Best SFX/VFX Moment

Supa troop

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Which Special FX moment when you first saw it, totally blew you away.

I'd have to say mine is from Terminator 2, the moment when the T-1000 gets covered in the Liquid Nitrogen, as it freezes he tries to walk and begins to break apart, totally awsome and blew me away the first time i saw that

Re: Best SPFx Moment

Jurassic Park where the first come upon the brachiosaur while in the jeeps. That had me going "OOOOO" for a good couple of minutes after.

The first one I vividly recall being aware of and impressed by was the melting face in Raiders. Certainly not the "best" moment, but an indelible one for me.

The first time I was ever "blown away" by a special effects shot was when I saw Starship Troopers in the theater. When the Mobile Infantry board up and drop onto Klandathu, it was an amazing shot that got my heart pumping and definately raised the bar.

I am still in awe of the Snow Walkers in Empire. Love it. A close second is Jedi during the attack on the Death Star. That one shot with all those ships in the scene where the Falcon flies at you. That is a great shot even with today's technology.

Sweet

Jurassic Park where the first come upon the brachiosaur while in the jeeps. That had me going "OOOOO" for a good couple of minutes after.

I know what you mean. It was like, "I'm looking at a real dinosaur. I can't believe it." Definitely one of those great FIRSTS as far as special effects goes.
Kids today are so spoiled with special effects. They can't appreciate the crazy work that went into Star Wars and some older movies when there was no CGI.

Sweet

I would definitely echo the Jurassic Park votes.
Superman: The Movie
As far as sfx battles, LOTR movies really blew me away. Never felt like I was watching a bunch of cg people/creatures duking it out - but it was.
As far as water sfx, The Perfect Storm kind of broke the mold. Lots of movies after that have used the same stuff poorly.
As far as practical effects, Aliens really stays with me. Specifically the first fight underneath the reactor.

T-Rex breaking fence down in rain to get to jeep. This actually stunned me a teensy bit more than the SW opening shot.

After the SW opening shot, my fave FX moment is the beauty shot of the Falcon entering the DS hangar. No, the Falcon leaving the DS hangar. No, the (original) armada shot of the rebel ships. No, Kong v the Tyrannosaur (original). No, the cyclops on the beach at the start of 7th Voyage. No, the 4 X-wings peeling off and diving to the DS with the two Y-wings holding position behind them. No, the skeletons in Jason. No, the UFOs passing Melinda, Guffey, Dreyfuss and the hillbillies on the road. No, the 2 TIEs crossing from upper right to lower left behind the Falcon. No, the etc.

Any of the T-1000 bullet hits!!! When I found out that they were Winston gags and NOT cg!

I like any movie that uses fx and you aren't aware of them. Also, there's only, like, 6 cg shots in T2.

I like how they use clever story telling in lieu of FX.

For example. You see the T-1000 morph in the begining, then, for most of the film, you don't even see it on screen. They show a before shot, then you hear the metalic morphing sound, while T-1000 is off screen, then an after shot, and you'll swear that you SAW him change, but you didn't!

I would definitely echo the Jurassic Park votes.
Superman: The Movie
As far as sfx battles, LOTR movies really blew me away. Never felt like I was watching a bunch of cg people/creatures duking it out - but it was.
As far as water sfx, The Perfect Storm kind of broke the mold. Lots of movies after that have used the same stuff poorly.
As far as practical effects, Aliens really stays with me. Specifically the first fight underneath the reactor.

A funny thing about this. A previous attempt at water cg was successfully used in '89... On a small project called "disney's the little mermaid."

:p

I'm going with that panning shot in Jurassic park as well. I was at a point where I thought I understood Special and Visual effects pretty well having seen plenty of Making of specials and the like up to that point. And with that scene I was dumbfounded. I just wasn't aware that CGI was at that level.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back