Bikerscout helmet

darienvader

FIDMbikerscout.jpg

Would anyone here by chance know what was used to make the original Scout helmets? In some areas like the visor, it looks like styrene / ABS, but in other places like the face plate, it looks like resin because the line work is so crisp especially around the snout.

The snout detail is more than likely a resin cast peice stuck on to the face mask.The actual helmet is either ABS or styrene and is painted white.It's painted because the back and dome were formed in two parts with the split down the centre (from back of neck to forehead) and then glued together,filled and painted to hide the joint.The visor and face vacformed seperately.

I might be wrong but that's what I have been told anyhow :p

-Paul.

Originally posted by troopermaster@Feb 7 2006, 09:01 PM
The snout detail is more than likely a resin cast peice stuck on to the face mask.The actual helmet is either ABS or styrene and is painted white.It's painted because the back and dome were formed in two parts with the split down the centre (from back of neck to forehead) and then glued together,filled and painted to hide the joint.The visor and face vacformed seperately.

I believe everything you said is correct.

The scout is absolutely a resin cast piece.

I would add that the visor was also a two parter.

Cheers.
TJ

When you say visor in two parts,do you mean the actual peak/visor and face plate is two parts or just the peak/visor is made up of two seperate plastic parts?

I'd like to know because I'll be tackling this helmet in the future :p

-Paul.

The helmet is two pieces joined up here-ish:

twopiece_scout.jpg

It was sanded, filled and painted on top, but underneath there is a reinforcing "truss" piece much like what was used on the inside to join the two halves.

Edit: Removed offending image of inside of helmet.

The above image also illustrates the thickness of the attached snout detail.

Cheers.
TJ

Originally posted by troopermaster@Feb 11 2006, 12:20 PM
When you say visor in two parts,do you mean the actual peak/visor and face plate is two parts or just the peak/visor is made up of two seperate plastic parts?

I'd like to know because I'll be tackling this helmet in the future :p

-Paul.
[snapback]1181605[/snapback]​
That would be one interesting project I would follow with interest. I expect you plan to make it as close to the screen used prop as possible?

There are just a few things I have noticed on the official and fan-made versions offered that have prevented me from buying one of them:

1. the snout is too rounded and soft on the DP/Rubies, as well as some fan-made ABS & fiberglass helmets, whereas on one of the fiberglass ones have a too pointy snout (if you know what I mean).

2. the lower edge or groove on the cheek on the original appears to be of same depth as the upper one close to the lense, but on the official and fan-made version it is less pronounced as the upper one. (ask if you don't know what I'm talking about)

I was planning on getting the MLC helmet, which I consider the best, imo, version so far - even though it requires some alterations of the snout, lower cheek groove and also the grill detail in order to be perfect (for me). But may hold off on that until I have seen your version, knowing full well how great your Stormtrooper gear looks.

And here's the inevitable question: will your sculpt be for yourself only or do you plan to offer these for sale?

Please keep us all updated on this... especially me, since I can only speak for myself. .)

All I can say is that I will do my very best to make it as screen accurate as possible.It's something I've always wanted to make after I finished with my stormtrooper armour and now that is practically finished,I'm making plans for the bikerscout suit.I dare say some helmets will be available but cannot possibly say when.

-Paul.

Originally posted by troopermaster@Feb 11 2006, 09:17 PM
All I can say is that I will do my very best to make it as screen accurate as possible.It's something I've always wanted to make after I finished with my stormtrooper armour and now that is practically finished,I'm making plans for the bikerscout suit.I dare say some helmets will be available but cannot possibly say when.

If it's anything like what you've done for stormtroopers, it'll be worth the wait.

Here's a quick comp I did the illustrate the two-part construction of the visor.

BSY1G_visor.jpg

You can see the brace underneath, a small gap in the back, and some roughness on top where the seam was filled. Well, that's what I see at any rate. :)

Cheers.
TJ

WOW, nice high-res pictures you got there. Very impressive with all the details visible. .)

Is there a place online where one can find measurements of the helmet too (preferrably metric measurements) and more high-res pictures? That would be great.

Nice pics TJ,very helpful :thumbsup

I wonder why the visor is in two parts?I can't see it being hard to pull it as a single peice and should come off the mould easy enough.I can see why the main helmet is in two parts,but with a bit of thinking I could make a collapsible mould and pull a one peice helmet.

I can add this clue to the pie...

I noticed the MOM helmet had a very straight line up the backside which was very clear.

I took photos and will try to retrieve them.

I could not see over the dome.

Helmet halves or a crack (awful straight for a cracked piece)

Originally posted by troopermaster@Feb 13 2006, 09:28 PM
I wonder why the visor is in two parts?I can't see it being hard to pull

Agreed. Steve Altmann has managed it a fair number times on his version after all.

Someone mentioned to me yesterday (and this is something I had considered myself) was that this might just be a repair job unique to this helmet. There is such precious little reference material available it's hard to say for sure. A nice shot of the underside of the FIDM helmet would certainly help.

I don't suppose anyone has a shot of that helmet from a low angle?

Cheers.
TJ

Originally posted by jeezycreezy@Feb 12 2006, 04:17 PM

Here's a quick comp I did the illustrate the two-part construction of the visor.

You can see the brace underneath, a small gap in the back, and some roughness on top where the seam was filled.  Well, that's what I see at any rate. :)

Wholly mackeral. I never knew the visor was two parts. I knew the backof the helmet was 2 parts, but not the visor.

Wow.

Thanks for sharing these picts, Jeezy. Not that I am going to tackle an accurate helemt any decade soon, but it is nice to see details like this.

Someone mentioned to me yesterday (and this is something I had considered myself) was that this might just be a repair job unique to this helmet. There is such precious little reference material available it's hard to say for sure. A nice shot of the underside of the FIDM helmet would certainly help.

Well if you consider that the backplate we saw at the MOM in NY was definately splitting into two halves (and did not appear to be cracks as the lines were far to straight up the helmet) and then take into consideration the photos above...

.....maybe the darn helmets were carefully seamed up.

This is exactly where I saw the two halves coming apart...I just noticed a feather faint line to the left of the vents. ...and underneath the shin or bridge holding the two halves together.

Makes me think the plastic was glued, sanded flush then painted.

I FOUND THEM.

Here is pretty conclusive evidence that the helmets were made in two halves.

fdfsdfs_op_800x600.jpg

splitbiker_op_800x600.jpg

And the dead ringer (if that aint two halves, I dunno what is...are...plural :lol ):

sp2_op_800x600.jpg

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back