Black Angel - 1980 short film - played before Empire Strikes Back

Axlotl

Master Member
A friend told me that this ran before Empire Strikes Back in the theater, but I don't remember it.
Of course, I was only 8 and probably impatient to see X-wings and lightsabers.
Does anybody here remember this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Black Angel - 1980 short film

Believe it only played ahead of empire in the UK, not the U.S. The mace head on the Black Angel staff looks familiar. Looks like one of the Tusken Raider mace heads from A New Hope...

Re: Black Angel - 1980 short film

BUMP for an IMO important piece of genre movie history because of its obvious, even if small, cinematic influence on both "Excalibur" and "Empire strikes back". Changing the thread title to connect it directly to Star Wars might help in generating more interest in this topic. The "usual suspects" are missing from this discussion, so ...

And there´s a fundraiser for a feature film!!!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/black-angel-a-fantasy-feature-film#/

Last edited:
I remember seeing it with The Empire Strikes Back.
The remastered version seems much more colourful than it was in the cinema. The print I saw was very washed out and drab.
At the time it reminded me of the old BBC filler short films about castles featuring shakey cam sound effects and voice over only (no actors)

here's one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bcxwcO2ncI

Jim

Great find!!! I remember this one quite well, as I caught it three times with TESB. I always wondered what became of it, along with that computer animated short film about the history of civilisation that was shown with ROTJ. So many echoes of the films that came after this like Highlander and Willow. Many thanks.

PS I think we've just discovered who Kylo Rens Dad was. And is that Reys staff???? Thirty Four years is about right. Just joking!!!!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back