too until this most recent patch. Between the M26 glitch and the godawful suppression turning the game into Cataractfield 3, I haven't played in something like three weeks.

17. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

YAWN, YAWN, YAWN. Getting stale? The series is way past stale. The games are repetetive, mind-numbingly boring, and dull. With so many far more original games releasing soon, this is an easy one to pass on.

18. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

M26 Glitch? I totally agree about suppression though, someone could toss a rock at me and I wouldn't be able to see a * thing.

That trailer filled me with feelings of MEH.

19. MClass

MClass Active Member

Black Ops 2 looks stupid. Same old early 2000 graphics, same old Call of Duty gameplay. It's never going to change. It's gotten to be very dull and boring. I'm excited for Halo 4, I could use a break from all this COD nonsense.

20. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

The M26 glitch is that, when you use it with the underbarrel attachment on an assault rifle, each pellet or dart it fires gets the damage of that assault rifle.

So, a G3A3, which does 34 damage, will give you like, 8 pellets or darts EACH doing 34 damage. The other assault rifles will have darts doing 25 damage. It makes the game embarassingly easy, and DICE still hasn't fixed it. Also, the suppression makes your barrel "curve" in a sense. The game always had some conefire in it, but the suppression DRASTICALLY increases it, to the point where you can be aiming dead at a guy, pull the trigger, and still miss.

21. Chevyh0tr0d

Chevyh0tr0d Well-Known Member

BO 2 No thanks, one was enough for me since they made sniping almost useless with all the mini maps. I think I will save my money for RE6

22. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

BF3 for me, M26 or not I still rock their socks! BO2 is just ridiculous. These games try too hard without offering anything truly different.
    And running around worrying about K/D ratio's is OK until it comes time to help the team on HQ or CTF...
    That's why I love BF3. Sure I can jump in a Heli and BS, but as long as I'm providing some type of support, we get the win.

23. Dave Ward

Dave Ward Sr Member

I'm surprised to hear all the hate for this franchise. I haven't played Black Ops but I thought it was a darling of the gaming world. Odd to hear that people didn't like it.

24. Shade88

Shade88 Well-Known Member

:thumbsup Halo 4 FTW!!!

25. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I don't multiplayer so i'm not worried about that cheaters. I pick up the COD games used. I would like to see something in a bit more futuristic as it's kinda stale. Halo 4 looks good too.

26. EvilRocketeer

EvilRocketeer Sr Member

Treyarch is the crappiest team of the call of duty series. All their games are pieces of ****. They have no game value. The levels are not replayable and everything moves so darn fast that you can't enjoy a level.

Once infinity ward left, the cod series died.

27. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

That makes perfect sense. I saw a huge influx of guys using the M26 after the patch and it never occurred to me why all of a sudden it was such a popular weapon now. Well that sucks.

28. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Black Ops specifically wasn't a huge hit. The COD franchise itself is still a megahit, though, and is a bankable brand name -- at least until they torpedo the series by producing too many lackluster entries (which may end up happening...). Modern Warfare 3 was, I think, the last game that Infinity Ward did for the series, and it got mixed reviews, although the multiplayer is still insanely popular. We'll see what happens next.

Personally, between COD and the recent screwups with the Battlefield series, I think the industry as a whole is ready for a major shift.

Yeah, that and the suppression got me to stop playing altogether. The shame of it is that I was really looking forward to the patch and how the guns would operate differently now, instead of there being a "clear winner."

29. Eopie Herder

Eopie Herder Sr Member

Black Ops actually was a huge hit, it had the largest entertainment opening of all time, until MW3 beat it. After six weeks of release, Activision reported Black Ops had earned $1 billion in sales. In August 2011, Activision confirmed that the game had sold over 25 million copies worldwide, making it the best-selling game of all time in the US, UK and Europe.

Infinity Ward is still going, it's just that the two heads of the studio were forced out not long after MW2 was released, and Sledgehammer was brought in to help with the multiplayer of MW3 to make sure it came out on time. For the last several games, Treyarch and Infinity Ward have been rotating on releases for the series, but that may be stopping after BO2 and the combo of Infinity Ward/Sledgehammer may be producing them all after. I can't remember when that was mentioned, but I think it was before MW3 came out.

30. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Ah, I was basing my sense of things off of reviews which, from what I saw, were largely of the "ho hum" variety, and comments from players who in spite of buying it still thought it sucked.

I thought that Infinity Ward or at least the main creative force behind the success of MW1 and MW2 (and earlier games in the series) was now gone, and that was why there was rather a looming question-mark about the future of the series.

I'm sure the games will continue to sell well for a while, but the thing I see happening with these and other game franchises is that people buy them, complain that they suck, and still buy the next one. That pattern has held for a while, but I question how long it will hold if the response to subsequent games continues to be "Man, this sucks. MW2 was so much better..."

Basically, at what point does the strength of the brand name alone just not cut it anymore?

31. zartonk

zartonk New Member

The fact that the last few COD games have been great successes in terms of sale and revenue, the franchise is, understandably, reluctant to make any major changes.

However, it's been said already: at which point are the games too similar. I remember the first time I played MW3, visually I couldn't really tell the difference, sure some things are different but all in all it's pretty much the same...

This franchise needs some new blood, but most importantly they need to realize that the people are starting to get bored very quickly.

32. zartonk

zartonk New Member

That's exactly it, since MW2 this franchise has tried to make the games easy to play for newer players...

At what point does the older generation of COd consumers turn their backs to the franchise?

33. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

I already have. I was super jazzed for MW3 and laughed at the thought of BF3 being anywhere near its level. After beating the game on veteran and moving on to the multiplayer, I straight up hated it. Aside from a cool couple of cutscenes and a mission, the game felt like an expansion of MW2, nothing added. I hated multiplayer, I swear no scoping/quick scoping got even worse in this game, they have like 5 different UAV perks, there's absolutely no teamwork whatsoever in the game.

They may as well call the game Call of Quake.

34. zartonk

zartonk New Member

Same here, I bought MW3 but haven't touched it in months, and I've barely played it at all.

35. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I never had any interest in MW2 or Black Ops' multiplayer, mostly because I'd heard about the perks, which struck me as about one of the dumbest decisions you could make. Let me get this straight. On a per-game basis, the player who is doing the best is given additional toys with which to further dominate the battlefield? What kind of nonsense is this? Let's make the guy who's already beating the snot out of everyone else even MORE powerful? I prefer a far more level playing field, to the point where I even think unlocks in games = asking for trouble. Give everyone stock gear and let player skill alone be the deciding factor.

I got black ops new as a gift, and I got MW2 free with my computer. Outside of that, every game I've ever played in the COD series has been bought used, and been pretty much played solely to have a goofy throwaway single player experience. And at this point? Yeah, it's ALL the same stuff over and over again. And it's actually gotten even more linear over time as the games have tried to become more and more "cinematic," to the point where there's often only ONE solution to how to beat a mission.

I don't even think that the "making it easier for newer players" thing is going to help in the long run. The franchise will need to innovate after a while, but even that may not work. I tend to think that gamers want their games to be the same and yet different. They want the game to stay the way it was when they liked it, but they want additional....something....to keep themselves from getting bored too easily. Personally, I think it's a fool's errand to keep cranking out cookie-cutter games like this. Eventually it'll get stale and people will be only too ready to jump ship to the "next big thing."

There are Free-to-Play MP shooters coming out soon that will be vastly different. Tribes, for example, is coming out soon, and that'll be WAY different from anything put out by either the COD or BF franchises. How long can these games last doing the same thing as before but with basically only a few graphical tweaks? At what point do gamers say "Seen it," and move on?

36. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

I may just pick tribes up, tribes 2 was like crack for me, I couldn't stop.

37. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

This is supposed to be a pretty faithful remake of Tribes 2. I only played the first game, but I really enjoyed it.

38. Dave Ward

Dave Ward Sr Member

I'm embarrassed to say that I can't keep all the titles straight. I think I've played all the WW2 ones, and there was a Modern Warfare that had levels set in a Chili's type restaurant and an aircraft graveyard. More memorable titles might help...

39. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

What? You can't tell the difference between Battle Duty: Medal of Freedom: Modern Combat 2 and 1/2? ;)

Modern Warfare 2 was, I believe, the one that had the battle in the fast food restaurants. Don't know about the airplane graveyard.

