Limited Run New Run - Romulan Ale - Beware of Romulans Bearing Gifts

If still available I’ll take 2.
Let me get through this first round before I take more orders. It's taking me longer than I would have liked but I didn't have fast techniques down when I made my prototypes and I'm trying to accommodate everyone who wants one instead of sticking to my 15 count run lol. So, I'm getting closer to have the first batch ready and once I start pumping these out I open another run or if I have a fast process I'll change it to unlimited. But hold tight. You'll get a couple soon. Thanks for the interest for sure.

Thought I would post a how Im building them thread so you can see the process and to update on progress.

In general, each piece is milled on a CNC. There are three different heights I'm using.
20210922_172323.jpg
So I cut everything out and just assign them in bins.
20210922_172420.jpg
There are 11 bins that contain various sized circles. 7 for the top pieces, 2 for the pieces that are inserted into the top and bottom of the container and 2 different sizes for the bottom. They come off the CNC all looking like this:
20210922_172414.jpg
Next step is take them over to my polishing wheels. I use an old lathe for this. Side note, if you ever want to add a polishing wheel to your shop go to Amazon and buy just a crappy lathe. You can find them for under $100. And if you work with resins or acrylic you'll want one. Anyway, after a polish they look like this:
20210922_172802.jpg
I fine turn it from there.

Next it's just assembly. The bottom of the containers I just snap in. It's a tight fit already and that's the way I want it. Then I seal it and wait.
20210922_172943.jpg
Then I pour water in each one and let them sit to make sure the liquid is staying inside.
20210922_183647.jpg

After that I glue the stand together and let that cure. Next I add the rings to the top. I have a piece of acrylic that I've made as a spacer to make sure the distance between them is right.

AND that's what I have done so far. These three sections are milled and the pieces are ready to assemble like this:
20210922_183709.jpg20210922_183718.jpg

What's left:
The caps and the small top ring (the one that skinnier than the others.)

Problems I've had:
Thin acrylic should be milled in smaller section. Don't try and do it too fast. I messed a large piece which sucked.
The sticker. I've tried two different ones and they look fine UNTIL you put liquid in the container. They then look cloudy. So I've ordered some more to try but if anyone has a suggestion let me know.

Thought I'd post these images of the original prop.

Attachments

• ST2 TWOK Romulan Ale Decanter Prop TFW Squib A.jpg
    ST2 TWOK Romulan Ale Decanter Prop TFW Squib A.jpg
    840.7 KB · Views: 92
  • ST2 TWOK Romulan Ale Decanter Prop TFW Squib C.jpg
    ST2 TWOK Romulan Ale Decanter Prop TFW Squib C.jpg
    696.8 KB · Views: 82
  • ST2 TWOK Romulan Ale Decanter Prop TFW Squib B.jpg
    ST2 TWOK Romulan Ale Decanter Prop TFW Squib B.jpg
    604 KB · Views: 85
  • ST2 TWOK Romulan Ale Decanter Prop TFW Squib D.jpg
    ST2 TWOK Romulan Ale Decanter Prop TFW Squib D.jpg
    703.8 KB · Views: 85
  • ST2 TWOK Romulan Ale Decanter Prop TFW Squib E.jpg
    ST2 TWOK Romulan Ale Decanter Prop TFW Squib E.jpg
    749.7 KB · Views: 73
  • ST2 TWOK Romulan Ale Decanter Prop TFW Squib F.jpg
    ST2 TWOK Romulan Ale Decanter Prop TFW Squib F.jpg
    791.8 KB · Views: 77
  • ST2 TWOK Romulan Ale Decanter Prop TFW Squib G.jpg
    ST2 TWOK Romulan Ale Decanter Prop TFW Squib G.jpg
    762.7 KB · Views: 80
Are those rings not angled in this shot, or is it an optical illusion? I noticed on some of your prototype photos that sometimes the sides of the rings looked off in relation to each other. On this shot of the prop, it all looks very straight up the sides of the rings... I'm not sure what's going on there.

Attachments

• ST2 TWOK Romulan Ale Decanter Prop TFW Squib A.jpg
    ST2 TWOK Romulan Ale Decanter Prop TFW Squib A.jpg
    840.7 KB · Views: 73
Are those rings not angled in this shot, or is it an optical illusion? I noticed on some of your prototype photos that sometimes the sides of the rings looked off in relation to each other. On this shot of the prop, it all looks very straight up the sides of the rings... I'm not sure what's going on there.
The rings are angles at 20° (its actually 70° but router bits go off 90° center). Ill post some better shots when I get back to my shop and update those pics. But it use a 20° bit on that cut.

20210927_191510.jpg
Tried a show the angle here lol. Anyway, the line on the box is at 70°

20210927_192019.jpg
Here is a better shot. These pieces aren't secured on there yet so it might be a little off kilter but it's pretty close.

By the way, I just want to point out that I'm trying to make these as accurate as I can. I personally think I'm pretty darn close. I'm going to have a label image tonight to show on the base. So fingers crossed that it looks great.

Attachments

• 20210927_191523.jpg
    20210927_191523.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 99
Hi, I paid a couple of weeks ago, but it's not marked as such on the list No. 27. Just want to make sure that was received and get an idea on when I can expect it in the U.K.?

Hi, I paid a couple of weeks ago, but it's not marked as such on the list No. 27. Just want to make sure that was received and get an idea on when I can expect it in the U.K.?
Sorry, I'll mark you as paid. Shipping is just about ready. I ordered some boxes for these. The labels are coming along but I'm not happy with them yet to show. Should be soon. I definitely apologize for the delay.

Sorry, I'll mark you as paid. Shipping is just about ready. I ordered some boxes for these. The labels are coming along but I'm not happy with them yet to show. Should be soon. I definitely apologize for the delay.
No worries, Just wanted to make sure my payment was received. Take the time you need, if a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing well.

Wow, I just found this thread. Definitely interested. Will there be another run? Is the answer "Watch this space"? Because if it is, I'll watch the heck out of this space.

I’m thirsty, so how are we looking on these! ;)
I'm really sorry for the delay. My biggest delay here is the label. I've been trying a few different options but honestly haven't found one I like. So I order something new, try it, don't like it and repeat. Most of the transparent labels aren't transparent enough imho. But I have a nice gold vinyl now that matches the prop color that I think is going to do the trick. I also might try printing through my sublimation printer on transparent stock because that will create a better solid image.

But I really do sincerely apologize for the delays here. I feel like I'm as bad as Anovos. No excuses, just super busy. I promise I'll have label samples pics this weekend. Next run is starting until I have stock. I hate when people waiting on me.

I'm really sorry for the delay. My biggest delay here is the label. I've been trying a few different options but honestly haven't found one I like. So I order something new, try it, don't like it and repeat. Most of the transparent labels aren't transparent enough imho. But I have a nice gold vinyl now that matches the prop color that I think is going to do the trick. I also might try printing through my sublimation printer on transparent stock because that will create a better solid image.

But I really do sincerely apologize for the delays here. I feel like I'm as bad as Anovos. No excuses, just super busy. I promise I'll have label samples pics this weekend. Next run is starting until I have stock. I hate when people waiting on me.Please put me down for 2 in your next run.

Please put me down for 2 in your next run
Thanks!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back