best way to make an ultra-cal 30 mold

Roydraven

Hey all was wondering if any pro's could share there thoughts on there way of making an ultra-cal 30 mold how much to
mix with water and tricks to stopping air bubbles I noticed this vid on you tube of a guy making a ultra-cal mold for a pred head
wonder if his a member here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8hYA0zV4qI&feature=fvsr
he coats the ultra-cal 30 on first with a paint brush to eliminate air bubbles I didn't think of that with mine I've had a lot of problems with air bubbles wrecking the detail
any way any thoughts on this.

He said he's a member of the hunter's lair on another one of his videos, so yep!

I watched that video a couple of hours ago. It's a great tutorial. I do the same things he does when it comes to brushing on and layering the ultracal. However, I still get gi-normous bubbles. I really wish I had some über awesome mold guy here in real life to help me 'cause I have no earthly idea what's going on with my ultracal molds. I've given up since the last time I've tried and have resorted to other methods of mold-making.

Other than that no input really. I'm here to learn too. :D

really yeah I've had a problem with gigantic air bubbles too but I haven't done it his way
so I was really gonna give it another go it must be mixing it cause I've done a few crap
mixes and if you don't mix it just right it comes out crap if anyone else can give advice too it would be heaps appreciated.
I watched that video a couple of hours ago. It's a great tutorial. I do the same things he does when it comes to brushing on and layering the ultracal. However, I still get gi-normous bubbles.

He said he's a member of the hunter's lair on another one of his videos, so yep! :)

really yeah I've had a problem with gigantic air bubbles too but I haven't done it his way
so I was really gonna give it another go it must be mixing it cause I've done a few crap
mixes and if you don't mix it just right it comes out crap if anyone else can give advice too it would be heaps appreciated.

Sorry about the edit by the way, I have a bad habit of going back to my posts and adding extra.

Try tapping the bucket to release air bubbles and ensure that the burlap you use to build your mold doesn't have dry spots or air bubbles beneath them.

no worries dude I've been here for a bit and I'm still learning love this place :)
but you make mistakes then you learn XD

no worries dude I've been here for a bit and I'm still learning love this place :D
but you make mistakes then you learn XD

Yeah this forum rocks. :)

The problem with Ultracal is, I can't find anything else to learn that'd help me with my problem. I've looked all over the web 'n I've re-read the Monster Maker's Handbook a couple of times.

...Silicone has been faithful to me though. Czech out this guy's vids on silicone molds if you ever want to try that method instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icNVWlt9ZPI

thanks dude yeah I'm going to keep using it cause it is better with latex cheaper than silicone too
but I know a guy around here called Scott Marshall his predator sculpts are the stuff of legends
he uses silicone with latex so you can as long as you let it cure with some fans for longer than using
the ultra-cal molds.
Yeah this forum rocks. :)

The problem with Ultracal is, I can't find anything else to learn that'd help me with my problem. I've looked all over the web 'n I've re-read the Monster Maker's Handbook a couple of times.

...Silicone has been faithful to me though. Czech out this guy's vids on silicone molds if you ever want to try that method instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icNVWlt9ZPI

thanks dude yeah I'm going to keep using it cause it is better with latex cheaper than silicone too
but I know a guy around here called Scott Marshall his predator sculpts are the stuff of legends
he uses silicone with latex so you can as long as you let it cure with some fans for longer than using
the ultra-cal molds.

Cool! S'good to know there's another siliconian out there. :)

I still have a bag of Ultracal in my closet. I suppose I'll start a butt-load of small projects to get closer 'n closer to perfection. However, the amount of times I've failed with Ultracal makes me almost have a legitimate fear of using it.

What've you been trying to ultracal lately by the way?

yeah I say no fear just practice practice when I think of the money I have blown I say who cares
its all a learning curve well I have been doing something huge a predator torso I have gone through two and I will be
working on my third attempt soon :)
anyway anyone else want to come into the conversation and add any advice for us amateurs :D
Cool! S'good to know there's another siliconian out there. :p

I still have a bag of Ultracal in my closet. I suppose I'll start a butt-load of small projects to get closer 'n closer to perfection. However, the amount of times I've failed with Ultracal makes me almost have a legitimate fear of using it.

What've you been trying to ultracal lately by the way?

yeah I say no fear just practice practice when I think of the money I have blown I say who cares
its all a learning curve well I have been doing something huge a predator torso I have gone through two and I will be
working on my third attempt soon :)
anyway anyone else want to come into the conversation and add any advice for us amateurs :D

An entire torso in ultracal? O: That sounds very hard.

Are you doing the torso for a costume or a display?

well also there is either fiberglass or resin molds to consider... will maintain detail greatly as far as ive heard.

I just google'd and looked into those molding methods when I read your post. I already did my silicone mold this morning though. :3

Resin and fiberglass are expensive too!

For my ultracal practice, I'm going to start doing little bones 'n tiny trinkets that I'll probably end up using as predator jewelry. I figure that's the most productive way to learn how to use the stuff.

kinda late to the party here.... but....
the first time i had air pockets in my mold is when i did a thin coat like tonkers. my previous mold's first coats were a lot thicker and they came out great. i have no idea what my ratio is as i just eyeball it. after a nice 1/2 inch layer i use bandages or burlap and then more plaster.

Hey xdmray, do you usually seal your sculptures with Krylon Crystal Clear(or a similar sealant) if you're working with water-based clay?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back