Big Muscly Character Base for Hulk/Thanos/The Thing

superdaft1

As i begin to finish up my Iron man mark 4 suit i have been thinking of what to do for my next main costume build. A few months ago i started a Hulk suit that i never got to finish.
My new aim is to redo the suit using various pepakura foam files to create a plain base that i can then cover with a "skin".
Although this will start as a hulk build, i want to try to achieve a re-usable costume that i can modify to create other characters.
With the new Avengers movie coming in may (April here in Australia) i wanted to start with the hulk, but as Fantastic four is coming out in August i want to be able to adapt My costume to the Thing. I hope to repeat this with other characters e.g Thanos,Venom,Abombination etc
My method for doing this will be to create various skins for the characters that can easily attach and detach as i choose.
The Pepakura files i will be using are the classic iron man suit files (created by EyeofSauron unfolded by Jfcustom).
The files will be scaled up to best suit the proportions of the hulk (basically a big muscly man)
Capture.JPG
This is a quick mock-up of the basic shape i want to achieve
I used a 3d model of Thanos as a guide (credit to original artist)
some of the parts may vary from character to character such as hands, feet and heads
I'm really looking forward to starting this build
Keep in mind this build may not start straight away as i still have to finish my iron man suit
Any questions feel free to ask!:)

Link to files I used: http://www.therpf.com/f24/jfcustoms-foam-files-148889/
(scroll until you find classic iron man)

(Thank you to hapslappy, Override and biopredator for inspiring me to build this suit!)

update
I spent a few hours devising a list of characters that can probably be made using this method

List of characters that can be made! (pt 1)

1. A-bomb
A-bomb.png
2. Abomination
Abombination.jpg
3.Apocalypse
1726580-1200066_apocalypse-oscar-isaac-is-officially-cast-as-apocalypse.jpeg
4. Bane
bane.jpg
5. Beast
Beast.jpg

6.colossus
Colossus.png
7. Darkseid
Darkseid.png
8. Grey Hulk
Grey Hulk.jpg
9. Hellboy
3848125-4745760167-hellb.jpg
10.Juggernaut
SDCC_2014_66449.jpg
11.Killer Croc
Killer Croc.jpg
12. Kilowog
Kilowog_Green_Lantern_Movie-1.jpg
13.Kurse
Kurse.png
14.Man-thing
man-thing.jpg
15.Rancor
Rancor.jpg
16.Red Hulk
Red Hulk.jpg
17.Rhino
Rhino.jpg
18.Sandman
sandman.jpg
19.Thanos
Thanos.jpg
20.The Hulk
The Hulk.jpg
21.The Lizard
The Lizard.jpg
22. The Thing
Fantastic-Four-Trailer-Photo-Team-Shot.jpg
23.Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.jpg

Last edited:
If anyone wants me to post the full list of characters i've considered building in the future, just let me know and i'll add it to the main post ;)
(side note: The characters aren't all from the marvel franchise, they are also from the dc, ninja turtles and disney/pixar franchises)

- - - Updated - - -

I hope to start building in a week!
I first have to purchase the materials and figure out the correct measurements for the pepakura pieces.

Thanks for the shout out superdaft1! I claim 2015 as the rise of the Big Guy Builds :lol
Haha no problem!
There are so many at the moment
i'm hoping to make at least three or four skins for my suit by the end of the year
2015 is definitely the year of the big guy builds in my case haha
hopefully im not sick of them by the end

Wow! This looks like a really amazing thread! How are you planning to make the skins? And will the facial features move in time with your face or are you just planning to keep it all static?

Wow! This looks like a really amazing thread! How are you planning to make the skins? And will the facial features move in time with your face or are you just planning to keep it all static?
At first I'm going to start off using really stretchy material which I will wrap the body in and try to seal with either Pva glue or plasti-dip (while making sure the material doesn't stick to the base)then spray paint
then I will figure out a way of attaching and detaching with velcro
as for the faces Ill probably use latex costume masks bought off ebay
if I can't find a mask online ill probably end up making myown
some characters have relatively human faces so I could probably just use my own face for that haha

At first I'm going to start off using really stretchy material which I will wrap the body in and try to seal with either Pva glue or plasti-dip (while making sure the material doesn't stick to the base)then spray paint
some characters have relatively human faces so I could probably just use my own face for that haha

As i make more and more skins i hope to use a new technique with every new skin
that way i get better as i go along
hopefully once i'm done making skins (if i ever finish) my skill-set will have expanded
i really want to use latex on the suits but i kinda want to start off easy and work my way up to that point where im comfortable enough to use it
over the week end i hope to purchase some foam and get started with this build!
I've finally finished my mark 4 so i can put all my time into this suit and i honestly cant wait!

As i make more and more skins i hope to use a new technique with every new skin
that way i get better as i go along
hopefully once i'm done making skins (if i ever finish) my skill-set will have expanded
i really want to use latex on the suits but i kinda want to start off easy and work my way up to that point where im comfortable enough to use it
over the week end i hope to purchase some foam and get started with this build!
I've finally finished my mark 4 so i can put all my time into this suit and i honestly cant wait!
I see. Well, it certainly sounds like you have a much better method for this than me. I too am planning to build a TMNT 2014 suit, but I plan on using just paper mache pulp for the muscles and PVA-glued-newspaper for the skin. :) Nevertheless, I look forward to gaining tips and experience from this build. Definitely looking forward to future updates.

------ The14thDr ------

I see. Well, it certainly sounds like you have a much better method for this than me. I too am planning to build a TMNT 2014 suit, but I plan on using just paper mache pulp for the muscles and PVA-glued-newspaper for the skin. :) Nevertheless, I look forward to gaining tips and experience from this build. Definitely looking forward to future updates.

------ The14thDr ------
well I'll be sure to try and post updates as much as possible :)
just ask if you need any help!
i still have a fair few skins I want to make before I attempt the turtles though
i possibly won't make them until the trailers start coming out for the sequel
at the moment the hulk the thing and thanos are the first three I really want to do first

If anyone knows where I can get a good foam pepakura file for thanos please post a link
Also thanks everyone for expressing interest ill try to get started on the arms over the weekend
I bought some foam mats this morning
theyre not as big as I would've liked but I can easily cut up the template into smaller pieces to fit on the mats
im not too worried about Seam lines as they will eventually be covered up

I bought some bigger foam mats
I've already started to cut out the bicep pieces
for anyone wondering i scaled up the file by 20%
i'll try to upload some photos in the next post
I've already put aside the scrap pieces so i can turn them into the thing skin later on this year

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back