Bio sculpt help

lasruin

I'm a noob to predator costumes , but not to costuming as a whole (have a Mando). I have an idea for a bio mask that i would like to try and sculpt .
The help i need is measurements , front on and side on , and also if there is a good base to sculpt from as i'd preffer to steer clear of having to build an armature if i have to . I plan to use a mix of layers of super sculpy , fiber glass and bondo
if anyone can help , all will be appreciated , thanks ........ Las

Hello ,i found this one on the lair some time ago, downloaded it and now im making my bio according to this pic.
Hope this helps

Joseph

Bio_Size.jpg

Thats WAY to small for a bio to fit 90% of masks.

a bio should roughly be 20inches in length x 12inches widest across the head.

You're heading for a stone wall before you even begin. Your stated plans are not a good recipe for success.
First, you need to acquire a predator mask from someone on this board, and put it onto a whole head armature, available from numerous suppliers out there. Do not use a styrofoam head, it is too small.
The mask/armature will give you an accurate sized base from which to sculpt your bio onto. It will do you no good to sculpt a bio and then expect it to fit over a mask later on- cart before the horse.
Second, chuck the Sculpey, it is not the clay you want to use for a large project like this. Use a better quality clay, with better quality tools, and you will get a better quality sculpt. It's not automatic, only time and practice will ensure that. While you're at it, forget the fiberglass and bondo as well. You don't want to combine these materials together for sculpting, trust me.

The point is, you have to resign yourself to the fact that sculpting is an expensive hobby and requires a certain amount of investment on your part. There's just no short cuts in this regard. I'm sure there are others here with more experience than I who could lend more to this discussion, just trying to save you from hours of wasted time, not to mention wasted money. Then of course, there's a whole other dissertation on molding. Use the search engine, it is your friend, especially in the Huntorials and Materials sections.

well you could use these measurements to make one for display purposes only or maybe measure it out for you to wear without an undermask?
I just bought a load of nsp clay and sculting tools etc and have no money to buy a mask fo a reference yet myself.
So if its something you enjoy doing and/or just doing this for the learning experience then id just go for it.

i don't think i was quite clear , i total understand that this hobby is am expensive one as well as time consuming , when i was creating my Custom mando the gathering of parts took longer than expected , the money that was put into it was minimal compared to the time spent putting it together and i still have tweeks to make it 100% to my likeing most of which is just sewing . I have a clear cut idea of what to expect to pay out for this one which if it takes a year to do then so be it . I love to keep busy and really want something at the end to say i built that , i designed the parts . I never planed on using the predator head as i would have to use contacts to make the overall look seem correct and there is no way i can get them in my eyes , trust me i've tried . So i'm going to use Macgyvers tutorials for the suit and the bio , having looked at it i feel it gives me more creative control on the project . the armour will be made from sintra / foamex where it can be . I have the paintball mask orderd as well as a suit , next will come the latex once i source it here in the uk . I have an air brush (double action) and an HND in graphic design , so painting and the overall design should sit well . thanks for the pointers , still looking for the mesurments side on / end elevation

Hello ,i found this one on the lair some time ago, downloaded it and now im making my bio according to this pic.
Hope this helps

Joseph

Dude, stop the presses. Those measurements are wrong I posted them in different units not inches.
The 14 is in "chinese inches" which equal to 50 cm which is about 19.6 inches. So do the math! Sorry again.
I'm gonna take that pic off replace with this one:

bio_size_CM.jpg

cheers guys those mesurements should help , here's what i plan to use as the base , i plan to follow MacGyvers (hope i spelt it alright) bio huntorial , let me know if this looks ok

S6300148.jpg

S6300149.jpg

S6300150.jpg

S6300148.jpg

S6300149.jpg

S6300150.jpg

Are you using this to sculpt on? or for the final. U can always wrap plastic bag over this then use plaster cloth to create a shell armature in halves, remove the shell. Then sculpt on the shell armature after its dry. then u don't ruin this nice helmet with clay all over. IF you're creating a one off piece that will be worn using this helmet then forget what I've suggested. Good Luck

Dude, stop the presses. Those measurements are wrong I posted them in different units not inches.
The 14 is in "chinese inches" which equal to 50 cm which is about 19.6 inches. So do the math! Sorry again.
I'm gonna take that pic off replace with this one:

ok sorry didnt know that:) i guess ill have to modify my bio litke bit

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back