Birds of Prey: Is it a good movie?

Fritzy525

So I really like the DC comics, and I am a huge fan of Harley Quinn for some reason. So as we prepare for the sequel to Suicide Squad, I wanted to go back and discuss some things in the movie Birds of Prey. I personally thought that the Suicide Squad movie, the original, was not that great. However, I was surprised when I saw Birds of Prey, because I thought it was really good. But what do you guys think?

It was better than I expected it to be. I honestly thought it would be really heavy handed and preachy, and while the message was clear it wasn't too badly executed. As I've said before Hollywood often has about all the subtlety of a ball peened hammer to the face when it comes to social commentary.

It was certainly entertaining though mostly forgettable. I did enjoy Ewan McGregor's character death because I didn't expect it to happen the way it did. My major gripe was that it felt rushed and would have been better to delve a bit more into each character to give them more depth. Overall I enjoyed it far more than I expected too. I don't anticipate ever rewatching it but I was entertained.

I didn't care for Suicide Squad and unless a real trailer for the sequel hits that grabs me I don't think I'll bother with it. I've mostly lost interest with the superhero genre.

I see a lot of potential in Margot Robbie's take on the character (she's clearly invested and understands the soul of Quinn), but the movies they've put around her have not thrilled me. My biggest disappointments with Birds of Prey were that they felt it necessary to make Huntress into a walking joke and then made Cassandra Cain into a street urchin. On the first one, I get she's a broody, terse character who can create a good foil to Quinn's wackiness, but the humor just didn't work for me- it just diminished the character. It's like if you put Batman in the story but made him kind of bumbling and the butt of all the jokes. And on the second- why even have the kid be Cassandra? Just invent a new character, because I saw nothing of Cassandra in what they created here.

Haven't watched this yet as I haven't found this title all over the internet until reading this post LOL. I will update here on how good this movie is after watching it. Thanks!

It played like a high budget television episode with a recognizable cast. Not bad, and entertaining enough to kill 90 minutes if you have nothing else to watch but not great by any means. I was pleasantly surprised they weren't as heavy handed as I was expecting.

Terrible film... Plus they took crazy hot Quin from Suicide Squad and turned her into a crackhead frumpy mess.... Typical woke garbage they think people want to see.

Gonna update my opinion on this. Totally worth watching the movie. You will want to watch this anyway before you watch the next Suicide Squad movie.

I see a lot of potential in Margot Robbie's take on the character (she's clearly invested and understands the soul of Quinn), but the movies they've put around her have not thrilled me. My biggest disappointments with Birds of Prey were that they felt it necessary to make Huntress into a walking joke and then made Cassandra Cain into a street urchin. On the first one, I get she's a broody, terse character who can create a good foil to Quinn's wackiness, but the humor just didn't work for me- it just diminished the character. It's like if you put Batman in the story but made him kind of bumbling and the butt of all the jokes. And on the second- why even have the kid be Cassandra? Just invent a new character, because I saw nothing of Cassandra in what they created here.
I have literally said the same thing.
Huntress is basically batman so an almost completely self created character and they made her a male created idiot.
Cassandra Cain might be my favourite new character and they should have called her Jane doe for all the relationship to the actual character.
Harley Quinn is brillant and saves suicide squad for me however the script just lets her down in this film.
Why can DC not work out what Marvel are doing and honour the source material instead of this rubbish we keep getting.

I have literally said the same thing.
Huntress is basically batman so an almost completely self created character and they made her a male created idiot.
Cassandra Cain might be my favourite new character and they should have called her Jane doe for all the relationship to the actual character.
Harley Quinn is brillant and saves suicide squad for me however the script just lets her down in this film.
Why can DC not work out what Marvel are doing and honour the source material instead of this rubbish we keep getting.
Because as DC's head said after the avengers movie was a hit, they're just there to cash in, they're not in it to make anything good.

And that's not disingenuous, of course they have to make money or they're not going to make the movies, but that's not the #1 goal. Marvel set up shop because they said people weren't doing their stuff right and they wanted to tell their stories right (i.e. their way) and if they do it right it opens up more and more possibilities. In their case, the more they make the more muscle they have to flex and try different things.

