Best way to paint stainless steel?

TomGLFan

Question for the group: Recently my wife got me a very cool watch that's made with thermochromic pigment. (It's a purply-red when cold and a purply-blue when warm -- very cool.) Problem is, I'm a big guy and I had to add a couple of stainless steel links to the wrist band. Nobody will notice them but me, but I still want to make them blend in a little better. Assuming I can find a color close to the medium "resting" color of the wristband, what's the best way to do this? The watchmaker is no help; the thermochromatic paint they use is proprietary and they will not sell me either spare links or even an extra band to cannibalize. I sure don't want to buy a second watch. I do have the extra steel links and they are compatible with the existing band (they're actually on it right now) and I have the tools to install/remove them as needed. Just not sure how to proceed, or for that matter, IF I should proceed. Maybe the best thing is to leave well enough alone?

Last edited by a moderator:

spoudastis

Sr Member
It would help to see a picture of the band. Off the top of my head I might use tamiya "clear" colors which are semi transparent and build up to a similar color to the band. Kind of sounds like a heat stained exhaust look. Check out the link below for a painting tutorial.

http://www.escalemodels.com/forums/?showtopic=2496

make sure to put a clear coat over whatever you paint as the paint is not going to want to stick to the stainless. Good luck!

TomGLFan

Thanks. I've been trying to get a decent close-up picture; will keep at it. And thanks for the advice; I'll check out the tamiya.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.