Best way to make armour? (Stoormtrooper)

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Darth Storm, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

Hey guys,

So last night I was just thinking how cool it would be to have the full Stormtrooper armour. When I'm finished my bucket build I might make the full armour. I was thinking of using clay as it's obviously very sculptable (I may have just made that word up) and then when you fire it it's rock hard. Clay is also quite reasonably priced (I think).

Do you think this is the best way to go or are there better ways?

Is there any pointers or tips you have?

Any tutorials of similar builds?

Any thing would help me make my mind up.

I thought the best place to ask was here as everyone has so much knowledge that they share.

Cheers
    DS

2. MrGzilla

MrGzilla Well-Known Member

i don't think fired clay would be a good idea.. it'd be so heave it'd be unwearable, and it would crack and break pretty easily. if you sculpted it and made a mold and cast it in resin that would work, but after supplies and time it would make more sense to buy a vaccuformed kit. there are some pretty reasonably priced armors out there. i got mine off ebay for just under $300 and you can get a less accurate fx armor for even cheaper than that.
    thats just my thoughts on it, good luck

3. Theist17

Theist17 Member

Seconded on the sculpt, cast, and pull. It's the best way if you're going to make your own and you're striving for accuracy.

4. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

Sorry I forgot to mention I would just use the clay to make molds then vacuum form them or something.

5. MCL34N

MCL34N Well-Known Member

6. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

7. avianoguitarist

avianoguitarist Active Member

8. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

Cheers.
    I read through that guys page yesterday. He had some really good info.

9. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

What method do you guys reckon is better; clay molding or wood and bondo and stuff?

Anyone used both methods? Or is there a better simpler way?

Does anyone have a rough idea on how much this would all cost?

Cheers

10. avianoguitarist

avianoguitarist Active Member

Vacuum forming doesn't capture intricate detail, so it doesn't matter if you use clay or wood--whatever is easiest for you to do.
    Just building the apparatus will cost a few hundred. Then figure in the forming medium and supplies.

11. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

Alright cheers mate :)

I think I'll have to cross this bridge when my bucket is complete and see then if I want to continue.

Thanks

12. Fizbin

Fizbin Well-Known Member

An easier (and much cheaper) way would be to just build and fibergalss the pepakura files that are floating around this very forum. ;)

13. Dirty

Dirty Member

I AGREE :thumbsup but i ended up buying mine after the fact but was worth the quality and i had little time.

14. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

Are you able to vacuum form pepakura once fibre glassed and smoothed and what not?

15. widescreen

widescreen Well-Known Member

The cheapest way is pepakura (as fixbin) suggested.

The easiest way is to buy a kit & adapt it to fit you. This is probably to most common way.

The problem with vaccuum forming is that you'll need to make some master moulds first.

16. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

Cheers Widescreen

But is it possible to vacuum form straight over pepakura?

17. oota goota

oota goota Well-Known Member

Nope! The form will collapse under pressure. You will need to either make the fibreglass really thick (lie 15 - 20 mm) or else back fill it with plaster. Hope this helps

18. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

Okay. At the time being its still ideas in my head but I'd love to have a full armor suit.

19. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

Would boxing in the pep then filling with foam work?

Cheers

20. Psicorp7

Psicorp7 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Boxing would help but it is better to fill it with a more solid material (like plaster) or just resin and figerglass the crap out of it to make it strong than to use foam. Foam, by its nature, is mostly air and will collapse in a vacuum.

I prefer the MDF and bondo method since the master bucks last quite a while and can be modified if you need to tweek a detail or two. If you do go that route it will not really save you any money over buying a pre-formed kit suit. The vacuum table (I made mine for about $100), the HIPS or ABS plastic, the bondo, the MDF and then the various little things (tools and such) quickly add up to what an OK kit would cost. Plus it would take you months longer to make.

The only real reason to vacuum form is to make multiple suits. If that is your goal, then rock on! If you just want one suit for yourself, I would buy a kit or do a resin/fiberglass/pep suit as a cheaper alternative.

21. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

Re: Best way to make armor? (Stoormtrooper)

Thanks Psicorp7

The idea is still in my head, but I will have to wait a while until i get home to crack on with my bucket and then I shall see how I feel about tackling the rest of the armor.

Thanks again for the advice. I knew the rpf was the place to ask.:)

22. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

23. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

FX armour. Stay away. It's not accurate by any means.

24. CadetTK2386

CadetTK2386 Well-Known Member

25. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

Would you be able to tell me what's not accurate about it?

I don't really have the cash to splash out.

Cheers

Haderlump likes this.
  26. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

27. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

Go to white armor.net and or keep checking the junkyard section here for a used accurate set!

Or find a reputable seller of accurate armor (again, white armor.net)

You will end up upgrading, the accuracy bug WILL bite you!!! LOL!!!

That, and FX armor is hideous. See my sig! Here is FX (inaccurate fan sculpt) http://starwarshelmets.com/imperialfanFX.htm

Here are some sets that have been made through the years. Some like AP and RS props are still available! RS is WAY more accurate, AP is cheaper. AP is a little cleaned up etc. But both come from REAL screen used suits!!! :) Here is an old favorite: http://starwarshelmets.com/imperialfanCRP.htm

Here is AP: http://starwarshelmets.com/ap_helmet_and_armour.htm

Here is an awesome thread about the origins/lineage of the RS-props/Si-man armor and helmets! http://www.therpf.com/f45/original-1977-anh-stormtrooper-armor-helmet-95954/

If you can't see the difference in the FX.... Go home and watch Star Wars and ESB about 20,000 more times... And get back to us! (what's sad is most of us old timers here have prob actually seen em that many times!!! LOL!!!)

You will spend more money sculpting, making a good enough vac setup, and buying styrene or ABS (both are more than you would think...) And if it's your first time... Your gonna end up messing up or just getting bad luck on a few (or lots of) bad pulls. (it's tricky getting the plasic hot enough yet not over cooking it! Timing even with the perfect heat can be REALLY tricky... Etc etc etc.

Not wanting to discourage you... Just tryin to give you the facts in terms of accuracy! Really hope this is of some help to you! Good luck!

:)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012