Birth of a Hybrid Life Size Wall Plaque W.I.P (pic heavy)

paitan

Hi all,
My good friend sculpted this wall plaque a few years ago. I think some of you might have it as well. He gave me a piece, painted faux bronze a few years ago. I didn't really like the finish but never had the time to repaint it. It was missing a couple of teeth. Plus, because it was made before the movie AVP came out, the alien chestburster didn't have the extra mandibles. So, I added that and the teeth. Here some WIP pics..
05042010678%20copy%20(Medium).jpg

05042010675%20copy%20(Medium).jpg

05042010673%20copy%20(Medium).jpg

16012011493%28medium%29.JPG

16012011495%28medium%29.jpg

16012011497%28medium%29.jpg

16012011498%28medium%29.jpg

17012011499%28medium%29.jpg

18012011500%28medium%29.jpg

18012011501%28medium%29.jpg

18012011502%28medium%29.jpg

Any comments are welcomed..Cheers

Thanks for the positive comments guys.
wow dude,......bad-ass,............how long ya been working on this ????
I started painting last Sunday. Took me the whole day. Did some dark wash and veins last night. Still need to paint the dreads and chestburster and the background though. And I'm still looking for a substitute for the quills. Can't really afford the ones on ebay.

Take away the chestburster and I would put that amongst all of my bios that I plan on purchasing that is really too cool though. Great job on the paint bro!

And I'm still looking for a substitute for the quills. Can't really afford the ones on ebay.

Someone mentioned on another thread, taking a black comb and cutting all the tines off and using those. Worth a look, at least. I mean, really, how much is a cheap plastic comb...

. And I'm still looking for a substitute for the quills. Can't really afford the ones on ebay.
I don't know if you have taken a look at Brians quills on ebay.he goes by Bountyhunter and he sells his quills for 9dls.
the best in my opinion.Brian was a collector for years and his attention to detail it's superb.

Simetradon: I think my friend had that in mind when he painted it faux bronze..
Guan-thwei: Not really sure if my friend still has the molds. He's currently focusing on doing aliens nowadays.
Darth Pinhead: Thanks for the suggestion. Didn't cross my mind about the comb. I even went to the trouble of trying to use toothpicks, and that sucked, bigtime. I'll give it a shot..
roninpred: You're right! It's cheaper now! Last time I checked it was like 39 bucks or something!
PredatrHuntr + celtpred: Thanks guys! Now I'm REALLY psyched up to finish this!

Just to add, the paint-up is looking like it's going to kick serious ass. Great painting skills, indeed! Don't suppose you could throw down some color on a white sheet of paper, showing all the colors you're using. Granted A) It's probably all mixed by hand 2) scanning/photos have their limitations, but a palette, none-the-less, would be a great future reference. Thanks, in advance!

Darth Pinhead: I'll see what I can do with the color charts. but I can tell you now, all the colors I'm using are just the average aerosol paints. I'll post later the brands and colors I used.
Meanwhile, here's some small updates..
20012011505%28medium%29.jpg

20012011506%28medium%29.jpg

20012011509%28medium%29.jpg

20012011511%28medium%29.jpg

Darth Pinhead: I'll see what I can do with the color charts. but I can tell you now, all the colors I'm using are just the average aerosol paints. I'll post later the brands and colors I used.

I am quite impressed with your paint-up on this. The colors really bring the piece to life. Looking forward to seeing the paint list. Thanks!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back