BHP 24 Inch Star Destroyer Project

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Watson, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  2. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Wow, very cool Greg, remember you talking about this a short time ago, glad to see it coming to fruition. Keep us posted buddy......lee

3. Walter

Walter Sr Member

This is another one of those projects that I have always wanted to do. I will be watching the progress of this project with great interest... now hurry up get started already... ;)

-Bryan

4. 1138

1138 Well-Known Member

Greg, this is really looking awesome... Great work so far.

No kidding on the Texas heat - I'm sorry but 92degrees at 9pm is just insane..

Just curious, who is doing your laser cutting? It looks very nice and the panel line etch looks great. I'll be needing some work done when I get to that stage on my sandcrawler.

Can't wait to see more pics :thumbsup

Dan

5. Watson

6. star-art

star-art Sr Member

I, too will be doing laser patterns for the ANH model eventually, so I feel your pain. The panel lines are the real &^$.@ to this kind of project. Without those, it would be pretty easy.

Two words of advice:

1. Use milk plex. It is even better to work with than clear. I started out using clear exclusively, but made the switch to milk plex when I saw how much better it was for engraving.

2. The engraved lines you draw must NOT overlap at all. If they do, the laser will cut deeper at the intersection. This is what makes the panel lines so time consuming and tedious to draw.

There are ways to trick the laser to cut engraved lines in different widths and to different depths. This requires some experimentation. I invested a lot of time (and $$) into the process and got it down pretty good.

I can't believe they sent a C&D to your vendor. All this over a one-off? And how could they have even known the guy was doing the work if your project was secret? I guess we need to keep quiet about the vendors from now on and not publicize who is doing the cutting if this is going to be their tactic.

7. Watson

8. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

I crisscross lines everyday. The deeper intersections don't matter unless they blow through the material. And that's only an issue with .030" acrylic. Just so you guys know, when you cut lines into your plex there will be no paint IN the scribes. What that means is if you light your models with tubes they will look like something out of Tron. You will probably have to rub paint into the scribes unless they are shallow and wide. At which point they wouldn't be very attractive anyway.

9. Watson

10. star-art

star-art Sr Member

I have also done a lot of laser cutting. But I have had problems with crossing lines to the point where I sometimes get holes at the intersections. It probably depends on the width and depth of the engraved lines. Also, I use vector cutting for all my lines to reduce cost and so I don't do raster work which is much slower and more expensive. The vector cuts produce "V" grooves while raster makes a square cut.

11. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

This is going to be fun to follow.

12. Watson

13. star-art

star-art Sr Member

Condolences on your loss, Greg. :( That is horrible news. Glad to hear she made it to such a ripe old age though. :)

14. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Awesome work, Greg.

15. Watson

16. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss Greg. Best wishes to you and your family.

17. Watson

18. imaginager

imaginager Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

19. Watson

20. Ivanhotep

Ivanhotep Well-Known Member

It's Wonder Woman's Star Destroyer. Looks great.

My condolences RE your grandmother. I'm glad she had a long life.