Best mold for 1/6 scale body sculptures?

Discussion in 'Sculpture and Makeup Effects' started by Dkiltz292, May 12, 2012.

1. Dkiltz292

Dkiltz292 New Member

I am trying to mold some of my sculptures that are the figurine type. they are made from an oil based clay with a middle support so they are sturdy. so my question is what type of mold is best ? sillicone mold, rubber mold, 2 part mold. i have been looking online for the last 2 days but i just cant find a direct answer. if any one could help i would greatly apreciate it.

2. Jaded Monk

Jaded Monk Well-Known Member

You really only have two choices. Vinyl really isn't worth the trouble. You can do a Urethane mold or a Silicone mold. Urethan is cheaper, but if you have no experience it may be a moot point. Silicone is the most forgiving material. The type of mold depends on the complexity of your part. Can you imagine cutting the figure free and having a usable mold? If the answer is no, then you're doing a two part mold.

There you go. A two-part silicone mold. Check you tube for Smooth-on, BITY, Alumilite and more, I'm accidentally forgetting several.

Cheers!

3. Dkiltz292

Dkiltz292 New Member

awsome thank you for the quick responce, 2 part mold it is then

4. swgeek

swgeek Sr Member

You also need to be careful when molding oil clay with silicone. If the clay contains sulfur it may inhibit the cure of the silicone and make a big mess of your mold.

5. BrundelFly

BrundelFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes! if you have Sulfer in your clay, then you might have some issues.