Best source for Smooth On?

CharlesHouse

I want to make some molds for resin props as well as rubber replicas of them for stunts. What is the best source for price? Also, what is the best Smooth On that will produce a detailed mold, require no degassing, and the mold will last through use?

You can buy directly from them (they have a minimum order though) or one of the distributors listed on their site. Where are you located?

The prices are the same directly from them or their distributors. The only thing I've found that can save a few dollars (around $10) is if you order a trial kit, you can buy it through amazon and get cheaper shipping.

What do you want to mold? That will dictate the best rubber for the job.

I'm in DC.

I want to mold small props and toys. I have a few guns I have built and some cosplay props I want to make copies of in resin and rubber,

I'm in Virginia and I order from Reynolds in Charlotte, NC. I just ordered some Epoxamite Monday and it arrived today.

I'm in Virginia and I order from Reynolds in Charlotte, NC. I just ordered some Epoxamite Monday and it arrived today.
You like their prices? How does it compare with ordering direct? Won't be all that long before I have to start dropping kit parts in rubber for my Eagle. At least I hope not... :)

I've got some Alumilite from Michael's I bought just to play with, but I'm going to need the good stuff to avoid any shrinkage...

costanza-shrinkage.png
My casting was in the pool! It was in the pool!!

The price is the same, but shipping can be cheaper since it's closer. I ordered direct from Smooth-On a couple times (they shipped from Ohio), but they recommended Reynolds to save me on shipping.

Are these places unfamiliar with flat rate?

Shipping is whatever UPS charges, we do not add anything additional.
As mentioned, mold rubber depends on what you are molding against. As long as it isn't sulfur clay or latex, you more than likely can get away with a platinum-based silicone. We offer an easy to use one that needs no scales or special equipment (such as vacuum chambers), simply mix and pour. This is the Mold Star line:
http://www.smooth-on.com/Silicone-Rubber-an/c2_1115_1341/index.html
almost zero shrinkage as well.
We do have a distributor in your area:

Eastern Burlap & Trading Co.
834 W. 25th Street
Norfolk, VA 23517
(757) 622-5914
Fax: (757) 627-5920
www.easternburlap.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Shipping is whatever UPS charges, we do not add anything additional.
As mentioned, mold rubber depends on what you are molding against. As long as it isn't sulfur clay or latex, you more than likely can get away with a platinum-based silicone. We offer an easy to use one that needs no scales or special equipment (such as vacuum chambers), simply mix and pour. This is the Mold Star line:
http://www.smooth-on.com/Silicone-Rubber-an/c2_1115_1341/index.html
almost zero shrinkage as well.
We do have a distributor in your area:

Eastern Burlap & Trading Co.
834 W. 25th Street
Norfolk, VA 23517
(757) 622-5914
Fax: (757) 627-5920
www.easternburlap.com
Hey Beaker, glad to see you posting here. I've got at least one project requiring silicone and resin this year. I'm in the DC metro area, within 45 minutes of where robn1 lives, so should I be using the Norfolk distributor, or the Charlotte one, or does it depend on what I'm ordering?

Also, is there a good resin that's porous and will stand up to hot plastic in a vacuum former? I'm thinking about castable tooling for certain parts. Or should I just go with Hydrocal or Ultracal for that sort of thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Charlotte would be my first choice...
Porous, no...
on this page, click on the thumb nail in the upper right: http://www.smooth-on.com/index.php?cPath=1295_1374
That is one way for a vacuform buck... OR you could just drill some small holes in the resin where you think you will need more pull from...
Onxy or Task 8 can handle lots of heat... other than that, the epoxy in the above link is a good choice...

Charlotte would be my first choice...
Porous, no...
on this page, click on the thumb nail in the upper right: http://www.smooth-on.com/index.php?cPath=1295_1374
That is one way for a vacuform buck... OR you could just drill some small holes in the resin where you think you will need more pull from...
Onxy or Task 8 can handle lots of heat... other than that, the epoxy in the above link is a good choice...
Thanks so much! :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back