Best sculpting bust/fom for generic head sizes?

KJC

This question is mostly for those that produce masks, superhero cowls, helmets. What kind of sculpting bust/form/armature do you use to make sure the finished casts will fit the typical generic head size of 23-24 in? I have a Monster Makers Ed head, but i am not liking the proportions. The nose is very big and does not have nostrils to line up breathing holes, the head is a little bulbous on top, and the ears are not pronounced. Ideally I want something that could also be used for generic prosthetic creation as well.

I recently purchased David Mosher's head sculpting form. As soon as I get it, I can post a little review of it. I plan on sculpting some cowls, and maybe zombie prosthetics on it.

The Mosher form is an actual cast of someone's head so proportionally it's much better than the Ed head. I have several different forms and I use different ones for different projects. I would recommend the Mosher form as a great all around form. Mosher also sells corrected and keyed face casts meant for making generic prosthetics.

This is the head that I went with to start my first sculpting project. The proportions match up to my head pretty nicely after doing some initial measurements.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CB05TXU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

might also buy another to use to display some of my helmets

I used this same head for my Twisty mask, and it works okay, for overall head size, but the face is *extremely* skinny, and I wouldn't recommend for general work. I had to build it up quite a bit before actually sculpting on top of it.

I used this same head for my Twisty mask, and it works okay, for overall head size, but the face is *extremely* skinny, and I wouldn't recommend for general work. I had to build it up quite a bit before actually sculpting on top of it.
zoolander-blue-steel-1200-x-791-67kb.jpg

The Mosher form is an actual cast of someone's head so proportionally it's much better than the Ed head. I have several different forms and I use different ones for different projects. I would recommend the Mosher form as a great all around form. Mosher also sells corrected and keyed face casts meant for making generic prosthetics.

The Ed head also originates from a life cast, it was just modified. The neck was extended so that you could sculpt larger necks to combat shrinkage.

I own both of Mosher's head forms and they are great. I'd certainly recommend them.

The Ed head also originates from a life cast, it was just modified. The neck was extended so that you could sculpt larger necks to combat shrinkage.

I own both of Mosher's head forms and they are great. I'd certainly recommend them.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll probably order one.

Thanks for the compliments on my Sculpting forms for those who bought them,
if anyone has any questions about my forms just let me know, I just found this post Today... :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back