Best / most economical ways to replicate a coin?

hydin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have a coin in my possession that I want to replicate. It is not any form of US currency, or really anyone else's anymore. It's an old ancient coin.

I want to make a bunch to put in a leather bag, maybe replicate a few other designs from the past to add to a "treasure" bag.

My question is pretty simple. What's the best way to replicate a coin, and what's the most economical way to replicate it?

I would imagine the best way would be to have it laser scanned, and printed out (sorta how they did the coin for Drive Angry). Only problem is I don't really have access to a laser scanner.

I understand I will probably end up sending this off to someone if I do end up replicating it, but I was hoping I could get some leads here on the board.

When I google it, it just takes me to those places where you can make challenge coins, and frankly these are a lot smaller. About the size of a nickel or so.

Any helps appreciated on this one :)

Chris

mold it and cast it in plastic, done deal.

I had to do a gag where a guy melts a coin over an open fire, pours the melted metal into a bullet mold then pull the bullet all in one action. Cast the coin out of a silver crayon, done deal:

33u6e02.jpg

If you need them to feel and act like metal, make a silicone mold and cast it in pewter or lead. Without looking it up I believe silicone rubber can handle their temperatures. Smooth-On also sells powders that either simulate metal or actually are powdered metal. But the powdered metal can settle out of the resin if it is very slow curing.

I actually came across this at my Hobby Lobby and it's very simple to use. You can use this and cast a plastic version of it; should come out pretty good.

Might go the pewter route... I was hoping to keep it in metal (or A metal). Nothing quite as cool as a bag of coins that actually clinks :)

Appreciate the advice so far (and Rob, that is AWESOME. I never would have thought about crayons!)

Chris

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back