Bioshock 2 Subject Delta Dragoncon 2021

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

RINZLERTRON

Sr Member
Hey everyone,

As I’m working on way too many projects as always (2 Batman costumes and a Lu Bu Reaper from Overwatch) I figured... why not throw in a 4th costume that actually has an end date/goal in mind.
The goal is to get this thing done and use it for the aquarium party and maybe even contest at Dragoncon 2021. I’ve been working on it now for quite a while but just now feel comfortable posting pics of it.
So this started out as a pep model. This one to be exact:
87959F8B-5040-4A5E-80B0-F3182304F17B.jpeg

I didn’t modify it or anything.... I wanted it true to the games size and “girth”. What I did next was, of course, print it, cut it, and glue it together. After layer upon layer of fiberglass and bondo (and some apoxy sculpt) we got to this stage:

2D3A870E-276E-4EE7-8987-B8F13364B6EE.jpeg

Next I went ahead and added some more details, molded a wing but I bought off of a diving store online, and started casting the bolts. I added googly eyes as the rivets but wasn’t too happy with the size. So, I got some smaller ones, peeled them off, and replaced them:
51F50FB5-7258-4AF0-A78B-EBA7E75D1C74.jpeg

A99C83C9-EB0C-414D-97FB-24E1CF58334F.jpeg

2AE3529A-A1A5-43AD-BA7C-EC36B1268D0E.jpeg
After some sanding and texturing and clean up, it was time for paint.
4C90EBFD-D994-4E46-8531-1425BCD9843A.jpeg
9C41488B-6F33-4A66-9D30-B4F259D18B6E.jpeg

D8171DEF-EB3C-41A1-9A6E-6AC6D5C64CE1.jpeg
F14A6A67-BEE1-4DF8-A38B-9ABD6FDCBD6A.jpeg
5B928D94-659B-436A-B35E-0A54892A749A.jpeg
7469459B-98F2-458F-9587-0BD26F297AC0.jpeg

there’s still so much left to do... the helmet isn’t even 70% done, I still have to attach all the tanks, attach the diving weight, ropes, AND eyelets that those all attach to, attach the tubes and the braided hoses, finish the front of the camera on the top of the head, attach all the little bolts that stick up through the wing nuts, attach the brass piece that looks like a “bump” on the forehead (you can see the base of it), attach all the lights and electronics, do touch ups around the port holes, and then glue on the port hole glass..... hoping to make good progress on it soon over the next couple of months, but we’ll see... of course then the rest of the suit has to be done

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

toggle47

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Amazing work so far! Following, and excited for future updates!

I’ve tossed around the idea of doing a Bouncer or a Rosie for yeeeeears. What are your plans for the suit? I completely agree on your keeping the game “girth”, and curious if you have any ideas on how to carry that over into the dive suit.

Best of luck!

RINZLERTRON

Sr Member
Amazing work so far! Following, and excited for future updates!

I’ve tossed around the idea of doing a Bouncer or a Rosie for yeeeeears. What are your plans for the suit? I completely agree on your keeping the game “girth”, and curious if you have any ideas on how to carry that over into the dive suit.

Best of luck!
Thank you so much!
So I do have a couple of ideas. First off the shoes and gloved hand will be done like Volpin did his. So, an arm extension with a moveable hand and then pink foam sanded into the shape of the boot with a shoe inside for my foot. I’ll only add about 7 or so inches with the shoes, as the helmet will easily add over 3 inches as well. Being about 6’1-6’2 already, I’m hoping to push 7 feet in the whole thing. I’ll be adding about 3ish inches of shoulder padding to it as well to make it sit right on my shoulders along with a “Michelin man” style foam suit that I’ll wear under the foam suit. Looking at the game models, they aren’t built like humans even in the slightest. They almost have gorilla like arms and they’re just generally thick all over without any real muscle structure. So I’ll be making a padded suit to wear underneath the whole thing and then sewing a custom diving suit to wear over it. I prefer to use mattress style foam for padding, personally.
Will it be comfortable? No. Will it be hot in the GA and FL heat? Absolutely, but I always sacrifice comfort for accuracy in my costumes so it definitely doesn’t bother me. I have an ice vest I’ve worn with some costumes before, and a camelback, so that might come in handy for this guy! No where for any fans to go or else I’d throw some of those in the helmet... again, accuracy over comfort haha.

Patattack

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Looks amazing! I'm excited to follow and see the rest of the costume come together. I'm glad you're bulking out your frame and extending your arms and legs--I think the biggest failure with most Big Daddy cosplayers is "bobblehead syndrome", and it sounds like you've nipped it in the bud.

Do you mind if I ask how you achieved your finish? What were your texturing/painting techniques? I've been wanting to re-paint an old Pyramid Head, and I think the sort of pebbly sand-cast texture you've got here is exactly what I'd be aiming for (I'd just finish it as rusty iron instead of tarnished brass). Either way, your paint job is gorgeous!

RINZLERTRON

Sr Member
Looks amazing! I'm excited to follow and see the rest of the costume come together. I'm glad you're bulking out your frame and extending your arms and legs--I think the biggest failure with most Big Daddy cosplayers is "bobblehead syndrome", and it sounds like you've nipped it in the bud.

