best model paint for projects?

EJ Watts

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello-

I've had great results from tamiya spray cans, but I'd like anyones opinion on exactly how much better they are than the regular spray paints available from a hardware store. the price difference is pretty substantial, those little tamiya cans aren't cheap! Any info regarding your experience would be much appreciated.

-ej

I use Dupli-color automotive paint.. it goes on pretty thin & won't cover up any details. & It's tough...you can use almost any thinner,clear coat, washes,etc.on top of it without any damage to the paint... also it's sandable.

Last edited:
First let me say this... I am by no means on the level that the others on here are. Some of these guys could be doing builds in Hollywood!

That said, I do this for fun!:)
Back in the day when I was younger and did models I used a lot of Testor paints, mainly their Model Master series. Back then there wasn't a lot of import brands like there is now. I use a variety of paints now, mainly because there are no local hobby shops anymore. I still use Testors, but pretty much only the Metalizers and just if I need a metal look for hull plating or something like that. I did find a local hobby store (by local I mean an hour 15 minutes one way) that sells Tamiya paints and I use some of those too- again it depends on what I am painting and what effect I am going for.

I also use acrylic craft paints thinned for spraying. A lot of people use them nowadays, I like them mainly because they are easy to source, inexpensive, and have an almost unlimited amount of colors! Here's how I thin mine-

4oz of water (distilled if available)
4oz of Windex
1oz of Rubbing Alcohol

Put the above in its own bottle. When ready to spray mix the thinning solution and paint in a 50/50 mix, stir it up good until you get an even consistency like milk.

Some people add a couple drops of Future or Pledge floor wax.
Other's will probably recommend other paints, but these work well for me if used right and clear coated after they dry. I guess I'm kind of old school. If something looks like red oxide primer to me, then I use red oxide primer! I don't worry about custom mixing if there is something else out there. Besides, I don't like mixing customs because they are so hard to do an exact match later on if I have to do touch ups. Createx has some really nice prethinned colors.

Car paints that is properly reduced. Cheaper, not as foul smelling as Model Masters etc and dries fast. I like Tamiya paints but not the prices.

If you are going to be doing alot of model builds, I would recommend investing in an airbrush. It will save you money on paint in the long run. And, you don't have to get super expensive airbrushes to do a good job. The Iwata Neo or Badger Patriot are fine starting airbrushes. The compressor will cost a bit, but you don't have to get an ultra expensive compressor either.

If you do go with airbrush, I can recommend model paints because I've used almost every paint out there, including newer market ones.

Recommended Paints:

(lacquers or alcohol based paints)

1. Mr. Paint (MRP) - THE BEST model paint out out there.

2. Mr. Color - Not to be confused with Mr. Paint. Not made by the same company. These are produced in Japan. They are fantastic but thicker than MRP for more coverage.

3.Tamiya Acrylic Bottles - Almost as good as Mr. Color, but some of their range can be a bit chalky, particularly the whites. Most non-white colors are awesome, though.

(Water-based paints)

1. Mr. Paint Aqua (MRP Aqua) - This line of paints is fairly new, and they don't have all their colors built up yet, but MRP aqua is everything Vallejo Air claims to be, but actually works much better. You won't get tip dry as easily with this stuff and it goes on thin and smooth. You have to slowly build up layers.

2. Vallejo Model Air - This stuff is great, but it's advertised as being able to use in the airbrush right out of the bottle. While that is technically true, it doesn't perform very well straight out of the bottle. The best way to use Vallejo Model Air is to thin it 1 part Vallejo Airbrush thinner to 3 parts paint. Also, for every 10 drops of paint, I add 2 drops of Vallejo Flow Improver to that same mix.

3. Mission Models Paints - These paints are a little different in that they have to be thinned with a special thinner. They can only be thinned with Mission Models own thinner. Some people prefer these over Vallejo Model Air, but they have a more limited color range. I personally couldn't get them to perform as well as Vallejo Model Air, but perhaps it's because I need more practice. Other people swear by them.

Last edited:
Hi,

Were do you get the Mr. Paint (MRP) from?..... I see a lot of Mr. Hobby and Mr. Color. Is the only difference that they are thicker than the Mr. Paint. I don't mind thinning if the quality is good. Being thicker also means the paint will go further if it needs to be thinned.

I personally use Polytranspar lacquer paints and they go down smooth, even and dries fast. I always use a few drops of retarder to let the paint level before it dries. They have a limited color range so I mostly get the primary colors and mix my own custom colors. I would like to find another source of good lacquer paints.

I also use the Tamiya acrylic and when properly thinned they spray very good.

I always use Duplicolor primer and sometimes when a lot of taping (Aztecs) will be done I will spray a Duplicolor adhesion promoter before the primer to lessen chance of any paint lifting when removing the tape.

Thanks,

If you are going to be doing alot of model builds, I would recommend investing in an airbrush. It will save you money on paint in the long run. And, you don't have to get super expensive airbrushes to do a good job. The Iwata Neo or Badger Patriot are fine starting airbrushes. The compressor will cost a bit, but you don't have to get an ultra expensive compressor either.

If you do go with airbrush, I can recommend model paints because I've used almost every paint out there, including newer market ones.

Recommended Paints:

(lacquers or alcohol based paints)

1. Mr. Paint (MRP) - THE BEST model paint out out there.

2. Mr. Color - Not to be confused with Mr. Paint. Not made by the same company. These are produced in Japan. They are fantastic but thicker than MRP for more coverage.

3.Tamiya Acrylic Bottles - Almost as good as Mr. Color, but some of their range can be a bit chalky, particularly the whites. Most non-white colors are awesome, though.

(Water-based paints)

1. Mr. Paint Aqua (MRP Aqua) - This line of paints is fairly new, and they don't have all their colors built up yet, but MRP aqua is everything Vallejo Air claims to be, but actually works much better. You won't get tip dry as easily with this stuff and it goes on thin and smooth. You have to slowly build up layers.

2. Vallejo Model Air - This stuff is great, but it's advertised as being able to use in the airbrush right out of the bottle. While that is technically true, it doesn't perform very well straight out of the bottle. The best way to use Vallejo Model Air is to thin it 1 part Vallejo Airbrush thinner to 3 parts paint. Also, for every 10 drops of paint, I add 2 drops of Vallejo Flow Improver to that same mix.

3. Mission Models Paints - These paints are a little different in that they have to be thinned with a special thinner. They can only be thinned with Mission Models own thinner. Some people prefer these over Vallejo Model Air, but they have a more limited color range. I personally couldn't get them to perform as well as Vallejo Model Air, but perhaps it's because I need more practice. Other people swear by them.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back