DC clearly isn't going their (Marvel's) way. DC's not running the show from what i can tell, WB is. The studio doesn't care if it's true to the source, or anything else as long as they get checks to cash. It goes way back, too. The Keaton/Burton Batman's did great financially and with fans (not all fans of course, nothing gets 100%), but the studio won the power play and dumped essentially both of them and went super neon and they went downhill all the way to bat nipples. They got it right years later with Nolan, and then went yet another way for this BvS era which was not popular and now they're going in yet another direction for a 4th iteration There closest Marvel comparison is Spiderman, but that's been sony's screw job, not Marvels. They had a good start with Toby and Raimi and the studio forced its way in and screwed that up, then they botched take 2 with Garfield, and they finally got it right - when they turned it over to Marvel, and now are trying to steal that creation back and will undoubtedly manage to screw that up in end. Sony, like WB, just wants a 'universe' so they can cash a check. I think they're the same group who wanted to bring back ghostbusters, but not just as a movie or a down the line, sequel, no....it had to be a 'universe' of which the original couldn't be a part of it for some reason then proceeded to start that off with the uber flop movie. In both cases, all those studios care about is a 'universe' they can build so that they can 'cash checks'. The universe and check cashing shouldn't have to be earned in their eyes, it should be bestowed upon them because they bought rights.

Say what you will, but Marvel wanted to build the 'universe' to tell their stories which do take place in a 'universe'. The difference is they knew that wasn't going to be bestowed upon them, they had to earn it by building it. They had plans, yes, but knew that if the first one didn't work, there'd be no 2, or 3, etc, so they had to make the best Iron Man movie they could make or the next one might never happen, and then if Cap didn't pan out, they may not have gotten to do thor, etc. All these other players seem to think they can announce a series of movies 'because it's a universe' and that if it doesn't work, its the public's fault, or piracy or something else, because they can't seem to grasp the fact that that stuff has to be earned.

Because as DC's head said after the avengers movie was a hit, they're just there to cash in, they're not in it to make anything good.

DC clearly isn't going their (Marvel's) way. DC's not running the show from what i can tell, WB is. The studio doesn't care if it's true to the source, or anything else as long as they get checks to cash... The universe and check cashing shouldn't have to be earned in their eyes, it should be bestowed upon them because they bought rights.
The weird thing about this is they seem to want negative attention rather than positive. You buy rights because something is successful which is down to fans and then turn round and destroy it (Still looking at you, Artemis Fowl).
Marvel and Star Wars (Original Trilogy at least) have proven that fans will stand by you even let the little mistakes go and keep coming back to the point of some of the highest grossing films of all time.
Titanic is number 3 on that list because of positive fan influence.
Sherlock and Dracula are still bringing fans to the table.

Marvel set up shop because they said people weren't doing their stuff right and they wanted to tell their stories right (i.e. their way) and if they do it right it opens up more and more possibilities. In their case, the more they make the more muscle they have to flex and try different things.
I would love to know what film they were pitching that lead to the formation of Marvel Studios and the famous comment of can you imagine trying to pitch them Ant Man.

Wonder Woman 1984 makes Birds of Prey look like Academy Award material.
If you don't take it seriously at all or have zero expectations you might dig it.

Wonder Woman 1984 makes Birds of Prey look like Academy Award material.
If you don't take it seriously at all or have zero expectations you might dig it.
I am formulating an argument that WW84 is the worse comic book movie ever made. It is very convincing. It's the script which is an 80s male lead film with the genders flipped however there is a nasty edge to it for some reason.
I think it is the fact that WW is maybe my favorite DC movie and then they gave us this recycled Superman script with no real thought in it at all.
Ok, before anyone says anything I am a Bat fan and I like some of the Bat films however there is a why is this not better attached to all of them.

Personally, I've always felt that DC/WB should've let their animation branch people run the live action branch as well. Aside from some of the more recent outings where they've tried to shoehorn older stories to fit into the New 52 continuity and adding some changes, they've been hitting it out of the park with their animated outings. If they just put the Young Justice showrunners in charge of everything live action DC then I think that their movies and TV shows would be so much better and they'd hear far fewer complaints since those guys really get their characters and know how to write compelling super hero stories. All they'd need is for WB to keep their hands off and let them do what they do best and maybe assign them someone more experienced in live action productions to help them work out things that might work well in animation but not so well in live action.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back