40. EvilRocketeer

EvilRocketeer Sr Member

Infinity Ward is basically gone. After the two heads were fired, the majority of the Infinity Ward staff quit and sued the game company. Out of all the staff, I think only two employees refuse to leave.

The employees joined their two former heads and created a new gaming company.

You can find their law suits online. They even tried to sue to get modern warfare three from being finished and released. Treyarch supposedly did the majority of the story act game and sledgehammer did multiplayer which I believe since the levels styles matched black ops. They just slapped infinity wards name on it and sold it.

41. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Right, that's what i was remembering -- the brouhaha about those guys leaving Activision and striking out on their own. It'll be interesting to see the future of the franchise with them gone now.

42. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

Man, the new Uber supression explains why I got my supression medal so easily. Before the patch, I occasionally got supression ribbons mainly because I killed whatever I was shooting at. I think before the patch I had 20/50 ribbons. As soon as the patch hit, I was getting like 3 or 4 supression ribbons a round. They really need to tweak it.

43. crabra comander

Suppression is definitely horrible on this new patch. I don't know what their end game is on all this, maybe they're forcing squads to use legitimate tactics instead of running head first into a group. Rushing headfirst is occasionally your only option of course!

Still too much IMO, I'll probably switch to Squad suppression, if it helps enough.

44. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

No, they just screwed up. Same as they did with the MASS.

Like I said, the "end game" for me was just to end the game and play other stuff instead unless and until they sort this crap out. Similar stuff happened with BC2, as I recall, albeit more glaring -- they had a patch that totally boned server connections, so it made the game almost unplayable online. Took 'em at least 3 months to fix.

I wouldn't expect they'll get this sorted any time soon. They're probably more focused on that useless "Close quarters" DLC which I won't be buying.

45. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

I'd love it if they made an upgrade for the humvee's and dune buggies where if you score enough kills you can upgrade the 50. To a MK.19.

46. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I dunno, man. I'm kinda done with "upgrades" and such. I remember when people played games to play the games, not to unlock more toys.

47. crabra comander

Well, enough people are running their servers with bans on the Mass, and I noticed a sharp decline in it's use. I see the added suppression as a get out of dodge option only now.
    Haven't had too much of an issue, however, it has shown me that my Vizio does suck as a HDTV.

48. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

The issue with suppression is this:

The game has -- and always has had -- a conefire mechanic in it. Crosshair spread, conefire, whatever you want to call it. You shoot your gun and there's an area within which it hits randomly. The bullets don't go exactly where the barrel points. As I said, this was true before and after the patch.

The thing is, suppression not only increases recoil and blurs the screen -- it ALSO increases conefire. Before the patch this wasn't a huge deal. After the patch, though, with suppression jacked through the roof, it's a BIG problem.

You may have noticed that often when you're in CQC with an opponent, you may have your sight DIRECTLY on his body and may only be about 20 feet away. You fire, and for whatever reason still miss. This is probably because you're suppressed, and your bullets are flying wide in spite of the close distance. Basically it mans that the bullets exit the barrel of your gun and then I guess fly at like a 30 degree angle instead of straight on.

Now, I'm not a huge fan of conefire in FPS games in general, but I could tolerate it before the patch. After the patch, though, it's just freakin' stupid. For example, slap a Kobra sight on an SKS and try engaging someone at close range while suppressed. You'll probably miss quite a bit even if your sight is right on your target.

It's asinine and it's DIRECTLY caused by the ridiculously increased suppression. Between that and the MASS, I just quit the game. I got tired of trying to "make" a game be fun for me when it wasn't. I've got better things to do with my time. If and when DICE fixes this crap, maybe I'll come back, but I have to say I'm NOT impressed with how they've managed BF3. Oh, and their claims of drastically increased DLC options as compared to Bad Company 2? Total bunk from what I can tell.

49. crabra comander

*, now that I think about it I have noticed some ridiculous CQC moments where I pulled a Han Solo and still got killed.

50. great1

great1 Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to Black Ops 2 as I much prefer Black Ops to Modern Warfare 3. The spawn points frustrait me so much in MW3 that I don't even want to play it.