Best SFX/VFX Moment

Re: Best SPFx Moment

I have to go with the Star Destroyer as well.

Los Angeles being nuked in T2 is second.

Another good one is the opening of ST First Contact- the pull back from Picard's pupil to the vastness of the Borg ship interior. (I guess that was their "Star Destroyer" moment. ;))

Kevin

I was 16 when Star Wars came out in '77, and I remember during the previews wanting to get up to pee. Then the movie starts and I saw the Star Destroyer. I didn't leave my seat until the end of the credits.

Star Destroyer. Without a doubt.

Recently? The Atmo Drop in BSG. I was literally on the edge of my seat, slack-jawed. My wife said I "whooped" when it jumped, pulling that air around the Galactica inward with a bang.... amazingly unexpected and effective, and simply brilliant for a TV show!

Ray Harryhausen stop motion animation in the Sinbad film series. I was but a Youngling when I first started watching those movies in the drive in theaters!

Also for television the original Battlestar Galactica. Space battles were awesome for the day.

More modern version of a SFX in CGI is Davy Jones!!

AHN Star Destroyer for sure!

I also loved the "Matrix style" explosion in Swordfish (the rest of the movie was crap)

And perhaps not an spfx as such, but also just about everything David Fincher does with the camera. First time I saw Alien3 in the Cinema, and the Alien was running on the ceiling upside down, and we saw the chase through the eyes of the Alien..... Wowser

And let's not forget 2001. The "running scene" aboard Discovery. I miss Stanley

For me the practical shot is the Star Destroyer, jaw dropping, although the Falcon fighting in the asteroid field is a close second.

I think for CG, the car chase/crash in Children of Men because it's so transparent.

6669-id-monster.jpg

Parting the Red Sea
10-commandments3.jpg

The Taun Taun, a stop-motion puppet blue screened into a location shot. It's flawless.
0027.jpg

I'm glad somebody mentioned THE THING.

No CGI, this is old school SPFX. They break out a defibulator and
when they apply the shock paddles, the patient's chest breaks
wide open, swallows the rescue workers hands and arms up
to the elbows, and then bites them off.

As the character staggers back screaming, blood geysering
everywhere; I said to myself in shock "WTF did I just see?"

Dark movie theatre in the early 80s, R rating, John Capenter
and Kurt Russell....

Good times.

Yeah, The Thing defibulator scene and JP's T-Rex escape for me. Like Alien, wish I could have seen it (The Thing) in the Theater. Now that I think about it, the chestburster scene would have been mine, but by the time I saw it, I knew what was gonna happen.

While a lot of SPFx Moments wow'd me, one that I thought was particularly well done was in Empire Strikes Back when the Millennium Falcon escaped Hoth with Luke looking back at it:

Millennium Falcon Escapes Hoth

There is just something about that scene that was just so incredibly well done. The YouTube doesn't do it justice, but every time I see this scene I could SWEAR it was real.

Here' a couple not mentioned that got me when I was younger and still work to this day...

Friday the 13th part 4 at the end when Jason is whacked in the head with the machete and then slides down the blade to the floor.

The scene in Aliens where Hicks pokes his head up into the ceiling and you see it's crawling with Aliens about to drop in on them. That was a huge "Holy Crap!" moment the first time I saw it.

Pretty much any scene from Empire that had Yoda. I'm still amazed they did what they did using a puppet.

Superman - The Movie:

Catching Lois Lane and then the helicopter.

The whole scene just works. The editing (a Spfx in its own right), Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder's acting and the John Williams score. Perfect.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back