Black Canary Sonic Device

Rick Webb

Hi I been a lurker here for a while and figured I could finally contribute in a significant way. My girlfriend want to go as Black Canary from Arrow, She has already ordered the costume but I was looking at props and very interested in the sonic device she uses in season 2.

Screenshots_2014-06-11-05-15-00.pngScreenshots_2014-06-11-07-58-36.png

If anybody knows where it can be purchased that would be great. Meanwhile I am going to attempt to craft one of my own from looking at the screenshots it looks like a car air freshener modified with some leds. I found this air freshener at a local gas station

20140611_092952.jpg

I am planning on remove the internals then matching the middle section closer to the original possibly out of card stock and resin or mold-able plastic then paint and wire in some leds. If anyone has any better ideal feel free to include your input. I will update as I make progress

Rick Webb

So far this is what i came up with

View attachment 342578

Couldn't include the rape whistle in this one because I'm having issues with the size of the piezoelectric speaker. For those interested in making your own it was pretty simple I recycled the original battery, circuit board, switch and charging port so its rechargeable. I also added a submersible blue led from the craft store and that's about it. Basically you just remove the speaker and and plastic hose, then wire the submersible led directly to the switch.

View attachment 342580

Then i fixed that to the center of the circuit board with some hot glue. Next I took the top speaker grill and enlarged the holes first with my soldering iron then with some small files.

View attachment 342583

It could still use some cleaning up but its coming along then just to finish it off i used a piece of wax paper to act as a diffuser I would like to get the proper size diffuser lens but this will do for now.

And so the finished product

Instagramed Sonic.jpg

cocoescape

I am also dressing as Black Canary for a convention. My husband and I took a Sylvania Dot It push light and a 12vdc Piezo Buzzer and saudered together. Painted the bulbs blue and drew the design on top with a silver sharpie. The buzzer doesn't fit so you have to take it out of its case (carefully we broke the buzzer and had to re-sauder the wires). Also, we had to pull back the side in order to get to the inside, so I'll be putting metal tape around the sides. Hope this helps!

alsaher

Hey Rick webb , I was reading about your sonic device , but got a bit confused and wanted to know if it can really shatter glass ?

E Williams

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thanks for identifying the correct item! Awesome!

FYI the correct Omnitech speaker was also sold under the name "HeadRush pop up speaker" in Canada.