Biały Predator Build

Scott1

Getting starting with my predator build. I needed to make a custom sized suit do to my large proportions. Curse my large rib cage and broad shoulders. So my method will be to use a duct tape dummy with a spandex suit on top. I am going to be cutting out muscle pieces using upholstery foam. The pieces of muscle will be glued to the spandex. I haven't decided on what kind of glue yet. However, I was thinking hot glue. After all the pieces are glued on I would apply latex.

I started working on the chest and abs today.

image.jpeg

This is one of the chest pieces. I wasn't sure how to improve the look of it at this point.

image-1.jpeg

Same piece as before. I took some scissors and cut the edges at an angle to try and improve the look and shape of the chest piece.

image-2.jpeg

Second chest piece next to the one I was rounding.

image-3.jpeg

Rounded the first piece some more. Was getting pleased with the look at this point.

image-4.jpeg

A set of the ab muscles side by side.

image-5.jpeg

Chest and ab pieces after rounding. Still need to make some oblique muscles to add more depth to the upper torso. I'm rather pleased with how it's turning out so far.

photo-1.JPG

A skull to set the mood.

photo.JPG

Foam shaving are just everywhere. Definitely a not the most clean project.

Will post more as this progresses. But, I have alot of foam shaving to clean up at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
[background=rgb(26, 26, 26)]Thank-you Rossi.

I have a question for the Lair. As I mentioned above I plan of gluing the foam muscle onto the suit before I add any latex. Should I be worried about the spandex that will be under the foam muscle scrunching inward after the suit has been covered in latex? Or am I just thinking too much into this and the latex will hold everything in place?

Will be cutting out more pieces tonight so I'll update the photos as I have them. [/background]

Got most of what I believe I will be doing for the muscles. I don't think I'm going to do the back muscles as most of the back will be covered in armor. I have a shipment of latex and latex colorant coming in so I'll be painting as soon as I have that.

Few pictures to show.

photo (3).JPG

Shoulder, biceps, and triceps muscles.

photo-1 (2).JPG

Want some feedback on this one. I think the thigh muscles are a bit too small. I was hoping to cover most of the outer thighs with armor.

photo-2.JPG

Half Mask from Xdmray. Painting it as soon as my supplies come in.

photo-3.JPG

Tusky Bio from Hez. It's actually a bit large for the half mask. This thing is monstrously big. Think I'll sand it down on the edges to make it fit better.

Went to the craft store this morning to get some brushes and glue. Ended up finding some big rolls of foamies too! So I'll be getting some armor work done in the near future.

Trying to get the muscle and base color of the suit done today. Tomorrow if the weather is nice I'll be trying to do some airbrushing.

Pictures so far.

image (2).jpeg

My spoils from the craft store. Minus the foamie rolls.

image-3 (2).jpeg

I was lied too! These are not one size fits all! Guess I'm getting messy today.

image-1 (2).jpeg

Suit on my work table.

image-4 (2).jpeg

First layer of latex on the front side of the suit. Letting it dry.

Gonna trim up the Half Mask while I wait for the suit to dry. Start painting it later this afternoon.

Ran into a hiccup yesterday. The foam took much longer to dry than the rest of the suit. Because of that I let it sit over night to see if my idea might not work. Thankfully it looks like it will work just that the first layer will take a good long while to dry.

image (3).jpeg

Used contact cement to hold the muscle down. Some of the abs needed some extra pressure while they cured. Holds well after the fact.

image-1 (3).jpeg

First layer of latex on foam. The foam really soaked up the latex. I'm guessing that's why it took so long for it to dry yesterday.

image-2 (3).jpeg

Just to show the color difference of the second coat of latex. It's still soaking in slightly but, it seems after one more coat it should be ready.

image-4 (3).jpeg

Attaching the thigh muscle. Had to pretty much hold these in place while they cured. Because of all the curves in the leg this was a rather fun way to start my morning.

image-5 (2).jpeg

Shoulders where a pain in the rump. I ended up rapping string around them to hold them in place. Though here I was trying the same method I did with the legs. Just wasn't working.

image-6.jpeg

Chest and abs with second coat of latex, legs with one lair, and the shoulders are sill drying. Suits starting to come together though. :D

Once the weather gets nice in the next month I'll be on this again. Clay. Have a few new props sitting in the corner of my room waiting to be painted. 

Very minor update. I've decided to base my predator armor on the drawing I've found. Currently have the bomb gauntlet template ready and some of the blade gauntlet done. I will be using the method Belfast Neil did using Foamex (Sintra) to make the armor. I'll post pictures of the armor once I have some of it put together with foamex.

gold_predator_by_bender18_by_deadklown-d36z2hy.jpg

Predator Bomb Gauntlet.jpeg

Predator Blade Gauntlet.jpeg

Looks pretty good.  I used sintra on a good portion of my armor and love the rigidity and ease of working with it, but would never use it again.  What I discovered the hard way is that the stiffness of it doesn't flex or move, causing all the hard edges to rub against the latex, taking off the paint.  I really thought that 3 heavy coats of permawet would have help eliminate the problem, but after 2 times of suiting up I need to do some serious touch up work to get it looking good enough for our up coming con.  I by no means am trying to discourage you, just wanted to share my experience with the rigid parts of my armor.  All the sintra is foam backed, and I made sure there were no sharp or rough edges anywhere near the latex, it's the rubbing due to lack of flexibility causing my problems.  If you come up with a way to eliminate or avoid it please share, I would love to keep it rigid without the damage it causes.  Everything is looking good though, and I'm anxious to see this one done.

Brian

Thanks for the tip Brian. I wouldn't have thought of that. Did you have this problem with all parts of the armor or just certain areas? I'll be sure to round the edges with a dermal and back the sintra with foam. I have plenty of foamie sheets lying around. The only idea I have at the moment is perhaps to use cloth rapped around the arm and leg where the armor will be. That way it will rub on the cloth and not the latex. Not sure about the chest , shoulders, and back. 

I did the shin/calf armor, thigh armor, and torso (front and back are 1 piece) armor out of sintra and fiberglass.  My gaunts are sintra and fiberglass as well, but there isn't allot of movement there so I don't have the problems i do elsewhere.  The thighs and shins are causing the most problems.  I think rounding the edges is a good idea, and may do that to mine.  The edges on mine aren't really very sharp, but I think if I rounded it, it would "glide" over the latex instead of "digging in".  Next time around I think I'm gonna sculpt, mold, and cast, but I wanted to get something done asap and had the stuff on hand.  Glad I could share some of my experience and hopefully save you from some problems in the future.  Nice work on this by the way, I like where it's going!

Brian

Small update on my suits progress. Started painting the hands ((From Mannowar)) and feet ((From Seahunterr)). This is my first time using an airbrush. The paint job isn't finished but, I'm taking a break from it for today. Will continue tomorrow. 

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back