Bizarro Lois' 2013 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Queen of Hearts

Bizarro Lois

Sr Member
Edited for the Halloween Costume Contest. I'm adding my proof photo right here so it's easy to find.
10681524853_c276d55397.jpg

I've been really busy lately, but I am working on this for the Pittsburgh Comicon, Halloween, and hopefully DragonCon next year.
9684629908_aca1324d5e.jpg

I'm still working out the red and black skirt and bodice, but I'm putting the finishing touches on bloomers and the yellow and black underskirt. I have my sister-in-law's hoop skirt and will also be making a petticoat. Here are a few progress pics:
One of two panels for the bloomers. They're actually almost done, so I'll post pics once they're complete. I just used a pair of baggy shorts turned inside out for the pattern. The hearts are cut out and attached with stitch witchery.
9684630344_e61451601f.jpg

The black and yellow alternating pieces. I also have the back panels cut from solid black and yellow. I've rewatched the movie and the yellow is definitely a different shade on either side of the V. Looking at it while sewing was starting to play tricks on my eyes.
9681394535_f5b0a91e8b.jpg

9684633696_4313c66a34.jpg

9684635300_0c33f4dc82.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Queen of Hearts costume - Disney animated version

Cool. Can't wait to see this progress, subscribing. I love the material you've got working for the bloomers. This is going to be fun.

Awesome idea for a costume! Looking forward to seeing its progress!

Subbed

Such an iconic character design. Looking forward to seeing the finished costume.

I've been working on the bodice, trying to rework one I already have and use it as a pattern. It isn't going well. Does anyone know of a reliable, fairly user-friendly tutorial on drafting a bodice from scratch? I haven't found any patterns that are what I want and available in my size.

It looks like I may have a some leads on how to do the bodice, thank goodness. I was getting frustrated with it, so I took a break from that and have been working on some other details, like sewing lace on the bloomers, making sure all the hearts are firmly attached, and repairing the hoop skirt I borrowed from my sister-in-law. Oh, and shopping for flamingos. I cut out the pieces for the outer skirt and have started to attach them. I have to try the skirts on with the hoops to see how far I have to hem them.
9715672835_0256f08531.jpg

This is going to be awesome! I'm a big Alice in Wonderland and Disney fan, and this is turning out really well so far! :thumbsup

Here are the completed bloomers:
9811980906_7945daf534.jpg

And here is the "pattern" I'm using for the bodice. This is a picture of the trial run that I basted together after modifying an existing pattern.
9812036133_feb91ddeee.jpg

I still have to add trim to the red/black overskirt. I picked up a lawn flamingo, some expanding foam, and green spray paint, but the mallet will be the last thing I do.

I spent yesterday with my mom, pinning hemlines and getting help with the bodice. I had my basic pattern stitched, and she made some sleeves, plus a few alterations to make it fit so much better. The skirts are pinned on now, so I'll post pics when I finish sewing them tonight. Here's the bodice, post-alteration:
9882488153_c4693d696f.jpg

After going back and forth between heels and flats and deciding to be comfortable(don't want to reenact the scene where she shows her bloomers too often!), I found these that are pretty much perfect. Comfy and cheap too.
9845421635_a79673f0ab.jpg

I should have more tonight.

The costume is finished, but I had to skip the flamingo croquet mallet. I'm actually at the con right now, but I will post completed pics when I can.

Here are some pics of me wearing the finished costume. I guess I'll have to take the time to start a thread in the Finished Costumes section as well.

10035580644_df22f2d445.jpg

10035701783_307ea910d4.jpg

10045106376_c7f0963709.jpg

10045259623_cdb541f0d9.jpg

Any suggestions that would improve it? I was kind of thinking the waistline could fit a little better. I had hoped to make the entire dress a pull-over, but sewing the collar in took away any give that allowed me to fit it over my head. I ended up pulling out a little stitching and reworking it to have an eyelet hook at the back of the neck and a detachable collar. At the last minute, I had some trouble getting the skirts gathered correctly and fitting it to the bodice. My mom came over and informed me I was doing my gathering stitches wrong. (Read: I had never heard of gathering stitches on the machine and for years I've been just doing it by hand, which isn't exactly even. It was never a problem before, but with such a large area, I needed it to be as even as possible.) We actually had to gather one section at a time, stitch it to the bodice, then do the next one.
Let's see, a few other notes...I modified pieces from 4 different patterns for this. The front bodice, the back, the sleeves, and the skirts. The bloomers were patterned from an old pair of shorts. I even edged the bloomers in lace I found with a heart motif.

9681400231_cf4b78d179.jpg

The red/black outer skirt is edged in faux fur. I don't know how well it shows in the pics, but it has kind of a swirly pattern that made me think of roses. Between that and the texture, I was determined to use it on my costume as soon as I saw it.

9684636996_4a8624f406.jpg

The crown and earrings were made of craft foam. I even dyed my hair black. I don't know how to style wigs and none of the comb-in or spray stuff looked good enough.

Last edited:

Thanks! I posted a Finished Costume thread as well. I have some new photos to upload and will add them there.

Thanks! I posted a Finished Costume thread as well. I have some new photos to upload and will add them there.

Thank you so much for going into detail on how you made this costume, fantastic work. lol the bloomers are awesome! Wish I could offer some tips, hope you get some good ones. I agree the waist line and chest could fit a little better but it's an amazing job! Out of curiosity, how did you go about making the bodice?

booksandcorsets as well as mdb have gone out of their way to help me out with my Sandman costume whenever I have questions. :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back