Bio Mask Material?

itiongo

ok, I'm trying to build my first bio mask and I can't figure out how to build one without using liquid plastic. I've already got a clay mold of the bio mask. what is everyone using? I've got some fiberglass cloth too.

first you need to get your terminology correct.

when you say mold, do you mean your sculpt or your mold.

here's the steps for making a hard mask with a soft mold-

sculpt- the clay sculpture that is what the finished piece will look like
mold-silicone or latex that you put over your sculpt that you will make casts out of
cast- what you take out of the mold and IS the actual helmet. ie plastic resin.

to answer your question, if you don't want to use PU resin, you can always use fiberglass resin and/or bondo.
mix the two to make rondo. and you will want to use the fiberglass cloth in it as well to make it stronger.

k. thanks. I'll go the rondo route. I've already made the clay sculpture. just need to make the actual mask out of the clay.

Again, you should be careful of terminology. The mix of autobody filler and polyester resin (about 60% filler, and 40% resin, each catalyzed with their respective hardeners separately and then combined) is usually called bondo resin, not rondo. Most people you speak with will be confused by the term rondo and think it is a simply bondo mispelled.

rondo is a term used to mean a mix of resin and bondo. the term is used a lot around here and other costume forums.

ps. it doesnt have to be a 60/40 mix either. if you want it thicker use more bondo, if you want it less viscous use more resin.

That is correct, it is not an exact formula, however I have found providing a ratio for a medium viscosity all purpose mix seems to put people who have no experience at ease. If they have that, they have a starting point. Then if they prefer thicker, or thinner they can easily adjust. Mixing stone is no different, yet people always provide the melted milkshake referenced as a response on how thick. As for Rondo, never heard that term before today, and I have been doing this for a while. I am not calling you wrong. I made my conclusion on the thought that I would think that I would have heard of it over the course of 11 years. Bondo resin has been the only term I have heard over 100 people use in the industry, and my comment was based solely on that.

Mike ..heard it called Rondo many times..not only at my shop ..but by mold makers at ADI ..and over at Steve Wang's. Its just a slang terminology that really isnt to hard to identify all considering it really is a combo of the words "resin" and "Bondo". This argument is much different then discussing the difference between the words "sculpt" and "mold" ..which when not used correctly can really throw off the reader ...as in the case of this thread.

now ..back to the posts at hand ..Im a little confused still ..you say you've made the clay sculpture ..but need to make the actual mask out of clay ...could you explain a bit more please...what exactly have you sculpted? ..it may be easier for us to help if you start posting pictures of your current progress

As I acknowledged in my previous post, you guys are not wrong. I made a statement based on the information I had.

Pictures would help a lot. This sounds like a layering situation, with several parts that are all based on the part beneath. Clarification is best though.

ha ..no worries brother ..i just wanted to let a few of the guys that arent doing this professionally that they werent wrong either ...trust me ...everyone uses terminology that differs here and there ..Im sure you still hear it now and again

I think it is only fair that Rondo be mixed and sold in a can with Rondo Hatton's face on it. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Coolio. Sorry if I caused any further confusion or ruffled any feathers

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back