Best rattle can chrome/metal paint?

Monkeyboi69

I am looking to practice painting and weathering a Quake logo before I paint some larger projects I have on my bench.

I need a decent metal paint as a base layer and have been very unhappy with sparkly acrylic paints and unfortunately I do not have a airbrush yet or I'd buy some Alclad in a heartbeat, be a few months till I can buy one unfortunately.

I can get Duplicolor Chrome and Rustoleum Chrome here in town but if something is better I'd be willing to grab it off Amazon.

If you have an Ace store, their Ace Rust Stop Aluminum is VERY shiny, really looks like polished aluminum if you prep right.

-Rog

Alclad actually sells a chrome in a rattle can believe it or not! I’m not sure if I can link it, but give it a google and you should be able to find a seller. I used it once, and while it isn’t as nice of a finish as their airbrush paints, it should be pretty close if you put the proper prep work in. Spaz Stix makes one too, which looks very similar.
You’ll still want a smooth gloss black base, and you have to lightly dust it on in layers. Leave it to dry for a good few hours and then lightly wipe away any dust with a clean dry cloth.

As long as you don’t use alcohol to thin your weathering colors you shouldn’t have to seal it. Acrylics thinned with water only. Rattle can sealers will unfortunately turn the chrome into a dull grey, so you’ll want to avoid them if possible.

Oh I did not know that, I'll have to check to see if I can find that.

Thankfully most of my stuff is for display so a sealer isn't 100% required

Spaz Stix Mirror Chrome lacquer is really shiny but moderately pricey and requires many coats. I think it's actually intended for spraying the inside surface of clear car bodies, but it seems to work OK on exterior. I've tested it a little but haven't used it on a "real" piece.

Less expensive but almost as shiny are two other alternatives: VHT Plate Finish (automotive) and Ace Metallic "Mirrored Silver" (Ace Hardware). Both are enamels. I'm pretty happy with both of those.

Spaz Stix Mirror Chrome lacquer is really shiny but moderately pricey and requires many coats. I think it's actually intended for spraying the inside surface of clear car bodies, but it seems to work OK on exterior. I've tested it a little but haven't used it on a "real" piece.

Less expensive but almost as shiny are two other alternatives: VHT Plate Finish (automotive) and Ace Metallic "Mirrored Silver" (Ace Hardware). Both are enamels. I'm pretty happy with both of those.
That's two now that recommends the Ace hardware one, not even sure we have Ace hardware up here

Molotov liquid chrome is the best with Alcald Clear Kote or clear urethane sealer (marker or airbrushed), Spaz Stix but you need base paint and sealer from them too( the cans are very small only contain 3.5oz), Alcald paints are fantastic but for larger projects way too expensive. Would get an airbrush though cheaper in the long run as you usually need much less paint than a whole can.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back