Best way to achieve a matte colored finish over foam armor?

Kate Bishop

Hi there! I'm working on making an armored bodysuit for the superhero Blue Beetle. Here's a pic of his costume for reference:
3336862-2258400870-Blue_.jpg
I already have some four-way stretch black vinyl picked out for the bodysuit, and I know I'm going to be using foam for the armor. I've found lots of resources for finishes on worbla, but I don't have the funds to add that to the costume. I was hoping I could get some feedback on which techniques or materials you like the best for a colorful matte finish. I'd like something cheap, easy, and realistic looking, but if it only checks off one of those, I'm sure I can make it work :)

I agree with Geo, Plasti Dip would be a cheap and easy solution. It's definitely worked for me in my experience! Keep us posted, always love seeing Blue Beetle builds!

Most people spray latex over it but I was thinking of using plasti dip

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I agree with Geo, Plasti Dip would be a cheap and easy solution. It's definitely worked for me in my experience! Keep us posted, always love seeing Blue Beetle builds!

Thank you both! Plasti Dip looks like the perfect finish, and their blaze blue color is a great match to the shade I'm looking for. I will definitely update you on how the costume is coming :D

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back