Do you mind if I ask how you achieved your finish? What were your texturing/painting techniques? I've been wanting to re-paint an old Pyramid Head, and I think the sort of pebbly sand-cast texture you've got here is exactly what I'd be aiming for (I'd just finish it as rusty iron instead of tarnished brass). Either way, your paint job is gorgeous!
Hey thank you so much!

So to create that texture, I used a trick I learned from watching some of Stan Winston’s videos!

Simply enough for the copper, it’s acetone, and then I use bondo body filler and the catalyst it comes with and I mix it up until it’s a goopy sludge. Then I take a chip brush and I stippled it on. If you want it more “pebble” looking, use less acetone. If you want it and more just corroded looking, use MORE acetone.
For the brass I wanted it a bit more smooth, so I decided to do a mix of fiberglass, bondo, and both of their catalysts.

Paint wise for the copper I used cheap metallic copper rattle can rustoleum misted with a hammered copper. Then I used all sorts of splattering of blues, browns, whites, creams, and greens (all watered down acrylics). Once that was done I sealed it with a gloss clear and went back over it with a black wash and the same copper I used sprayed onto a brush (so basically dry brushing with the spray paint). Then I went in some areas and used some dry blue, green, and white, with a brown wash over it for the more prominent patina look. I used a little bit of oils thinned with naphtha as well, but just a brown splatter here and there.
The brass portions were done with Vallejo brass and then dry brushed with black. Then I used a couple of watered down browns and greens over it until I was happy. I then dry brushed two different brass acrylics over it. Lastly I went around the little “rivets” and wing nuts on the brass with an antiquing glaze and liquitex gloss varnish.

RINZLERTRON

Sr Member
Thought it might be neat to have some barnacles on the back of the helmet (there will be some bigger ones on the tanks too I think). Used some hot glue and some little tools to spin up some barnacles, attached them, coated everything in miniature grass, dirt, and gloss super heavy gel for a nice gross look, and then gave them a paint job.
9347E9B2-853D-4CC8-A8A1-5D04A75459A1.jpeg

67AD7E73-CFA4-4E15-9C18-B25765E770A0.jpeg

Last edited:

RINZLERTRON

Sr Member
Alright, so question time.... Anyone have any idea what kind of tubes these are based on? To me it looks almost braided, and definitely a softer "sleeve" portion on the outside instead of just a plastic or rubber tube....
Screenshot (4).png

I was thinking of using electrical conduit PVC, heating the pipes/tubes into shape, and then buying a braided hosing sleeve like this to go over it. Then of course doing all the weathering and grossing up.
sleeve.jpg

RINZLERTRON

Sr Member
Another close up
Might end up having to be what I go with, that looks really dang good! The sleeve is cheap so what I'll probably do is get the PVC Electrical Conduit and the sleeve to go around it and try it alone and with the sleeve and see what works the best.

Did you find that the PVC Electrical Conduit took heat pretty well? I've got the Neca figure for reference and wanted to shape them as close as possible to the shape they appear on the figure.

DarkJedi1500

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Mine was the conduit that comes in rolls, so it already had a natural bend. I didn't have a heat gun when I made the suit. But, my experience since then shows your should be able to make it pretty mauable with a heat gun.

RINZLERTRON

Sr Member
No updates till I get home in a few weeks and am able to finish up the smaller port holes, hooks/eyelets, etc, but here’s something kinda cool. Sat this guy up next to my Kia as a size reference for you guys.... making this padded suit and lifts to make him proportionate is NOT gonna be fun
4617F8FA-B6B6-407E-BAE3-3C264B836CA1.jpeg

RINZLERTRON

Sr Member
Excuse my crappy phone camera. Small updates... I’m replacing the bigger flashlights/eyes with smaller brass ones. I also added in the bolts into the nuts.
Paint wise, I added some oil leaks and some blood splattering on the side where his drill arm would be
F9DF0863-72B9-4733-B0E4-F6E61AB07B1B.jpeg
C55788C5-24BD-43EC-947F-785E60384033.jpeg
AB1B89DF-7DF1-457D-83E6-FF3E075B1C66.jpeg

SMP Designs

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is STUNNING! All the subtle textures just give it so much depth and the paint is mind-blowing. I can't wait to see this in person at DC!

BornKilr

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just curious, where did you get the 'knobs' that you used for the wingnuts around the breastplate? I'm currently making a Mark IV diving helm replica and need something like that

RINZLERTRON

Sr Member
Just curious, where did you get the 'knobs' that you used for the wingnuts around the breastplate? I'm currently making a Mark IV diving helm replica and need something like that
So it was actually a real diving wingnut that I molded and cast multiple of. It's kind of a junk mold to be honest with you, as when I pulled the wingnut out it ended up pulling some of the silicone where the "bolt" would sit with it. But since that area was being covered with the bolts, it ended up being okay.

Here's where I got the wingnut from. Wing nut, breast plate, flanged Mark V(polished) each | DESCO Diving Equipment and Supply Company Milwaukee, Wisconsin

There's other options there as well. I personally did not want to buy the amount I was going to need (12-14) for a few reasons: #1.... they're heavy. Really heavy. A pound a piece. That's 14 extra pounds on a helmet that already weighs about 20ish. #2.... that's about $400 to get it shipped to me. #3.... the brass wouldn't match the brass I was painting.

So if you get one, I highly suggest making a cheap mold and casting some reason copies.... I debated getting all the ones I was going to need for a while, but unless it's a full on metal replica and you're only going to need a few, I don't think it's worth it.