Best supplies and project suggestions for a beginner?

ziddersroofurry

Howdy, all. While I've been watching the RPF forum for a long time and enjoy prop & miniature build videos I've never done anything like it. The last time I built a model was in the late 80's and have no idea where to start. My question is what supplies would you suggest a beginner with very little money get and what kind of projects do you think would be a good place for me to start learning. I have an inkling of an idea-glue gun, glue gun glue, mod podge, elmers glue, foamcore and cheap paints-but I figure it would be better to ask a community full of experienced creators in hopes of avoiding as many potentially costly noob mistakes as possible. Thank you for all your advice and for being such an amazing & helpful community. You rock.

Its great you are interested in props and miniatures. Basically what you need is a cutting mat and a sharp knife to start. The rest is determined by what you are trying to build and your particular interests. You have to make something that YOU are passionate about. Research your project, source materials, and have fun.

TazMan2000

There are of course some 'core' tooling... but really the TYPE of projects and the SPECIFIC project will dictate what else is needed.

Perhaps outside of tooling....etc

maybe some time spent on a FREE 3D modeling software? and a $200~ RESIN printer would be in your realm of projects (models and miniatures)

As stated:
cutting mat
cutting tools (blade, pokers, different types of blade tips..etc)
glue(s)
paint
paint brushes (varying sizes)
washes
foam
styrene

just keep collecting and adding to your 'work bench' (corner, box...whatever) :)

I second the suggestion of a Dremel type tool. I've had one for years now and it's come in handy for not only crafting projects, but for small things around the house as well. It's a very good investment since you can use it for so many different things.

Thank you all so much! This has already given me much to think about. I guess the main issue is figuring out some kind of workspace. I have an old desk from the 1940's which is nice because it's sturdy. I just have limited space (I'm stuck in a single small room). I'll figure something out.

Don't let a small space discourage you! I personally keep my cutting mat, knife, and journal for sketches on my desk, and then small pieces of sandpaper and other pens/pencils in the drawer below. Then I have separate storage for spray paints, acrylics, and glues etc like two feet away for convenience. It just takes a few weeks to get everything in place :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back